Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Homelessness in California
(09-02-2024, 07:04 PM)Bullazin Wrote: What is it about Americans that we want to complain about  other people’s shit so much like they are really causing us problems

Gratitude my brothers

Well it's literally shit, drugs, and garbage amongst other homeless issues that does cause me a problem and inconveniences and makes society less safe. 

If we are talking about weed...I'm all for it being used responsibly. Far less dangerous and has ruined far less lives than alcohol.

(09-02-2024, 12:19 PM)Kentis Wrote: I think they should just put ‘em on a bus to Florida, they’ll know how to handle them!!! Angel

We have enough already thanks! Wink

(09-02-2024, 07:23 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: Well it's literally shit, drugs, and garbage amongst other homeless issues that does cause me a problem and inconveniences and makes society less safe. 

If we are talking about weed...I'm all for it being used responsibly. Far less dangerous and has ruined far less lives than alcohol.

I still don’t see any of that affecting you. How so?  If not gratitude then how about acceptance of the facts. 

Homelessness is a societal failure due mainly to income inequality. If you look at a homeless map you will see it is concentrated in high housing cost areas. It’s not a choice by a huge margin.

(09-03-2024, 07:41 AM)Bullazin Wrote: I still don’t see any of that affecting you. How so?  If not gratitude then how about acceptance of the facts. 

Homelessness is a societal failure due mainly to income inequality. If you look at a homeless map you will see it is concentrated in high housing cost areas. It’s not a choice by a huge margin.

Way more complicated than that. Also, mental health and drug abuse are much more prominent issues than income inequality.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(09-03-2024, 07:41 AM)Bullazin Wrote: I still don’t see any of that affecting you. How so?  If not gratitude then how about acceptance of the facts. 

High housing costs happen in cities.

Homeless go to the cities because its easier to travel within a smaller area, beg for money and if they're into it, their drug of choice.

Wait, you don't think it's reasonable to complain about someone taking a shit on your doorstep?
[-] The following 1 user Likes AGRforever's post:

Going to take a lot of $$ and effort to fix things...

Addiction and mental illness imo are root causes.  So what is the role of govt in this one? Is the $ going to come from state? fed?

you up for a tax increase to deal with it?  Its not an issue we hear much from Trump or Harris on.

(09-03-2024, 08:51 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Going to take a lot of $$ and effort to fix things...

Addiction and mental illness imo are root causes.  So what is the role of govt in this one? Is the $ going to come from state? fed?

you up for a tax increase to deal with it?  Its not an issue we hear much from Trump or Harris on.

Neither of them will want to take any part of ownership of the root causes.

The truth is...NO ONE had a guidebook for this day and age. No one. We are bombarded with images, advertising, propaganda, manipulations, and subliminal messaging while our own devices eavesdrop on our personal and professional lives. I was explaining to a Gen-Zer that I'd had no problems expressing my opinions in public before the "keyboard warriors" got common, and then had to explain that the web wasn't totally normalized with everyone until the late 90's. He seemed to think we'd been arguing online since JFK or something.

It's all very new, and evolution can't keep up with all the information smacking into our neurons on a daily basis. One of the classes I took around 2012 said that we were seeing/hearing 2000-3000 advertisements per day in a typical urban existence...that's billboards, radio, TV, all the ads in the margins of our favorite web pages, etc etc etc...and that's over a decade ago.

Many people can't cope. Anti-anxiety meds are flying off shelves, therapy is practically assigned at birth, and a ton of the cannabis products exist to enable "switching off", even if it means just being a giggling dufus for a couple of relatively peaceful hours. Throw in the ridiculous costs vs wages of education, housing, groceries, fuel, and slews of news about hatred and a new cold war with yet more middle east drama added to the mix...and it's just too much for some people.

Both "main" parties feed off the issues, the hysteria, the blame-mongering, and both work to avoid responsibility in any of it...but, they had all the authority in this country for many generations, so it's long past time they were called to the carpet for their part in society's craters.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

Some things I think:
  • Doctors that prescribe (highly?) addictive medications should be required to provide services for ensuring that those people are given the assistance needed in exiting the treatment plan without an addiction.
  • My gut feeling is that our poor quality food supply (ultra-processed foods, low in nutrients, high in sugar and laced with pesticides/herbicides/fungicides/insecticides/etc and other things designed to kill life) can’t be good for this.  I think positive mental and physical health is much more likely when consuming good foods than bad foods.  As a Minnesotan it’s impossible to ignore that our farmers aren’t growing people food.  They’re either growing industrial inputs or non-natural feed for livestock.  Start subsidizing organic food for people.  Slowly remove subsidies for corn, soybeans, rapeseed, etc.
  • I think homelessness/addiction/etc are correlated with hopelessness, and fixing hopelessness will help homelessness and addiction, and even if it doesn’t, it will help the rest of us.  Things that will help most of us and maybe will trickle down to addiction/homelessness:
    • Elimination of fractional reserve banking.  Fractional Reserve Banking mathematically ensures that each generation gets more in debt than the last generation.  It also provides the banks with money that they use to buy the government.  This is our fundamental issue.
    • Control of housing prices.  It should not be the norm, that people spend their entire working life in debt paying off their mortgage.
      • Firstly, I think there has to be some control of how much a person can borrow to purchase a house.  Right now, there’s nothing that stops people from indebting themselves forever to buy a house, and when housing is a necessity, people will just keep cranking up the debt until housing prices are unreasonable.  Make it illegal for banks to create new money for loans.  If more money is needed, this should be created by the people, for the people, and any profits are returned to the people not bankers.
      • Subsidize new housing until there’s an excess of housing on the market.  I don’t know how to do this, but I do know that if there’s not enough houses (too low of supply) prices go up.  A surplus of houses will keep prices down.
      • I think there needs to be separation of for-profit housing (rentals and air-bnbs) and housing owned by it’s occupants.  Taxes should be high for those profiting off housing and returned to the people at large.  I think we should keep track of how much housing we need to satisfy the housing owned by it’s occupants, and if air-bnbs or rentals are at adequate levels, taxes are relatively low for them, if they’re preventing regular people from buying houses taxes go way up to either keep them out of the market or stimulate new housing builds.
    • Control of medical prices.
      • We all know this situation is bad.  Almost any other medical system would be better.  We don’t need to do anything crazy, just adopt one of the health care systems from any of the countries with dramatically better health care for lower costs.

(09-03-2024, 09:03 AM)Zanary Wrote: Neither of them will want to take any part of ownership of the root causes.

The truth is...NO ONE had a guidebook for this day and age. No one. We are bombarded with images, advertising, propaganda, manipulations, and subliminal messaging while our own devices eavesdrop on our personal and professional lives. I was explaining to a Gen-Zer that I'd had no problems expressing my opinions in public before the "keyboard warriors" got common, and then had to explain that the web wasn't totally normalized with everyone until the late 90's. He seemed to think we'd been arguing online since JFK or something.

It's all very new, and evolution can't keep up with all the information smacking into our neurons on a daily basis. One of the classes I took around 2012 said that we were seeing/hearing 2000-3000 advertisements per day in a typical urban existence...that's billboards, radio, TV, all the ads in the margins of our favorite web pages, etc etc etc...and that's over a decade ago.

Many people can't cope. Anti-anxiety meds are flying off shelves, therapy is practically assigned at birth, and a ton of the cannabis products exists to enable "switching off", even if it means just being a giggling dufus for a couple of relatively peaceful hours. Throw in the ridiculous costs vs wages of education, housing, groceries, fuel, and slews of news about hatred and a new cold war with yet more middle east drama added to the mix...and it's just too much for some people.

Both "main" parties feed off the issues, the hysteria, the blame-mongering, and both work to avoid responsibility in any of it...but, they had all the authority in this country for many generations, so it's long past time they were called to the carpet for their part in society's craters.
Great post Zan I agree with a ton of this

(09-03-2024, 09:34 AM)medaille Wrote: Some things I think:
  • Doctors that prescribe (highly?) addictive medications should be required to provide services for ensuring that those people are given the assistance needed in exiting the treatment plan without an addiction.
  • My gut feeling is that our poor quality food supply (ultra-processed foods, low in nutrients, high in sugar and laced with pesticides/herbicides/fungicides/insecticides/etc and other things designed to kill life) can’t be good for this.  I think positive mental and physical health is much more likely when consuming good foods than bad foods.  As a Minnesotan it’s impossible to ignore that our farmers aren’t growing people food.  They’re either growing industrial inputs or non-natural feed for livestock.  Start subsidizing organic food for people.  Slowly remove subsidies for corn, soybeans, rapeseed, etc.
  • I think homelessness/addiction/etc are correlated with hopelessness, and fixing hopelessness will help homelessness and addiction, and even if it doesn’t, it will help the rest of us.  Things that will help most of us and maybe will trickle down to addiction/homelessness:
    • Elimination of fractional reserve banking.  Fractional Reserve Banking mathematically ensures that each generation gets more in debt than the last generation.  It also provides the banks with money that they use to buy the government.  This is our fundamental issue.
    • Control of housing prices.  It should not be the norm, that people spend their entire working life in debt paying off their mortgage.
      • Firstly, I think there has to be some control of how much a person can borrow to purchase a house.  Right now, there’s nothing that stops people from indebting themselves forever to buy a house, and when housing is a necessity, people will just keep cranking up the debt until housing prices are unreasonable.  Make it illegal for banks to create new money for loans.  If more money is needed, this should be created by the people, for the people, and any profits are returned to the people not bankers.
      • Subsidize new housing until there’s an excess of housing on the market.  I don’t know how to do this, but I do know that if there’s not enough houses (too low of supply) prices go up.  A surplus of houses will keep prices down.
      • I think there needs to be separation of for-profit housing (rentals and air-bnbs) and housing owned by it’s occupants.  Taxes should be high for those profiting off housing and returned to the people at large.  I think we should keep track of how much housing we need to satisfy the housing owned by it’s occupants, and if air-bnbs or rentals are at adequate levels, taxes are relatively low for them, if they’re preventing regular people from buying houses taxes go way up to either keep them out of the market or stimulate new housing builds.
      • We all know this situation is bad.  Almost any other medical system would be better.  We don’t need to do anything crazy, just adopt one of the health care systems from any of the countries with dramatically better health care for lower costs.
Great post Medaille

(09-03-2024, 08:44 AM)AGRforever Wrote: High housing costs happen in cities.

Homeless go to the cities because its easier to travel within a smaller area, beg for money and if they're into it, their drug of choice.

Wait, you don't think it's reasonable to complain about someone taking a shit on your doorstep?
My point exactly. What will complaining do to help the sitch?

(09-03-2024, 09:34 AM)medaille Wrote: Some things I think:
Great post Medaille

Problems with todays society homeless and alike lays at the feet of the following

The Christian Church
Break Down of the Family Unit
Academia
Government
modern feminism
Republicans
Democrates
Globalist
marxist 
communism
prosperity
Me