Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Homelessness in California
Quite the mess they've allowed to get completely and utterly out of control. Now this is a problem in most major cities to various extents, but California takes the cake, followed by the Northwest.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gavin-newsom-...00947.html

From what ive read and heard is their state programs on down are designed to fail, they actually have been funded heavier by the more homeless that they have, and of course the policies allow for % of funding that go to wages for those running the programs. The bigger the problem, the more they make.

Other state policies like legalized drug use, and open door immigration policies, not to mention high tax rates forcing businesses (jobs) to leave the state are just adding to the issue.

Its a sad state of affairs that will only spread with poor policy and management by bloated govt agencies.

Mental health is also a huge part, but we cant have a serious discussion on that until we seriously look at whats causing the elvated numbers, some is better identifying those affected, but part is more issues, why would that be in a time of " better health care" whats making huge percentage increases in mental disorders? Perhaps RFKj is right, we need to look at big pharma and what is being pumped into our children.

Very complex problem, with a multitude of causes, is going to take a preventive approach to correct, not just throwing more money at the problem, look at our reservations and inner cities as an example of money not fixing problems. Tax dollars need to fund solutions, not therapeutics IMO.
[-] The following 2 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

(09-02-2024, 06:57 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: From what ive read and heard is their state programs on down are designed to fail,  they actually have been funded heavier by the more homeless that they have,  and of course the policies allow for % of funding that go to wages for those running the programs.  The bigger the problem,  the more they make. 

Other state policies like legalized drug use,  and open door immigration policies,  not to mention high tax rates forcing businesses (jobs) to leave the state are just adding to the issue.

Its a sad state of affairs that will only spread with poor policy and management by bloated govt agencies.

Mental health is also a huge part,  but we cant have a serious discussion on that until we seriously look at whats causing the elvated numbers,  some is better identifying those affected,  but part is more issues,  why would that be in a time of " better health care"  whats making huge percentage increases in mental disorders?  Perhaps RFKj is right,  we need to look at big pharma and what is being pumped into our children. 

Very complex problem,  with a multitude of causes,  is going to take a preventive approach to correct,  not just throwing more money at the problem,  look at our reservations and inner cities as an example of money not fixing problems.  Tax dollars need to fund solutions, not therapeutics IMO.

I think I read Portland finally stopped giving drug addicts drugs in downtown. I don't think legalized marijuana use is the cause of any of this, but mental health and hardcore heroin/opiod/fentanyl addiction is. Throwing money at the problem rarely if ever works. Big Pharma is a problem (see opiod crisis), but with children all you have to look at is the parents not wanting to parent and just using a magic pill to try and make it all better. I see that every day. But I digress because none of that (children/pharma) is the cause of homelessness and what to do. 

Downtown Los Angeles is a shit show.

Probably should be on the other board, I think...

...but yeah, it's a full-on Faustian tragedy all down the coast.

Up here by Seattle, tent cities pop up, crime and vermin show massive upticks (tent cities attract rats and the like), speaking against them means that one is a horrible hater, but then crime spirals out of control and even the generations of leftist indoctrination can't keep people from hating having their cars and homes broken into on a constant basis.

There's a lot involved, including a huge number of the homeless that won't accept services, that won't accept their "tiny home" or whatever, because they're enjoying a combination of handouts and consequence-free crime that's been the norm for years. All the videos of criminals just filling carts and walking out of stores? Barely being addressed.

The various mayors and city councils are suddenly very concerned (Seattle's entire city council flipped over years of horrible crime and police desertion), but every officer they hire, every action they take, will get them unfavorable ACLU attention and camera time with uncomfortable questions. It's truly a bizarre s**tshow, proof that the dnc shouldn't "lead" more than a shift at Circle-K, and among the reasons I'm likely returning to the Midwest.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

I live in California and Newsome only wants to do something about it now because it hurts Democrat votes in the upcoming election. It's the same old song and dance. Mental institutions need to be re-opened in the state. Reagan closed them in the 70's and it's time to re-open them. There needs to be real hand in hand cooperation with the legal system to force these folks into getting the help they need. Sorry, it's a free country, but that doesn't give you the right to be shitting on public sidewalks, eating cockroaches out of your hair next to an elementary school, or building a tent structure for you and your dogs to sleep in and do drugs next to the grocery store. It's like zombie world out there and the fact that it's been allowed to get to this point it's a total joke. But the elite politicians and lawmakers don't have to concern themselves with it because it doesn't impact theor daily lives like it does the average working class Joe.
[-] The following 4 users Like supafreak84's post:

(09-02-2024, 07:50 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I think I read Portland finally stopped giving drug addicts drugs in downtown. I don't think legalized marijuana use is the cause of any of this, but mental health and hardcore heroin/opiod/fentanyl addiction is. Throwing money at the problem rarely if ever works. Big Pharma is a problem (see opiod crisis), but with children all you have to look at is the parents not wanting to parent and just using a magic pill to try and make it all better. I see that every day. But I digress because none of that (children/pharma) is the cause of homelessness and what to do. 

Downtown Los Angeles is a shit show.

I dont think pot is a problem for a lot of people, but i also have seen a lot of people that it does affect negatively and they lose ambition and ultimately their jobs which leads to other issues like harder drugs and homelessness. Pot is no worse than booze, but just like booze it can become much more than a way to wind down, or have fun with friends. I think early on those states that legalized pot became a draw for those that not only were going for the pot vacations, but also those that were looking for a more accepting atmosphere and fell victim to their addictions.

I never thought legalizing pot was a smart move, decriminalizng yes, let people grow their own if they want, but allowong it to be legally sold, and with what agricultural advances have done to magnify its high, not to mention it getting laced with all sorts of shit, legalized pot has to be part the conversation as the homeless issue seems to be worse in areas of more liberal drug policies and use, but as i said previously, hardly the only cause.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(09-02-2024, 11:19 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: I live in California and Newsome only wants to do something about it now because it hurts Democrat votes in the upcoming election. It's the same old song and dance. Mental institutions need to be re-opened in the state. Reagan closed them in the 70's and it's time to re-open them. There needs to be real hand in hand cooperation with the legal system to force these folks into getting the help they need. Sorry, it's a free country, but that doesn't give you the right to be shitting on public sidewalks, eating cockroaches out of your hair next to an elementary school, or building a tent structure for you and your dogs to sleep in and do drugs next to the grocery store. It's like zombie world out there and the fact that it's been allowed to get to this point it's a total joke. But the elite politicians and lawmakers don't have to concern themselves with it because it doesn't impact theor daily lives like it does the average working class Joe.

Maybe just keep inviting chinese leaders to visit the major problem areas and Newsome will make the problem magically go away like he did in san fran a few months ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

I lived in SoCal for 27 years and worked in downtown LA. The downtown LA situation was already really bad when I left in 2006. Even then you could see what was happening and that it just going to get worse.

I think they should just put ‘em on a bus to Florida, they’ll know how to handle them!!! Angel

(09-02-2024, 11:29 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: Maybe just keep inviting chinese leaders to visit the major problem areas and Newsome will make the problem magically go away like he did in san fran a few months ago.

Lol boy if that's not the truth. How people can be so blind or just not care about the blatant lies and political agendas blows my mind. Just takes me back to you should have to have two things to be able to cast a vote; a valid ID and a passing IQ test

Also, I've worked directly with the homeless population and social services for the last four years. Here are the facts; 90% don't want the help and have no intention on taking up anything involving rules or structure. They want to do what they want to do, including drugs, prostitution, and most have no interest in trying to improve their situations and get themselves off the street. The only way to get any traction is you have to hang law violations over their heads and get the courts involved, who will sometimes mandate them into the mental health system or jail. It's a completely broken system that we keep pumping money into with minimal to zero results. That's why I say re-opening mental institutions is a vital first step in tackling this problem
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post: