Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
You have to be happy
(04-25-2024, 10:53 PM)savannahskol Wrote: uh, nvmd. 

we outta ammo, lol. 

Remaining '24 picks
4th, 108
6th, 177
6th, 203
7th, 230
7th, 232

Mebbe we'll trade next years first for 2 seconds this year, lol.

They'll hold onto that one  Tongue

Everyone has their preferred method for the draft. We were used to Spielman and his hoarding. I hated it. I was always of the opinion that it made more sense to identify the guys you are 90% sure will have great careers and go get them. It isn’t the picks that matter, it’s getting the right players. Often you might get one or two long term starters per draft. Even when Spielman had 10 plus picks that’s usually how it turned out.

That’s why I’ve always been of the opinion you make them count. It’s the same reason there’s no such thing as a “reach” in my world. That’s draft bs - Mel Kiper nonsense. It means nothing. All that matters is you get that guy and I absolutely love the change I’ve seen in Kwesi over his mentality his first year. There are only so many elite guys in each draft. Get them and fill the rest with free agency. Take your roll of the dice in the un-drafted pickups.
[-] The following 4 users Like Havoc's post:

JJM is the highest drafted QB in Vikings History...

(04-25-2024, 11:05 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: JJM is the highest drafted QB in Vikings History...

This is just the fourth time in the Super Bowl era the Vikings have taken at least two players in the top 20 of an NFL draft. 

(04-25-2024, 10:59 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/17836...gr%5Etweet

He has no eyelashes & lipstick?!

Please don't tell me he paints his nails.

"I know J.J. McCarthy really wanted to be a Minnesota Viking," head coach Kevin O'Connell said. "Hopefully, as excited as our fans are, they can know that J.J. McCarthy really wanted to be a Minnesota Viking, and he cannot wait to get here and get to work."

"Obviously, there was a lot of things outside of our control. So we wanted to make sure that we were ready for every scenario," Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said. "We're through the moon with what happened. We were able to add a cornerstone piece of the franchise at a quarterback who's got a lot of potential, a lot of ability, who's won at a high level in a lot of different places. An edge rusher, who impacts the game, who's really just scratching the surface, we think, of his ability set: one of the top defensive players on our board. I can't believe we got them both in the same draft."

Adofo-Mensah said he talked to McCarthy via Zoom on the day that the Michigan team got their championship rings. "He wears all his rings [from high school and college] one day a year and he only had thumbs free," Adofo-Mensah said of McCarthy.

"But as we were talking, he said, 'Is there a reason you wouldn't draft me?' And I said, 'Honestly, from a talent standpoint, no. You're just a bit of an unknown because you played in an offense that's pretty run-heavy and different things like that. So there's some guesswork, but from what we've seen, we think you can do anything.'"

https://www.startribune.com/nfl-draft-mi...600361721/
[-] The following 3 users Like purplefaithful's post:

(04-25-2024, 11:08 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: "I know J.J. McCarthy really wanted to be a Minnesota Viking," head coach Kevin O'Connell said. "Hopefully, as excited as our fans are, they can know that J.J. McCarthy really wanted to be a Minnesota Viking, and he cannot wait to get here and get to work."

"Obviously, there was a lot of things outside of our control. So we wanted to make sure that we were ready for every scenario," Vikings General Manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said. "We're through the moon with what happened. We were able to add a cornerstone piece of the franchise at a quarterback who's got a lot of potential, a lot of ability, who's won at a high level in a lot of different places. An edge rusher, who impacts the game, who's really just scratching the surface, we think, of his ability set: one of the top defensive players on our board. I can't believe we got them both in the same draft."

Adofo-Mensah said he talked to McCarthy via Zoom on the day that the Michigan team got their championship rings. "He wears all his rings [from high school and college] one day a year and he only had thumbs free," Adofo-Mensah said of McCarthy.

"But as we were talking, he said, 'Is there a reason you wouldn't draft me?' And I said, 'Honestly, from a talent standpoint, no. You're just a bit of an unknown because you played in an offense that's pretty run-heavy and different things like that. So there's some guesswork, but from what we've seen, we think you can do anything.'"

https://www.startribune.com/nfl-draft-mi...600361721/

Interesting statement .... " Is there a reason you wouldn't draft me?'  

Not quite sure how to interpret this. 

Is he asking "What facet of my game is an area of need?" or - Is it gamesmanship?  Ego? Something else?
Not that any of those things are necessarily bad, I'm just curious as to the "intent" of the comment

I thought Kwesi's response was a bit guarded also. (Which is probably good)

I've coached linemen, so we're direct and vulgar. This more cryptic stuff is a mystery 

any thoughts?

(04-25-2024, 11:54 PM)Vanguard83 Wrote: Interesting statement .... " Is there a reason you wouldn't draft me?'  

Not quite sure how to interpret this. 

Is he asking "What facet of my game is an area of need?" or - Is it gamesmanship?  Ego? Something else?
Not that any of those things are necessarily bad, I'm just curious as to the "intent" of the comment

I thought Kwesi's response was a bit guarded also. (Which is probably good)

I've coached linemen, so we're direct and vulgar. This more cryptic stuff is a mystery 

any thoughts?

He was well coached, the statement is a classic "closing" sales statement, you are trying to see if there are any objections before they make a decision so that you have the opportunity to refute any of those concerns instead of letting them walk away with doubts.  Good job by JJ.
[-] The following 2 users Like JR44's post:

My bad. I thought the statement was this evening AFTER he was picked. (Reading comprehension 101)

For those who remember Rosanne Rosanna Danna .........NEVERMIND.

(04-26-2024, 12:07 AM)JR44 Wrote: He was well coached, the statement is a classic "closing" sales statement, you are trying to see if there are any objections before they make a decision so that you have the opportunity to refute any of those concerns instead of letting them walk away with doubts.  Good job by JJ.

That's exactly what that is. An interviewee trying to lock down the job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post: