Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I still think Minnesota won't move up before #4 or #5.
Quote: @StickyBun said:
@kmillard said:
I am the opposite as I think the only safe spots are 2 or 3 and that's what they end up with someway somehow.
But that's not my point. My point is that the top 3 teams are going to take a QB. Because they need one. Just as badly as Minnesota. Why would they trade out of that if your logic is to move up no matter what....isn't their logic then also don't trade down no matter what because they also want a franchise QB? I keep hearing from Supa how talentless the Vikings are.... and then from others that New England shouldn't draft a QB because they'd 'ruin him'. lol, you see what I mean? Then others say well maybe New England doesn't like Maye or Daniels....ok, can't that hold true for Minnesota as well? 

I agree that to get who we THINK (because we don't know for sure who Minnesota likes) the #2 or #3 pick would be safest. But why would they be interested in moving down if you're using the same logic of why Minnesota should do anything to move up? Does that make sense? I'm seriously asking as I'm trying to communicate my opinion, not sure if I'm doing it well or not.

I understood your point. I am just thinking that 2 or 3 most likely gets them who they want and especially security if the trade is done before the draft. 4 or 5 should be lesser draft capital but those spots are even looking iffy now with who is on the board and team needs etc.

I think Jayden Daniels is their guy and they’ll give up a ton to get to number 2. He’s the best QB in this draft at this point and everything about him says franchise QB. I’m not confident they can convince the Commanders to let go of their pick though. They are probably taking him. If not, the Pats are their best bet. They could use an extra pick and if the Pats are into Penix, maybe they can get them to do it. 

I wouldn’t take Drake Maye unless he shows significant improvement with his footwork at his pro day. He is working alongside Nix with the same QB coach, so perhaps he recognizes his weaknesses and is working on them. As of now, I wouldn’t risk taking him. He’s a long ways from being ready. I like him a lot, but the risk is big and there are better options in Penix and Nix. JJM is probably a better prospect even if he’s very inexperienced. 

As for Penix and Nix, I go back and forth on those two. Both are great prospects with natural accuracy and timing. It’s a tough call for me, but I’d be really excited with either.

I think the trade for 23 was exciting but premature if they do not have a deal in place - and it seems they do not. I also don't think any of these guys is worth 3 firsts except maybe Caleb. I'm happy to roll with Darnold next year and see how he does. I really liked him at USC and he's still only 26.

If the top 4 QBs are gone by 11, ideally I would trade back and see if anyone is giving up next year's 1. Then try again next draft. Alternatively, take Turner, and if he is gone take Murphy or Mitchell at 11 and see what kind of offers we get at 23. 

I don't really get the handwringing. Last year was fun. We were doing well when Cousins went down. We had a few more weeks of excitement with Dobbs and we got to see Addison step up when JJ went down. 10 TDs? That's awesome. We were never going to be as bad as Carolina. And I'm not convinced that Maye or Daniels or JJM would get this team to the SB. So chill. 

Like a lot of folks here, I've been a fan of this team for more than 50 years. Waiting another year or two for a ring won't kill me. Until then, let's enjoy the ride.

I'm going out on a limb here...my sources tell me that we are going to stand pat at 11 and 23 and get two solid picks instead of mortgaging one (without a second rounder).
I believe the Vikings are going to take one of three "second-tier" QBs at 11. McCarthy, Penex or Nix.  I like what Colin Cowherd said about the second most successful QB in the draft this year will be the one that the Vikings select, because of KOC.  I think he can make a top tier QB out of any of those three.  I don't understand why I'm not a JJ McCarthy fan.  I've been saying Nix for months, and the reality is that Penex had one bad game all year...it just happened to be the national championship game (ugh).

Purple to purple:

[Image: michael-penix-jr-uw-huskies-cfp-rankings...ty-900.jpg]

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Purple to purple:

I know thats what your sources say.

But bloody hell, his injury history reads like something out of a Grey's Anatomy/9-1-1 episode...

He better be head and shoulders over Nix in the evaluation b4 I would even consider him. Let alone @ 11. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
Purple to purple:

I know thats what your sources say.

But bloody hell, his injury history reads like something out of a Grey's Anatomy/9-1-1 episode...

He better be head and shoulders over Nix in the evaluation b4 I would even consider him. Let alone @ 11. 

I’ll be shocked if we take Penix early. If he falls like a stone maybe but otherwise I don’t see it. Dicey under pressure, seems to excel in shotgun which we don’t run. Idk. Does not seem like a guy KO would be pounding the table for and that’s not even mentioning his injuries or the “finished product” label.

Take it FWIW....which may not be much. 

=======================
Patriots’ new head coach, Jerod Mayo, made some fascinating comments on Monday, allowing Vikings fans to dream of picking third overall. 
“Obviously, quarterback is definitely a priority. With that being said, we’re still open to any type of deals that come our way,” Mayo said and added: “We’re open to trading the pick. … If someone offers a bag — a lot of first-round picks — we’ll have that conversation.
Vikings fans know their franchise can offer that proverbial bag. Minnesota possesses two first-rounders in 2024, and they could obviously add more future assets. It is costly to trade up for a passer, but nobody will ever question that deal again if that guy becomes a franchise quarterback. 

Mayo didn’t stop there: “I understand the frustration and expectations built over the last 20 years. … But we’re trying to build this the right way for the long term.”
Building the roster “the right way” sounds like the Patriots want to fill the other holes first before introducing a rookie QB. That can be done best by doubling the selections in the first round. Passers need a good environment to flourish, especially early in their career. Many talented prospects flame out quickly because they don’t have the right coaching, offensive line, or receivers, and New England’s roster leaves much to be desired. 
Minnesota is in a different stage. The receiving crew is one of the best in the business, and the coaching staff includes multiple former NFL quarterbacks who could help the rookie grow. The offensive line was vastly improved in 2023.
Mayo’s comments are much more than the average nothingness coaches and GMs usually provide at press conferences. He seemed willing to share those thoughts. 
If the Vikings acquired New England’s third pick, they would have the choice between two of Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, and J.J. McCarthy. LSU passer Daniels is favored to go second overall, but crazier things have happened.
https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/vikings-trade-partner-might-be-locked-and-loaded

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Take it FWIW....which may not be much. 

=======================
Patriots’ new head coach, Jerod Mayo, made some fascinating comments on Monday, allowing Vikings fans to dream of picking third overall. 
“Obviously, quarterback is definitely a priority. With that being said, we’re still open to any type of deals that come our way,” Mayo said and added: “We’re open to trading the pick. … If someone offers a bag — a lot of first-round picks — we’ll have that conversation.
Vikings fans know their franchise can offer that proverbial bag. Minnesota possesses two first-rounders in 2024, and they could obviously add more future assets. It is costly to trade up for a passer, but nobody will ever question that deal again if that guy becomes a franchise quarterback. 

Mayo didn’t stop there: “I understand the frustration and expectations built over the last 20 years. … But we’re trying to build this the right way for the long term.”
Building the roster “the right way” sounds like the Patriots want to fill the other holes first before introducing a rookie QB. That can be done best by doubling the selections in the first round. Passers need a good environment to flourish, especially early in their career. Many talented prospects flame out quickly because they don’t have the right coaching, offensive line, or receivers, and New England’s roster leaves much to be desired. 
Minnesota is in a different stage. The receiving crew is one of the best in the business, and the coaching staff includes multiple former NFL quarterbacks who could help the rookie grow. The offensive line was vastly improved in 2023.
Mayo’s comments are much more than the average nothingness coaches and GMs usually provide at press conferences. He seemed willing to share those thoughts. 
If the Vikings acquired New England’s third pick, they would have the choice between two of Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye, and J.J. McCarthy. LSU passer Daniels is favored to go second overall, but crazier things have happened.
https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/vikings-trade-partner-might-be-locked-and-loaded
Yeah, just some blogger fans run vikingsterritory. They know about as much as what Mayo is really thinking as my dog does. Its just fodder for the 24/7 NFL fans.

The Patriots needs a QB as badly as Minnesota. They pick #3. Why would they pass on that opportunity? And Minnesota is going to overpay for the #3 QB? I guess it just doesn't add up for me. What Mayo is saying is if someone loses their mind and does something stupid, sure...we're here for it. I'm not of the mind to move into the Top 3, just too expensive. Chicago isn't moving and neither is Washington. I'll be shocked if New England does. JMO.

Washington might take JJ at 2. He's either way higher than everyone thinks or he's the biggest, fattest, reddist red herring anyone's ever seen. 

https://twitter.com/wludford/status/1772...24345?s=20