Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ Mac ... I don't get it
(04-17-2024, 10:36 AM)Vikergirl Wrote: He is a system guy but if he is in the right system, he will be successful

well if that system is one that can run the ball at will, and having a defense that doesnt surrender many points... potential landings spots for success will be pretty limited.

the closer we get to draft day,  the more I tend to like Nix,  just because he has had to be the man, and has proven he can play at a high level when he needs to.  Oregon was only held under 35 points 3 times last year,  never less than 30.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(04-17-2024, 02:46 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: well if that system is one that can run the ball at will, and having a defense that doesnt surrender many points... potential landings spots for success will be pretty limited.
the closer we get to draft day,  the more I tend to like Nix,  just because he has had to be the man, and has proven he can play at a high level when he needs to.  Oregon was only held under 35 points 3 times last year,  never less than 30.

https://x.com/PFF_College/status/1780742285950378237

(04-17-2024, 07:17 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: https://x.com/PFF_College/status/1780742285950378237

......yet there's a reason Nix doesn't seem to be considered a top 5 QB. Or so its thought RIGHT NOW. NFL GMs might think differently.

(04-18-2024, 06:54 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: NFL GMs know the short passing game Nix was in. Things like passer rating, completion percentage are going to be inflated due to that. Doesn't mean he can't be a great NFL QB though. Its like all this talk about JJ being a winner. He just wins. No, Michigan just won. He really didn't have a helluva a lot to do with it.

Yep, its going to be really interesting. JJM is such an unproven quantity: he's made some really good plays.....but not many of them. But he didn't have to often.  The Michigan offense just wasn't build around the passing game. I wonder if it was any kind of revelation to NFL GMs that Nix's arm turned out to be stronger than advertised? And when you watch Penix, his big arm and that downfield accuracy....not sure how you can't be impressed. Lots of back and forth on these guys.

Only a week away now.

There have been rumors that JJ ran a 4.48 before the '23 season. Take that with a grain of salt because unofficial times are pretty meaningless. But he shows some pretty remarkable speed here....

https://twitter.com/mightykaos41/status/...0708372846

(04-17-2024, 02:46 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: well if that system is one that can run the ball at will, and having a defense that doesnt surrender many points... potential landings spots for success will be pretty limited.

If it comes down to 5 vs 6 I (couch guy) vastly prefer Nix to Penix. Penix' fast 40 time didn't raise him in my mind, it did the opposite. Dude has wheels as a weapon and almost never used it. In the championship game he was getting mobbed in the backfield but didn't pull the ball down and run... why? In fact he rarely took off all last year. What that means to each NFL team will be different but for me it seems silly to have that weapon in your arsenal and not use it. Suspect, to say the least. Huskies also have two first round WRs he was throwing to. I don't dispute his talent and I'll get on board if the Vikes draft him but he is firmly 6th on my wish list.

(04-18-2024, 09:27 AM)pattersaur Wrote: If it comes down to 5 vs 6 I (couch guy) vastly prefer Nix to Penix. Penix' fast 40 time didn't raise him in my mind, it did the opposite. Dude has wheels as a weapon and almost never used it. In the championship game he was getting mobbed in the backfield but didn't pull the ball down and run... why? In fact he rarely took off all last year. What that means to each NFL team will be different but for me it seems silly to have that weapon in your arsenal and not use it. Suspect, to say the least. Huskies also have two first round WRs he was throwing to. I don't dispute his talent and I'll get on board if the Vikes draft him but he is firmly 6th on my wish list.

I see it the opposite way. The fact that he can run but didn't suggests that he's disciplined himself to remain in the pocket. I think the biggest hurdle to overcome for athletic college QBs is pocket discipline--to not run at the first sign of trouble, real or imagined. I think that discipline helps him in the NFL game.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(04-18-2024, 09:37 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I see it the opposite way. The fact that he can run but didn't suggests that he's disciplined himself to remain in the pocket. I think the biggest hurdle to overcome for athletic college QBs is pocket discipline--to not run at the first sign of trouble, real or imagined. I think that discipline helps him in the NFL game.

Yes, that is the way I see it as well.  It's a positive, let your playmakers make the plays.

I'm with you here.  KOC was just quoted as saying he wants....Accuracy - Bo Nix just broke the NCAA completion percentage on 470 attempts and a 9.6 YPA,  Toughness - Bo Nix at Oregon had 21 rushing TD's and a 5.3 YPR.  He has a solid build compared to some of the other Quarterbacks like JJ.  6'3,  215lbs.  Same height as JJ and about 18 more pounds.  I know next to nothing about QB's I am very stats driven which I know is only a part of the story.  I really don't know why Nix is not getting more love??

Exactly. JJM hasn't been asked to do much of anything. I see him as pretty limited. Nix has played in a bit of a gimmick offense and competition.   

JJM is strictly a projection pick. There’s nothing in his actual play that screams elite QB. What does standout for him is top tier arm talent and great athleticism. He’s shown himself to be cool under pressure and able to make all the throws necessary.

When it comes to reviewing a QB’s performance, winning percentage or a title mean absolutely nothing to me. JJM played on a stacked team that didn’t ask much of him. That’s not his fault, but it’s certainly not a positive for him personally. If you watch the games, they win a lot where he had very little to do with it.

As for natural QB accuracy here are Nix’s stats downfield on the year:

Per PFF Nix was 62 of 91 on passes of 10-19 yards for 1,169 yards, 16 touchdowns and one interception for a passing grade of 94.7. His passing grade on attempts 20+ yards downfield was 95.5 (26 of 51 for 999 yards, 13 TD, 2 INT). 

His passing grade on deep throws (20+ yards) was tied with Caleb Williams. He was No. 1 in college football on intermediate throws (10-19 yards) with a 94.7 grade. For context, Drake Maye's grade on intermediate throws was 83.8 and Williams' grade was 78.0.

Nix’s receivers dropped a lot of balls. When you take out drops and throwaways, his accuracy was something like 85%. He had guys in bombs drop them, slow up, and trip and fall down or those stats would have been even better.

I think Nix is rated much higher by some NFL teams. I read one of the most ridiculous claims the other day where a GM reportedly told a reporter he thought Nix was like a 5th round pick. That tells me at least one team is in love with him haha!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Havoc's post: