Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Oh boy, here we go: Vikings trying to move up before Thursday
(04-19-2024, 09:43 AM)wiviking Wrote: What I dont get about Penix is the knock on his age at 24. If we drafted a QB that was our starter for the next 10 years, that would be the longest tenured starter we have ever had. Assuming he starts next year at 25, those extra two or three years mean nothing. The way his age is thrown around, you'd think he went to school with Tommy Callahan.

lol, totally agree. I'll take a decade + of excellence.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(04-19-2024, 09:43 AM)wiviking Wrote: What I dont get about Penix is the knock on his age at 24. If we drafted a QB that was our starter for the next 10 years, that would be the longest tenured starter we have ever had. Assuming he starts next year at 25, those extra two or three years mean nothing. The way his age is thrown around, you'd think he went to school with Tommy Callahan.

I agree, but when I was reading "Tommy" in the end of your post, I really thought you were going to say, "Tommy Kramer."

The Cardinals and Chargers are both trying to bend teams (specifically the Vikings) over a barrel in a move up based on desperation. Both teams have let it be known they want "above and beyond" fair trade compensation to move off their picks. The Vikings should absolutely call their bluff and make them make a pick. This from today's GBN;

Bolts looking for big haul for 5th pick … LA Chargers’ GM Joe Hortiz confirmed at his pre-draft presser yesterday that the Chargers are definitely amenable to trading down from the 5th pick in next week’s draft. Hortiz, though, made it pretty clear that he’s not just giving the pick away. Indeed, he said the Chargers weren’t at all interested in what he called a ‘fair trade’ presumably based on the standard draft trade chart. Instead, he indicated that the Chargers will be looking for what haul over market value. Hortiz added that he’s already received multiple calls about the pick, but hasn’t yet received any concrete offers. In fact, there won’t be much concrete coming the Chargers way until they actually get on the clock on the 25th, but they will almost certainly get plenty of interest as it is almost guaranteed that one, or even both of Michigan QB JJ McCarthy, presumably the last of the top 4 QBs still on the board, and/or Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison, the consensus top non-QB prospect this year, will still be on the board at the 5th pick.

At the same time, Giants’ GM Joe Schoen, whose team has the next pick after the Chargers, indicated at his presser yesterday that he has received a ‘surprising’ number of calls to date for the 6th pick. However, he probably shouldn’t be as there appears something of a consensus that there are 3 legit elite prospects this year including USC QB Caleb Williams, Harrison and LSU WR Malik Nabers and one of those is almost assuredly going to be on the board when the Giants get on the clock. Its interesting to note, though, that while Arizona at #4, the Chargers at #5, and Tennessee at #7, the teams that pick just before and after the Giants, have all indicated they were interested in trading down, whereas the NFC New Yorkers have not, although they of course still could but like the Chargers above would probably need to be blown away by an offer to pass on an elite impact player.

If I'm the Vikings, let this thing play out. If Maye or McCarthy are on the board at #7, I'm calling the Titans to trade up. I wouldn't be dealing with any of these teams trying to put the squeeze on us above them
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post:

The Chargers thinking they can bend the Vikings over is hilarious. Kwesi should just tell them "Take our offer or you can play QBX twice a year vs. Denver or Vegas".
[-] The following 1 user Likes RS_Express's post:

Our 11 and 23, to TN for their 7, 42, and 182. I think we could still get an impact defensive player at 42, and have a legit shot at getting QB4 at 7, I only do this deal if QB4 is a guy KOC reaply likes, and is still available. Otherwise I think I wait and see how it plays out at 11, but I am taking a QB at 11, no way I am risking losing out on one of the top 6.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(04-19-2024, 08:07 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: The Cardinals and Chargers are both trying to bend teams (specifically the Vikings) over a barrel in a move up based on desperation. Both teams have let it be known they want "above and beyond" fair trade compensation to move off their picks. The Vikings should absolutely call their bluff and make them make a pick. This from today's GBN;

Bolts looking for big haul for 5th pick … LA Chargers’ GM Joe Hortiz confirmed at his pre-draft presser yesterday that the Chargers are definitely amenable to trading down from the 5th pick in next week’s draft. Hortiz, though, made it pretty clear that he’s not just giving the pick away. Indeed, he said the Chargers weren’t at all interested in what he called a ‘fair trade’ presumably based on the standard draft trade chart. Instead, he indicated that the Chargers will be looking for what haul over market value. Hortiz added that he’s already received multiple calls about the pick, but hasn’t yet received any concrete offers. In fact, there won’t be much concrete coming the Chargers way until they actually get on the clock on the 25th, but they will almost certainly get plenty of interest as it is almost guaranteed that one, or even both of Michigan QB JJ McCarthy, presumably the last of the top 4 QBs still on the board, and/or Ohio State WR Marvin Harrison, the consensus top non-QB prospect this year, will still be on the board at the 5th pick.

At the same time, Giants’ GM Joe Schoen, whose team has the next pick after the Chargers, indicated at his presser yesterday that he has received a ‘surprising’ number of calls to date for the 6th pick. However, he probably shouldn’t be as there appears something of a consensus that there are 3 legit elite prospects this year including USC QB Caleb Williams, Harrison and LSU WR Malik Nabers and one of those is almost assuredly going to be on the board when the Giants get on the clock. Its interesting to note, though, that while Arizona at #4, the Chargers at #5, and Tennessee at #7, the teams that pick just before and after the Giants, have all indicated they were interested in trading down, whereas the NFC New Yorkers have not, although they of course still could but like the Chargers above would probably need to be blown away by an offer to pass on an elite impact player.

If I'm the Vikings, let this thing play out. If Maye or McCarthy are on the board at #7, I'm calling the Titans to trade up. I wouldn't be dealing with any of these teams trying to put the squeeze on us above them

All this bag talk is just price gouging, because they know certain teams are desperate. 

If I'm the Chargers and someone is going to give me pick 11 and 23 for pick 5, Im taking that deal 10 times out of 10. If you think about it with actual players, it starts to come into focus. If you're the Chargers and someone says you can either have Joe Alt by himself, or you can have Troy Fautanu AND Brian Thomas Jr. which do you take? To me it's obvious. 

But teams are going to keep beating the "bag" drum until they're on the clock.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

The fact that teams are trying to bend us over should be no shock. Every GM in the NFL knows we need a QB....we have Darnold on a 1 year contract and Jaren Hall. The Vikings aren't exactly in a position of power here. They did this to themselves. The Vikings will have to overpay for the guy they want or settle for leftover trash.

(04-20-2024, 02:35 PM)CFIAvike Wrote: The fact that teams are trying to bend us over should be no shock.  Every GM in the NFL knows we need a QB....we have Darnold on a 1 year contract and Jaren Hall.  The Vikings aren't exactly in a position of power here. They did this to themselves.  The Vikings will have to overpay for the guy they want or settle for leftover trash.

I agree this should have been settled last year when we had KC and Anthony Richardson would be a Viking now. 

It is what it is, cant look back. 

Do we really consider it an overpay if they land their franchise QB for the next 10 years?

(04-20-2024, 02:35 PM)CFIAvike Wrote: The fact that teams are trying to bend us over should be no shock.  Every GM in the NFL knows we need a QB....we have Darnold on a 1 year contract and Jaren Hall.  The Vikings aren't exactly in a position of power here. They did this to themselves.  The Vikings will have to overpay for the guy they want or settle for leftover trash.

We saw this coming. To play the NFL game you have to overpay. In the Vikings case, they either had to overpay Cousins or end up overpaying in the draft. I'd rather have overpaid Cousins. Draft capital is more valuable than cap space.

I agree they've done this to themselves by way of the ridiculous "competitive rebuild" experiment, but you don't compound the absolute gamble it is in drafting a quarterback by also mortgaging away what could be a very high pick next year and whatever other future draft capital you'd have to give up in a moveup. 

And again, what has this front office done that would lead you to believe they "get it right" on their first swing when we know how hard it is and even guys like Shannahan have missed? Draft results have been substandard at best, so count me as scared shitless if these guys give up multiple draft picks to move up and take a swing on a quarterback.