Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Darnold, new Viking's QB
Obviously, we didn’t have much of a non-Kirk plan since we
got Kirk, spanning 2 GMs and 2 Head Coaches, and that’s a huge negative on both
groups, and while I think it would have been nice to have Cousins as the bridge
QB while we find something better, I think it’s tough to keep committing to Cousins
for 3 years and also plan for building around a rookie while they are on their
rookie deal.  Like if we matched Atlanta’s
deal, we probably have no outs until after 3 years and then we’ve got a $40M dead
cap hit in year 4, assuming no restructuring. 
I also think while Cousins was the best bridge QB, and a guy that can
elevate you to the perimeter of the playoffs, there’s still not a lot of
evidence that he’s the guy that will take you deep into the playoffs, and for a
guy who’s in the upper half of his 30’s, you’d really hope there would be a
track record of winning and there’s not, so now you’re banking on the potential
of Kirk to be able to elevate his game compared to the potential of whichever
rookie we draft and $45M a year.  Like we
can’t even say that Cousins routinely got us to the playoffs.  6 years, 2 playoffs, 1 playoff win.

good move.  Can get you to the playoffs with a roster around him, also a good stopgap for a young QB.  Let KOC and Josh work with him.

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
good move.  Can get you to the playoffs with a roster around him, also a good stopgap for a young QB.  Let KOC and Josh work with him.
Considering he’s never won more than 7 games while also seeing dead people…the answer is “no”

Darnold is not being brought in to be the guy, but to be the just in case guy and in that way he really is a solid signing.  Most teams eventually find themselves in this situation where they have to find their QB in the draft, not ideal, but sometimes you have to take your swing at it and with drafting higher that we usually do and with the moves we made yesterday it looks like we are putting ourselves in the best possible position to do what we need to get the QB we want. 

Quote: @"CFIAvike" said:
@"Skodin" said:
Considering he’s never won more than 7 games while also seeing dead people…the answer is “no”
This little fella didn't win many games before he came to Minnesota and won 11.....and a BIG playoff game.

[Image: merlin_131744648_5acbb816-9f59-445f-a427...ter675.jpg]

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Darnold is not being brought in to be the guy, but to be the just in case guy and in that way he really is a solid signing.  Most teams eventually find themselves in this situation where they have to find their QB in the draft, not ideal, but sometimes you have to take your swing at it and with drafting higher that we usually do and with the moves we made yesterday it looks like we are putting ourselves in the best possible position to do what we need to get the QB we want. 
If you go by what Geoff says, the highest were lilely to trade is #5, which means the 4th best QB (ala McCarthy/Ponder). 

Darnold IS the guy this year as there’s no way McCarthy should even hold a clipboard this year, let alone sniff the field.  

Give me Mullins over Darnold.  I'll take a flyer on a gamer who can push the ball but has not learned to control his recklessness over the puke I have seen from Darnold (and yes, I saw all of his starts for Carolina).

Quote: @"Purpleblooded" said:
Give me Mullins over Darnold.  I'll take a flyer on a gamer who can push the ball but has not learned to control his recklessness over the puke I have seen from Darnold (and yes, I saw all of his starts for Carolina).
**cough** You've watched Mullens, correct?  :p

8 TDs and 9 INTs as a Viking. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:

But lots of yards. It's all about the yards man!

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Purpleblooded" said:

But lots of yards. It's all about the yards man!
I thought the real beauty of Nick was the unintentional football slapstick routine he put on tape every week.