Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Honestly…is this fun for anyone?
Quote: @StickyBun said:
When has fun ever been a part of being a Viking's fan?  :p

Typically between October and late December, sometimes early Early January.

Quote: @wiviking said:
@StickyBun said:
When has fun ever been a part of being a Viking's fan?  :p

Typically between October and late December, sometimes early Early January.
I did love my Kirktobers.....

[Image: eqmjddr290x91.jpg]

We are doing what we have to do, there is no way we could have matched the contract for Kirk.  The part that is not fun is having a GM with little experience being the one making franchise changing decisions, but I give him credit for holding his ground with Kirk and trying to fill as many holes as possible to put us in a position to be able to move up in the draft.  Like the Van Ginkel signing, but not a fan of the two Texans, Ryans was not going to let anyone walk that he felt was worth the money with all the cap space they have. 

Yes.  We are upgrading pieces at ILB, Edge, Edge, RB while ridding ourselves of an albatross that would keep us from getting to the promise land.

Go out and sign a big DT like DJ Reader and head to the draft with options:
  • Trade up to get YOUR GUY
  • Hope that JJ falls to 11 and take him when he does
  • If top 4 QBs are gone, stay at 11 and take BPA (DE/DT) and deal back up into the 1st with KC/SF for a QB like Penix or Nix (adding the 5th year option)
An offseason of upgrading OLB, OLB, ILB, DT, RB, DE, and drafting a QB of the future while having a QB that can win games in Darnold is a HUGE offseason

Quote: @Rigby said:
@MaroonBells said:

With that in mind, failing to sign Cousins last year was just stupid.
This...
I think it was the plan! They tried hard to get their new QB last year, and failed. They envisioned a year of learning behind Kirk. So they had the same idea for this year, but only if they could get Kirk on a shorter contract. If they really wanted Kirk, they wouldn't have let him get to free agency like you said.

Those who are depressed over Kirk leaving need to back away from the ledge. It's a new beginning and they are building a better team around the QB position. 

I doubt Cousins would have took the Vikings to the superbowl and I don't see Atlanta as more than a one and done playoff team, if they make it that far. KOC made Kirk better than what he was before. He wasn't worth the money for the Vikings and won't be for Atlanta. I doubt he will even play 4 more years.
Thanks Kirk. Cya!

Quote: @Skodin said:
Yes.  We are upgrading pieces at ILB, Edge, Edge, RB while ridding ourselves of an albatross that would keep us from getting to the promise land.

Go out and sign a big DT like DJ Reader and head to the draft with options:
  • Trade up to get YOUR GUY
  • Hope that JJ falls to 11 and take him when he does
  • If top 4 QBs are gone, stay at 11 and take BPA (DE/DT) and deal back up into the 1st with KC/SF for a QB like Penix or Nix (adding the 5th year option)
An offseason of upgrading OLB, OLB, ILB, DT, RB, DE, and drafting a QB of the future while having a QB that can win games in Darnold is a HUGE offseason
Better yet trade up to #5 for JJM/Ponder.  Which is exactly what they’re gonna do

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
It is what it is but I'm not even mad. They added to the defense and made the money stretch. 
And they aren't likely done.  FA is like first Christmas for NFL fans,  you get a bunch of shiny new toys,  the draft is the second Chrsitmas.  Sure you don't always get what you want,  but to focus on what you didn't get that you wanted instead of the fun your new stuff will get you is just going ro leave one bitter.   

The day Cousins achilles popped he was out the door,  sure he was technically still a Viking,  hell he still is,  but that day he got hurt he essentially started free agency and was done playing for the Vikings,  I always viewed him one and figured the only way we would retain him would likely have a negative affect on future rosters,  which it appears it would have.

I'm going ro look forward to today and the rest of free agency,  then the draft,  and see what comes of this new direction instead of focusing on losing out on 1 damn player.

Skol!
Spotrac:

Kirk Cousins signed a 4-year, $180,000,000 contract with the Atlanta Falcons, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $100,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $45,000,000. In 2024, Cousins will earn a base salary of $12,500,000 and a signing bonus of $50,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $25,000,000 and a dead cap value of $90,000,000.

I'm very happy we didn't win the bidding war for Kirk's service with the numbers above.  That money should go towards free agents and JJ/Darrisaw.  He is walking away or limping with 150,000,000 of the total 180,000,000 fully guaranteed today.  Wow, no thanks.  He will be 36 years coming off a torn Achilles that not many come back 100% or last that long.  Huge risk for the Flacons IMO.  

Now to our beloved Vikings - WTF are we doing at QB?  Darnold - yuck.  We still have Mullins (whom I don't hate but also don't think he is going to take us very far).  I was hoping we would have brought in Browning (former Viking) and/or Zack Wilson even before Kirk decided to go with the money (who wouldn't).  Browning resigned with the Bengals and Wilson must be deemed too much of a reclamation project to risk along with a first round QB.   We still have Hall?  

So, after this draft we have 4 QB's - Darnold/Mullins/Hall/rookie.  That is no Murder's row but maybe we can get lucky for once like other franchises.  

I like what they are doing on D assuming the trenches are addressed in short order.  Our offense is still loaded after we resign JJ/Darrisaw and Hock gets back around mid-season.  I think Mullins might beat out Darnold and we will want the rookie to sit for a while, but that hand will be forced before his rookie season.  I think we will enter 2025 knowing if we have a QB or not and do more roster reconstruction.  

Honestly, I think we were treading water the last few seasons with an aging roster and cap numbers.  Two seasons ago we had a ridiculous record with a horrible Defense that got beat by the lowly Giants in round 1 - embarrassing.  Last season was somewhat of a Mash unit, but we were playing typical Viking football some great games followed by duds.  I guess some folks think if we squeak into the playoffs, we would have had a chance to get hot and make a run to the SB.  I am not one of those fans.  

Now let's build a SB competing/winning roster not just a playoff treading water roster.  BTW, our divisional rivals have been improving the last few seasons.   

Falcons paid a lot to win that division.  Between Carr, Mayfield, KC and Young you have a combined 3 career playoff victories.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
It is what it is but I'm not even mad. They added to the defense and made the money stretch. 
And they aren't likely done.  FA is like first Christmas for NFL fans,  you get a bunch of shiny new toys,  the draft is the second Chrsitmas.  Sure you don't always get what you want,  but to focus on what you didn't get that you wanted instead of the fun your new stuff will get you is just going ro leave one bitter.   

The day Cousins achilles popped he was out the door,  sure he was technically still a Viking,  hell he still is,  but that day he got hurt he essentially started free agency and was done playing for the Vikings,  I always viewed him one and figured the only way we would retain him would likely have a negative affect on future rosters,  which it appears it would have.

I'm going ro look forward to today and the rest of free agency,  then the draft,  and see what comes of this new direction instead of focusing on losing out on 1 damn player.

Skol!
Spotrac:

Kirk Cousins signed a 4-year, $180,000,000 contract with the Atlanta Falcons, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $100,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $45,000,000. In 2024, Cousins will earn a base salary of $12,500,000 and a signing bonus of $50,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $25,000,000 and a dead cap value of $90,000,000.

I'm very happy we didn't win the bidding war for Kirk's service with the numbers above.  That money should go towards free agents and JJ/Darrisaw.  He is walking away or limping with 150,000,000 of the total 180,000,000 fully guaranteed today.  Wow, no thanks.  He will be 36 years coming off a torn Achilles that not many come back 100% or last that long.  Huge risk for the Flacons IMO.  

Now to our beloved Vikings - WTF are we doing at QB?  Darnold - yuck.  We still have Mullins (whom I don't hate but also don't think he is going to take us very far).  I was hoping we would have brought in Browning (former Viking) and/or Zack Wilson even before Kirk decided to go with the money (who wouldn't).  Browning resigned with the Bengals and Wilson must be deemed too much of a reclamation project to risk along with a first round QB.   We still have Hall?  

So, after this draft we have 4 QB's - Darnold/Mullins/Hall/rookie.  That is no Murder's row but maybe we can get lucky for once like other franchises.  

I like what they are doing on D assuming the trenches are addressed in short order.  Our offense is still loaded after we resign JJ/Darrisaw and Hock gets back around mid-season.  I think Mullins might beat out Darnold and we will want the rookie to sit for a while, but that hand will be forced before his rookie season.  I think we will enter 2025 knowing if we have a QB or not and do more roster reconstruction.  

Honestly, I think we were treading water the last few seasons with an aging roster and cap numbers.  Two seasons ago we had a ridiculous record with a horrible Defense that got beat by the lowly Giants in round 1 - embarrassing.  Last season was somewhat of a Mash unit, but we were playing typical Viking football some great games followed by duds.  I guess some folks think if we squeak into the playoffs, we would have had a chance to get hot and make a run to the SB.  I am not one of those fans.  

Now let's build a SB competing/winning roster not just a playoff treading water roster.  BTW, our divisional rivals have been improving the last few seasons.   

You, Jimmy, and I have all been okay with moving on from Kirk for a bit now. It made sense and still does.
The problem I'm having is the lack of succession plan. Us 3 aren't exactly geniuses (no offense). So if we could see the writing on the wall it's borderline unacceptable that Kirk is gone and there's nothing better to fall back on than a career backup. Things happen and KAM has to adapt, which is why I think we're trading way up in the draft and will frankly feel better once we do, but for now, giving all these weapons to Sam Darnold is like handing the Maserati to the 16 year old on her cell phone.
Kirk was with us for a long time and at any point in the past couple years, transitioning from him to someone else could have and should have been way smoother than this.
I like KAM but I don't give him much credit for not matching ATL's offer. It should have never ever gotten to the point where the only 2 options are pay a hurt Kirk $200M or pay Sam Darnold and pray on draft night.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:

Skol!
Spotrac:

The problem I'm having is the lack of succession plan. Us 3 aren't exactly geniuses (no offense). So if we could see the writing on the wall it's borderline unacceptable that Kirk is gone and there's nothing better to fall back on than a career backup. Things happen and KAM has to adapt, which is why I think we're trading way up in the draft and will frankly feel better once we do, but for now, giving all these weapons to Sam Darnold is like handing the Maserati to the 16 year old on her cell phone.

Smile