Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATE: NFL might 'drop the hammer' on the Falcons for tampering
(04-22-2024, 04:13 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Yeah, I think best case scenario is they upgrade one of our 4ths for one of their 3rds. But I'm not even expecting that. It's hard to see how the Vikings were damaged, so I still think the most likely outcome is day three pick taken from the Falcons and the Vikings get nothing.

I cannot understand how it is difficult to see how the Vikings were damaged. They lost a franchise QB they were expected to resign! I think it was Guru who said they offered him more than the Falcons - maybe he can chime in on the specifics of that. I also read they offered him a multi year contract. I guess we might find out from the investigation if that’s true or not. 

There are fewer franchise QB’s in the NFL than there are teams. It can take many many years and numerous first round picks to find one. The Vikings now have Sam Darnold, not the guy who was top 5 in most categories prior to his injury. There are no guarantees they can replace him in the next decade let alone right now - that’s damage my friend. It’s not only that though, it completely altered how their franchise moves forward from here. They expected to have essentially the same strong offense next year with a bunch of additions they’ve made on defense. To go with the improved roster, they have 2 picks in the first 23 this year to get better by picking up blue chip level defenders! Not anymore = damage. They may have to give up another 1st to get a chance at a possible replacement. What could that pick have done for the team? There’s a distinct possibility, we never find out what all 3 of those picks could have been = damage. It’s all bad man. 

They would have fielded a highly competitive team next year. Instead, it’s the Sam Darnold show and instead of the two blue chip defenders in round one, they are likely using at least both to get a guy they hope can replace Cousins in a year or two. 

All of those things I’ve listed - they are not good things to happen to the team. There is no positive spin to put on it that doesn’t rely on a lot of wishful thinking they land a competent QB. The odds are not in their favor that that happens. 

IF the Falcons tampered much earlier - then they definitely damaged the Vikings and it boggles my mind how many fans are A-Ok with it. It’s almost like fans have gotten so down they’re simply saying, “thank you sir may I please have another”.

Look, I know fans want desperately to put a good face on everything and pretend that KOC didn’t want his top 5 QB back, that this has been the master plan all along, or that the Falcons didn’t just screw the team, but that simply isn’t reality.

Read the subject line...and laughed.  63 years of history shows us one thing: the Vikings will get nothing.

Per @PFT on X- "NFL won't conclude it's investigation into the Falcons about tampering this week and it won't affect 2024 picks."

Well, I'm shocked /s
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

Not sure why an investigation like this takes so long (phone records & interviews)? Cousins publicly said there were conversations during a tampering timeline.

I'll believe when I see it but I don't think the Vikings benefit

Thumbs Down 
(04-23-2024, 12:17 PM)pattersaur Wrote: Per @PFT on X- "NFL won't conclude it's investigation into the Falcons about tampering this week and it won't affect 2024 picks."

Well, I'm shocked /s

Well fan me w/ a brick, the Vikings get … nothing! Angry

Rich McKay..........
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rigby's post:

As Viking fans, I guess we should have expected this result. I am getting prepared to draft a QB out of the top 6 tomorrow!

Yup, Rich McKay at work. Not a surprise though. After all, it’s just the Vikings.

I wouldn't put it past the Falcons to do something "Falcon-esque" and pick a QB at 8, sit a year and learn from Cousins, instead of shoring up their crappy D.

Here's something to think about....What kind of reception will Cousins get at USB, running out on the field next season?