Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ Mac ... I don't get it
National Champ game 10-18 for 140

Against OSU 16-20 for 148

Against Maryland 12-23 for 141

Penn St 7-8 for 60 (no passes 2nd half)

He had some good games last year I just don't see him as some prolific passer. How is he going to be any different then

Ponder, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trabisky and a like. 

Good kid, athletic, belongs in the league. Just don't see him lighting it up in the NFL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Still Hurtn's post:

He's probably going to be polarizing to some teams for sure. This notion that he's the #2 QB behind Caleb Williams is silly IMO. But I really like his upside and would love to see KOC and McCown get ahold of him. Not sure what will happen or where he ends up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I have zero preference on which QB they take, I'd just like them to take a swing for once. That said, and this is in no way directed at the OP, merely a general observation of this board.

But since Cousins came aboard we heard insesently that the only stat that matters is a QBs W-L record. Specifically prime time and against winning teams. KC leaves and people start advocating for a massive trade for Herbert. Who, puts up stats but hasn't shown he checks those ever elusive QB W-L stats.

JJM is a winner who wins on the biggest stages in one of the top 2 conferences in NCAAF. Was coached by the guy many Vikes fans wanted as HC. Obviously it's "lying season" but reports since the national championship game are KOC is a fan. Cousins sure as heck looked much improved under KOC. And until he shows me otherwise I'll trust KOC's ability to judge QB talent.

As for his stats in the selected games. That's the way the team was built. Play defense, run the ball, control the clock. They were tied for first with 40 rushing TDs. Their average scoring margin was second best at 25.5 points. Not exactly a reason to go out and throw the ball around when you are up big early and often.

As I recall, the phrase "garbage stats" used to be thrown around here often. If he had more stats in games where they were up 20 points early would that make people more comfortable? Or would they be garbage stats?
[-] The following 2 users Like bigbone62's post:

He has question marks like the rest of em...

I have no idea if he's a game manager or game changer. Harbaugh didnt use him in a way that makes that easy to answer. I suspect most Viking fans would be happy to have him.

If (big if) the opportunity would present itself, I would rather the Vikings select Maye or Daniels. But for what additional comp??? I dont know and glad its not my butt on the line for any of this qb decision making.

He's 100% a projection pick. The other side of the coin is that if you look at the highest producing QBs in college history a good 3/4 of them were busts in the NFL. Leinart, Young, Mariota, etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(04-16-2024, 02:01 PM)Still Hurtn Wrote: National Champ game 10-18 for 140

Against OSU 16-20 for 148

Against Maryland 12-23 for 141

Penn St 7-8 for 60 (no passes 2nd half)

He had some good games last year I just don't see him as some prolific passer. How is he going to be any different then

Ponder, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, Trabisky and a like. 

Good kid, athletic, belongs in the league. Just don't see him lighting it up in the NFL.

It's hard for me to think a QB that couldn't light it up in college is going to light up the NFL. I know Harbaugh's offense doesn't run through the QB, but these numbers are real head scratchers; especially if you think he can do better against the NFL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PurplePastor's post:

I like him, I just don't like him enough or think he's bust proof enough to mortgage three first round picks to get, including next years 1st. Theres just no way. I'd rather keep the picks, take Byron Murphy at #11 and use the #23 pick to maneuver up or down for Nix or Penix. You can't go all in for the 4th rated QB in this draft who by most accounts is probably a mid to late first rounder in most normal drafts.
[-] The following 4 users Like supafreak84's post:

"Penix was always our guy."

Anyone else just braced for this statement from KO and Kwesi next Thursday night?

I'd love Maye and I'd like JJM. Both-- especially JJ-- are projections like Maroon said. But the tools are there. Penix has already shown it (except in that one game), but he also has the injury history and is older. It's a tough call but I'd be happier with I think any of the other 5, especially the top 4, over Penix. But I've been very wrong before.

I just hope we draft a QB and whoever the heck we get can play some football.

(04-16-2024, 04:56 PM)PurplePastor Wrote: It's hard for me to think a QB that couldn't light it up in college is going to light up the NFL. I know Harbaugh's offense doesn't run through the QB, but these numbers are real head scratchers; especially if you think he can do better against the NFL.

Full disclosure, I watched all of 4 Michigan games, and while I won't pretend to be one of the many interwebs scouts on this board. I guess I didn't see that he couldn't put up numbers, the need was never there. I did see games where he had quite productive first halves and the team was up big so they ran the ball in the second half. Again other than padding "garbage time" stats what's the point in throwing it around when you're in firm control of the game defensively and on the ground?

I'd suggest going back through the box scores and game recaps of some of the games listed to garner a bit of context for the numbers. The natty for example they rushed for over 300 yards and averaged 8 ypc. If you're that successful on the ground and never trail why go away from what's quite obviously working?

I also think 3 #1's is too much for JJ. I would however take that swing for Daniels or Maye.

But would you mortgage 11 and 23 for JJ? Leaving us with not another pick till what? Rd 4 this draft?

But we'd have our #1 for 2025. I'd have to trust KOC?/KAM on that one.