Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Training camp has arrived
(07-26-2024, 07:31 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Don't mean to be negative, but that long 'TD pass' to Nailor by JJM was not a great throw. Nailor had to pull it away from the defender as it was underthrown. I was excited as well when I read this yesterday and then I saw the actual video of it and was like meh.

Thought the same thing when I saw it. It was a definitely a bit underthrown. Still, both a perfect throw and an under throw are pretty much equally meaningless at this point. What caught my eye was the 8 of 9 and the quick decision making.

(07-26-2024, 07:51 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Thought the same thing when I saw it. It was a definitely a bit underthrown. Still, both a perfect throw and an under throw are pretty much equally meaningless at this point. What caught my eye was the 8 of 9 and the quick decision making.

Yep, obviously good to hear. And he'll continue to get incrementally better, more comfortable and then you'll see that athleticism and arm even more.

(07-26-2024, 07:26 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I don't think this means anything in terms of the depth chart. I think it means JJ McCarthy is the future of the franchise and they're going to get him as much meaningful work as possible. Mullens will still very likely be the QB1 week one. But I love reading the following....

Mullens will be the week 1 starter?

Vikings rookie Dallas Turner gets to 'slow it down' in the NFL as he learns a new defense

Linebacker Dallas Turner is used to toiling under Nick Saban in the Alabama heat. Under Brian Flores, the rookie is working on his technique to prepare for an eclectic role.

Compared to his college practices toiling under Nick Saban in the Alabama heat, Vikings first-round pick Dallas Turner's introduction to the NFL hasn't seemed as grueling. "At Alabama, it was this every day," Turner said, rhythmically clapping his hands for emphasis. "Here, you get to learn things, kind of get your technique down, slow it down and when it's time to speed up, it's time to speed up."

His indoctrination to the NFL has come with a different set of challenges. The Vikings have moved Turner to different spots in Brian Flores' defense, preparing him for the eclectic role he is likely to have compared to his time as a college defensive end. The spring started with off-ball work, Turner said, since he had done so much on-ball work in college.

Because Andrew Van Ginkel was injured during organized team activities in the spring, Turner said he has "able to see everything from all different angles and aspects. Really, it's just learning the whole defense, and that's what I've been doing going into training camp. The defense will be more understandable for me."

Practicing against left tackle Christian Darrisaw, Turner said, has been perhaps his other welcome-to-the-NFL moment.

"I know if I go against a guy like that in practice every day, the game's going to be easy," Turner said. "He deserves every coin of that [contract extension], for sure. He shows it every single day in practice."

Van Ginkel making progress

Van Ginkel, who missed most of the team's offseason program rehabbing a Lisfranc injury, was on the field for 7-on-7 work during the second day of training camp Thursday. Coach Kevin O'Connell sounded optimistic about Van Ginkel's timetable on Wednesday, and though the linebacker wasn't doing any full-team work Thursday, his return to the defense doesn't seem far away.

"[He'll bring] toughness, work ethic, leadership," said Flores, who was Van Ginkel's head coach with the Dolphins from 2019 to '21. "He's a quiet leader, but he's fun to be around. He loves playing football. That's the one thing about this group that I really love: when they play together, you can tell they enjoy playing together. And Van Ginkel's done a nice job of just bringing himself in. He's got pass rush ability, he makes plays in the run game, he's smart, he's played several different positions over the course of his career. He just loves to play."

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-trai...600386194/

It hasn’t taken veteran quarterback Sam Darnold very long to make a good impression at training camp.

On Wednesday afternoon, Darnold unleashed a beautiful deep ball toward the heavens, dropping it into the outstretched arms of receiver Justin Jefferson with the perfect amount of touch. On Thursday afternoon, Darnold followed it up with another impressive throw, hitting receiver Jordan Addison in stride nearly 50 yards away along the sidelines.

The arm talent is undeniable.

“He was throwing bombs,” Jefferson said with a smile when asked about Darnold. “He has been looking good.”

The next step for Darnold is fully grasping the offense he’ll be running under head coach Kevin O’Connell. He arrived in the spring and learned the ropes of the new scheme at organized team activities and mandatory minicamp. He returned in the summer looking ready to showcase his knowledge at training camp.

“I’m really starting to feel comfortable,” Darnold said. “It’s really fun to be able to push the limits of what we can do.”

There’s a mental checklist that Darnold goes through each time he gets a play call from O’Connell.

It starts with making sure he has the verbiage down as he enters the huddle. It continues with getting everybody on the same page as they approach the line of scrimmage. It ends with scanning the defense before the snap and adjusting in real time.

The fact that Darnold is going up against a group led by defensive coordinator Brian Flores on a daily basis has been extremely helpful in his development.

“Sometimes our defense is running 100 different coverages and different pressures off of them,” Darnold said. “It’s really good work for us to come out here and test the width of how much we know the playbook.”

All of it should slowly become second nature for Darnold over the next month or so. At least that’s the hope. He’s currently in position to be the starter for the Sept. 8 opener against the New York Giants, even though the Vikings selected rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy with the No. 10 pick in the draft.

Asked about Darnold this week, O’Connell emphasized how excited he is to see him flourish with a support system around him. That’s not something Darnold had in time with the New York Jets or the Carolina Panthers, and while he had it with the San Francisco 49ers, he spent most of his time as the backup.

“He doesn’t need to be reminded about some of those experiences for him to apply them to how he operates every single day within our building,” O’Connell said. “He has always had the skill set. He has shown that that skill set matches with playing the quarterback position at the NFL level consistently. That’s going to be the name of the game: How comfortable can he get within our offense?”

As for the pressure that comes with what might end up being Darnold’s final chance to prove himself, he’s not thinking about that as he tries to rewrite the narrative. He’s more concerned with doing all the little things it takes to succeed at the highest level.

“The biggest thing for me as a quarterback is playing the game like a point guard,” Darnold said. “Just being able to dish the ball to the guys and let them go run after the catch and not try to do too much out there.”

Unless of course there’s chance for Darnold to let it rip downfield. He has already shown he’s more than capable of doing that.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/07/25/sa...downfield/
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

The Vikings brought Dalton Risner into training camp for a visit last year, but didn't sign him until he lowered his asking price in September. It took until the end of May for Risner to return to the Vikings on a one-year, $2.41 million deal in 2024, and by that point, the Vikings had brought Blake Brandel back on a three-year deal that suggested he'd get the first chance to start at left guard.

Brandel has started the offseason at left guard, and on the right side, Ed Ingram is now in his third season as the starter. But Risner has started camp working out on the right side, rather than the left; it might not mean open competition for Ingram as of yet, but it does suggest the Vikings are exploring their options at the spot. Let's take a little closer look at the guard situation:

Last season

The Vikings started the year with Ezra Cleveland at left guard and Ingram on the right, just as they'd ended 2022. They signed Risner after their Week 2 loss in Philadelphia, but he didn't become a starter until after Cleveland was injured in the Vikings' Week 6 win over the Bears. When the Vikings traded Cleveland to Jacksonville at the trade deadline, it ensured Risner would keep the job on the left side, where he started 11 games for the season. Ingram started 15; though he showed improvement as a pass blocker, he still allowed five sacks and 42 pressures, according to Pro Football Focus.

Offseason moves

In: Doug Nester (undrafted free agent)

Out: Chris Reed (signed with Texans)

The contenders

Brandel has started only five games in his NFL career, but his stock seemed to be rising with the Vikings last season as he worked out in several different spots. The team gave him a three-year, $9.5 million deal; only his base salary and his $2 million signing bonus are guaranteed in the contract, but Brandel would get another $1.65 million guaranteed next March. In any case, the deal signified the Vikings saw a larger role for him, and the fact they've worked Risner out on the right side could indicate their confidence in Brandel on the left.

One big question

Can Ingram show he's the long-term answer? It's a big season for the 59th overall pick in the 2022 draft, who is heading into his third year and will be a free agent after 2025. If Ingram can play well this year, and especially show he's improved in pass protection, he might be a candidate for a long-term deal as the Vikings continue trying to fortify the offensive line that will eventually protect J.J. McCarthy. If Ingram's inconsistencies continue, his future in Minnesota could be in doubt; the Vikings would save $1.522 million in cap space next spring if they released him.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-trai...600386479/

How light was Friday's practice, only the third day of camp? So light that 35-year-old safety Harrison Smith was given a "vet day" to rest and yet he still ended up stepping into the 11-on-11 period while wearing shades and no helmet. The other players wore helmets for what was slightly a notch above a walk-through.

The workout, the last one before fans are allowed to watch, ended 10 minutes early.

Phillips ran the practice with coach Kevin O'Connell among the Vikings contingent that traveled to Maryland for the funeral of Vikings rookie Khyree Jackson, who was killed in a car accident along with high school teammates Isaiah Hazel and Anthony Lytton Jr. on July 6.

Also attending the funeral were General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, defensive coordinator Brian Flores, special teams coordinator Matt Daniels, defensive backs coach Daronte Jones and players Dallas Turner, Jeshaun Jones and Taki Taimani, who were college teammates of Jackson or Hazel.

Griffin, Cine don't practice

Cornerback Shaq Griffin, who went down in Thursday's practice with an injury that didn't appear to be serious, did not practice Friday. Lewis Cine also did not practice for undisclosed reasons.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-trai...600386592/

Happy to hear Griffin's injury doesn't appear serious. I don't think it's possible for one team to have more shit luck at one position than the Vikings just had at corner. 

Excited to watch the guard competition. I think the 3-way competition might be just a myth. I think the Vikings want Brandel at LG. So can Risner unseat Ingram? I think that's going to be a really good competition. No doubt Risner is the better pass blocker, but teams like to run the ball occasionally too. Not only that, but Ingram has improved incrementally over the past two seasons, while Risner has never played on the right before. This could be a pretty good fight all the way up to week one--hopefully resulting in better guard play on both sides.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Vikings chess master Brian Flores gets new pieces to move around the field

Dallas Turner has been a member of the Vikings less than 100 days, but the rookie from Alabama has reached a conclusion about his employer, and more specifically, his boss.

"I can tell already that BFlo is a mastermind," he said of defensive coordinator Brian Flores. "He has his very creative ways of thinking and scheming up defenses. I'm all here for it."

Turner should be enthused. As an edge rusher with a versatile set of athletic traits, he stands to benefit from the creativity and unconventional coaching strategy of Flores.

He paints outside the lines when constructing his defense. He believes in position flexibility instead of pigeonholing players with one specific responsibility.

"He's not scared or shy to try new things and put guys in different spots," veteran safety Harrison Smith said.

Flores' debut as Vikings DC in 2023 produced a stark turnaround from Ed Donatell's one nightmarish season in charge of the defense.

The Vikings improved their season rankings leaguewide in 11 statistical categories, including, most importantly, points allowed. They jumped 15 or more spots in five categories.
Also notably, they went from a defense that blitzed infrequently under Donatell (18.9% of dropbacks) to leading the NFL in blitz rate under Flores at 51.5%.

Injuries in the final month last season exposed the defense's depth and talent limitations in certain areas, illuminating the need to add more playmakers to fit Flores' scheme.

The organization said goodbye to longtime pass rusher Danielle Hunter, but Flores received in return more chess pieces to maneuver with the additions of Turner, Andrew Van Ginkel and Jonathan Greenard.

All three players fit the mold of multi-purpose linebackers who give Flores flexibility to employ unique schematic alignments and blitz packages.

"Early on in my career," Flores said, "I was told that if you can only do one thing, you better be able to do it very extremely well in this league. Most guys can do one, two, three, four things."

Or 12 in Josh Metellus' case. That's how many different position spots Pro Football Focus charted Metellus playing at least one snap last season. Technically, he's a safety, but only in name.

Basketball has evolved into a position-less game that maximizes and accepts a player's versatile skillset regardless of body type. Football's adherence to specific positions is more stringent for obvious reasons, but Flores builds schemes based on the freedom he gives players to try different roles and responsibilities.

"I try to stay abreast of what's new and what the trends are through the league," Flores said. "In doing that, you kind of see different schematics and say, 'That's cool.' Now is the time to try it. It's training camp, preseason. If there is something that you draw up over and over, put some rules to it, and if it looks like it may work, why not give it a shot?"

Smith loves that mindset. The 13-year veteran keeps coming back to play, in part, because he trusts his defensive coordinator's instincts, intelligence and willingness to think creatively.

"The league is constantly changing and evolving," Smith said. "Normally, it's the people that innovate and push for change that are ahead of the curve and have the most success. Sometimes you've got to walk out on that limb."

Year 2 on Flores' limb should bring more comfort and familiarity, though tragic and unfortunate circumstances involving the cornerback position have created a somber start to training camp.

The Vikings have the right man at the helm of the defense to guide them emotionally and to design a plan that will maximize their personnel.

The Vikings surrendered considerable draft capital to trade up and select Turner at No. 17 overall because they view him as an exceptional talent. Van Ginkel thrived in a multi-faceted role under Flores during their time together in Miami. Greenard is 27 years old and coming off his most productive season with Houston.

There is little doubt that Flores had significant input in the organizational blueprint to add that trio of linebackers/pass rushers.

"I'm not afraid to test things out," Flores said. "When it works, it's cool. It's fun. It's exciting. It's different."

You could almost see the gears in his mind spinning in overdrive as he talked.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-defe...600386780/
[-] The following 3 users Like purplefaithful's post:

Some interesting updates from today's practice....

• Cine is still not practicing. Has all the earmarks of a potential trade. 
• Vikes brought in DB Bobby McCain, but instead of putting him at corner, he's getting reps at Safety. 
• Jay Ward is practicing at CB today. May have decided it wiser to put Ward at corner than moving Bynum. 
• Darnold with 40 yard bomb to keep 2-minute drive alive but likely would've been sacked by Gabe Murphy who "exploded thru the line." 
• According to many, McCarthy once again looked very sharp in practice. Fingers crossed.

The Vikings continued to add to their defensive backfield on Monday by bringing one of Brian Flores' former players to Minnesota. To make room on their roster, they let go of their second kicker.

The team signed defensive back Bobby McCain, who started 23 games at safety for the Dolphins between 2019-20 while Flores was the head coach there. The 30-year-old McCain has been both a cornerback and safety in his career, but has played safety since Flores put him there in his first season with the Dolphins. Last season, he played 10 games with the Giants, though he was mostly used on special teams.

McCain took the roster spot of kicker John Parker Romo, who tweeted a farewell to Minnesota on Monday morning. He'd been in a battle with rookie Will Reichard for the kicking job, though the sixth-round pick figured to have the inside track on the job especially after an impressive spring.

The Vikings, at the moment, would seem to need more help at corner than safety; they lost Mekhi Blackmon for the season last week to a torn ACL, and coach Kevin O'Connell said Saturday that Shaq Griffin is working through a soft tissue in his left leg. The Vikings added Jacobi Francis last week, but O'Connell said Saturday they could pursue more help at corner. McCain's experience at both positions, though, could give them options.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-cut-...600387238/