Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hmmmm...
Quote: @pumpf said:
Case is what he is: a back-up QB.  He can (with help) win games... but he will (probably) not be the main reason for the win.  In other words, he is a game-manager.  He had a great game (against a lousy defense)... and has been mediocre since then.  He is who he is.  I think he's a great back-up and should be signed to be our long-term back-up.  But he's not our future.  Teddy might be... Sloter might be.  If Teddy can get worked back in, I would like to see what he's got (rather than waiting 'til the off-season).  Same thing for Sloter (if it comes to that).
This. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@pumpf said:
Case is what he is: a back-up QB.  He can (with help) win games... but he will (probably) not be the main reason for the win.  In other words, he is a game-manager.  He had a great game (against a lousy defense)... and has been mediocre since then.  He is who he is.  I think he's a great back-up and should be signed to be our long-term back-up.  But he's not our future.  Teddy might be... Sloter might be.  If Teddy can get worked back in, I would like to see what he's got (rather than waiting 'til the off-season).  Same thing for Sloter (if it comes to that).
But why is it just "assumed" that Case is a backup QB?  I think he is easily better than some of the starters that are playing in this league.  His season stats of 64.2%, with 5 TDs and 1 INT, and a QB rating of 93.1 suggest to me that he should not automatically be placed in the backup QB role. 
Because we watch him miss open players in the progression, miss wide open throws and lack the arm strength to challenge teams deep.

There were a lot of PIs called yesterday. And he was throwing against backups and backups to backups. Neither of those will happen very often going forward.

I personally believe that some folks think League Average means mediocre all the time. In actuality it means a player looks better than average on some days and like a fringe player on others.

Case lost to a Lions team missing several starters that just got housed by the Saints. He beat a Bucs Defense that just got housed by the Cardinals.

Look, he's inarguably an above average backup. That doesn't make him a starter. Neither do wins against injury riddled teams.
Also this.

The fact that Case hasn't caught on- despite being on some really QB-poor teams is ONE indication that he is destined to be a career back-up.  What I've seen from him (so far) is the other.  Of course, the only "fact" here... is that those are my opinions.  Frankly, I want to see what Sloter can do... because I think he might be better than anyone on our roster (with a little time).

How can Sloter possibly have more upside than Keenum? 

I get he is a sweet prospect. But he hasnt done anything in the NFL. Two weeks into this year, we were all joking about how meaningless the preseason actually is/was. 

I think its an attraction to the unknown; if guys prove they don't have "it," then we might as well try a guy with little to no career accolades at the position, little experience and a giant learning curve because... they havent proved they can't.

Why not just resign Hieneke? At what point, if ever really, did he prove he won't be a starter some day?

I wouldnt pull Keenum out until he starts letting guys on the team down... i would eye making the switch in game and prepare Keenum week in and out until that happens.

Case couldnt beat the Steelers on the road. The Steelers couldnt beat Chicago. Case beat Chicago. I don't know about comparing wins/losses between our opponents...

...Stafford tossed 3 INTs against the Saints. Is that some kinda of writting on the wall? Their pass defense has been garbage all year... Probably not.

I would roll with Keenum until he puts up a STINKER and we need a shot in the arm. Teddy gets time to shake some rust, Bradford gets more time to heal... go from there.

We are 4-2, we certainly aren't desperate. Its too easy to assume Bradford/Bridgewater WILL win games that Keenum does. The last thing we want to do is make a move that wasnt entirely nessessary and fall below .500...

Food for thought---If Teddy makes it back ---what makes you so sure he'll be at the level he was just prior to his injury(A guy doesn't play for a year + and some think he just steps in at that level.) 

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:

I get he is a sweet prospect. But he hasnt done anything in the NFL. Two weeks into this year, we were all joking about how meaningless the preseason actually is/was. 

I think its an attraction to the unknown; if guys prove they don't have "it," then we might as well try a guy with little to no career accolades at the position, little experience and a giant learning curve because... they havent proved they can't.

Why not just resign Hieneke? At what point, if ever really, did he prove he won't be a starter some day?

I wouldnt pull Keenum out until he starts letting guys on the team down... i would eye making the switch in game and prepare Keenum week in and out until that happens.

Case couldnt beat the Steelers on the road. The Steelers couldnt beat Chicago. Case beat Chicago. I don't know about comparing wins/losses between our opponents...

...Stafford tossed 3 INTs against the Saints. Is that some kinda of writting on the wall? Their pass defense has been garbage all year... Probably not.

I would roll with Keenum until he puts up a STINKER and we need a shot in the arm. Teddy gets time to shake some rust, Bradford gets more time to heal... go from there.

We are 4-2, we certainly aren't desperate. Its too easy to assume Bradford/Bridgewater WILL win games that Keenum does. The last thing we want to do is make a move that wasnt entirely nessessary and fall below .500...
I don't think Case beat Chicago,  the team won with him at QB yes,  but I wouldn't say it was because of his play.  About all I would say in that game was he didn't lose it for us.

I don't think Case is a bad QB,  just no where near consistent enough and is a little sloppy with the football.  He is extremely lucky to only have 1 pick so far this year,  and that kind of luck usually runs out fairly soon.

Sloter might turn out to be absolutely nothing. He might end up back on the practice squad, who knows? Yes, it was a bit flashy for a UDFA when they signed for a nice sum for the PS, but really, they have no real skin in the game for him. He has upside and they needed an arm in practice. But the odds are still against him. I'd love for him to be something more, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BlackMagic7 said:

I don't think Case beat Chicago,  the team won with him at QB yes,  but I wouldn't say it was because of his play.  About all I would say in that game was he didn't lose it for us.

I don't think Case is a bad QB,  just no where near consistent enough and is a little sloppy with the football.  He is extremely lucky to only have 1 pick so far this year,  and that kind of luck usually runs out fairly soon.
Well, we certainly weren't going to win that game with Bradford in the game, and so we switched to Keenum and ended up winning.  It was also in Chicago, a place the Vikings had only won 3 times in the last 17 years.  So yes, I completely think that Keenum was one of the main reasons that we won that game.

Case went 17-21 (81%) for 140 yards and 1 TD with no turnovers in a little over a half.  And that is coming in cold off the bench.  And yet he still gets little to no credit, I don't get it.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:

He has more "upside" because we already know what Case's ceiling is.  Now, "upside" is another word for "potential".  I don't think there is any doubt that Sloter has more "potential" than Case (because we already know who/what Case is).  BUT that doesn't mean that he actually WILL be better than Sloter.  That's why it's called "potential" (and the "upside" is that he has a stronger arm than Case).

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

Man I don't know about that. Case came in and instantly it was a different ballgame. Had case been in the game from the get go I think that game is not nearly as ugly.