Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Darnold Ugh
Quote: @StickyBun said:
lol, some seem very disturbed by this rumor. I guess its gospel when you've got that narrative you need to keep propping up.
Just the offseason from Tom Pelissero - no narrative 

Coming into the NFL offseason, we’ve known all along that the 49ers would be looking at some changes, whether they’d won the Super Bowl or not. Maybe the most obvious spot for change was always going to be in the 49ers quarterback room, where the team liked Sam Darnold enough to warrant letting Trey Lance go to Dallas in what amounted to a dump-off trade last August.
Now, Darnold is set to move on in search of a starting job. And NFL Network insider Tom Pelissero reported this week that there could be one in the offing—in Minnesota, replacing starter Kirk Cousins.
“(The Vikings) would like to re-sign Kirk Cousins, who is set to become a free agent in March. But my anticipation is that Cousins will have a strong market as a free agent, even at age 35 coming off an Achilles,” Pelissero said. “Minnesota is examining all options in the event that Cousins ends up landing elsewhere. If, in fact, the price tag goes too high, the Vikings would pursue a more economical veteran.
“One guy who is a possibility: Sam Darnold, the 49ers’ current backup here, hoping that he becomes this year’s Baker Mayfield, while also buying them time to maybe also develop a rookie quarterback.”

That’s the reality if they don’t get him signed. We eat his entire dead cap to go with it. They inexplicably (in my opinion) created the dead huge dead cap last year to make some room for players I didn’t consider worth it. 

None of the rookies should start year one. if they have to, I forsee this:

1. Caleb - maybe catch lightning in a bottle until defenses figure him out? Ton of picks and fumbles more likely.

2. Drake - yikes. Of all of them, he needs time. It would probably be an ugly year of learning.

3. Jayden Daniels - best option. He has the ability to get teams with his legs which can make a huge difference for a rookie. 

4. Bo Nix - Second best option. He’s conservative which will drive is all a little crazy, but his arm talent and smarts will keep him improving throughout the season. Most likley to have a Stroud type start.

5. Penix - Has the arm talent to get by and get better. Probably 3rd best option - injury fear though

6. JJ - Running a conservative system may get by, but desperately needs time. 

We don’t know where Jaren Hall will be at. He has some ability and could maybe push to start depending on development. Other than that, Mullins, in my opinion, is probably as good of an option as the Darnolds of the world.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
Lol yup, this is a strong possibility if Kirk leaves. All I can do is laugh and shake my head. I hate it, but I'd also hate getting bent by Kirk on a multi year guaranteed deal where we are once again deferring money into future dead years. It's a shitty situation but it's the situation those in charge have painted themselves into 
Yep. Without Kirk we’re gonna need some kind of miracle to not be terrible. That’s why I think the Vikings will be desperate and ultimately successful in re-signing him. Not my preferred route but I’ll support whatever. I just hope we can fight our way outta this situation since our backs are kind of against the wall. Thankfully it’s the NFL and tides turn quickly. 
I don't think a team with JJ, Addison, Hockenson, two elite tackles and B-Flo on defense is ever going to be terrible. Even if you put the worst QB in the NFL on that team they would be modestly competitive.

The Vikings will sign Cousins because he gives them the best chance to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years, short of landing the next CJ Stroud, which seems pretty unlikely. The Vikings, with Cousins, are Super Bowl contenders. The Vikings without Cousins, using a bridge or a rookie, are probably pretty much the same thing they were this year weeks 9 thru 18. 

Every scrap of evidence from the past ~6 years says this is not true.
Playoff contenders, not Super Bowl contenders. Big FKIN difference.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:
Lol yup, this is a strong possibility if Kirk leaves. All I can do is laugh and shake my head. I hate it, but I'd also hate getting bent by Kirk on a multi year guaranteed deal where we are once again deferring money into future dead years. It's a shitty situation but it's the situation those in charge have painted themselves into 
Yep. Without Kirk we’re gonna need some kind of miracle to not be terrible. That’s why I think the Vikings will be desperate and ultimately successful in re-signing him. Not my preferred route but I’ll support whatever. I just hope we can fight our way outta this situation since our backs are kind of against the wall. Thankfully it’s the NFL and tides turn quickly. 
I don't think a team with JJ, Addison, Hockenson, two elite tackles and B-Flo on defense is ever going to be terrible. Even if you put the worst QB in the NFL on that team they would be modestly competitive.

The Vikings will sign Cousins because he gives them the best chance to win a Super Bowl in the next couple years, short of landing the next CJ Stroud, which seems pretty unlikely. The Vikings, with Cousins, are Super Bowl contenders. The Vikings without Cousins, using a bridge or a rookie, are probably pretty much the same thing they were this year weeks 9 thru 18. 

Yep. Agree to disagree @MaroonBells. Would love to be proven wrong and for the Vikings to make a SB in my lifetime. Someday.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:

What's the big FKIN difference? 

https://youtu.be/LluAI0f0N9s?si=sP6Ihsy4auO4mb-U
https://youtu.be/goAvP2I-twQ?si=kEe9YPQaiCoA-X1u

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:

@kmillard said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:

Well we've averaged 8.8 wins/season since Kirk got here and the Chiefs have 3 rings since then. They're a perennial super bowl contender. If you're saying the gap between us and the best of the best isn't wide, you my friend are delusional.
I fully think teams, including us, are capable of a magic season where we catch lightning in a bottle but always counting on that season being just over the horizon is a fool's errand. Let's build something real. That might be with Kirk or it might not I don't really care, but it has not been built in the past 6 years. At all.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@StickyBun said:
lol, some seem very disturbed by this rumor. I guess its gospel when you've got that narrative you need to keep propping up.
Just the offseason from Tom Pelissero - no narrative 

Coming into the NFL offseason, we’ve known all along that the 49ers would be looking at some changes, whether they’d won the Super Bowl or not. Maybe the most obvious spot for change was always going to be in the 49ers quarterback room, where the team liked Sam Darnold enough to warrant letting Trey Lance go to Dallas in what amounted to a dump-off trade last August.
Now, Darnold is set to move on in search of a starting job. And NFL Network insider Tom Pelissero reported this week that there could be one in the offing—in Minnesota, replacing starter Kirk Cousins.
“(The Vikings) would like to re-sign Kirk Cousins, who is set to become a free agent in March. But my anticipation is that Cousins will have a strong market as a free agent, even at age 35 coming off an Achilles,” Pelissero said. “Minnesota is examining all options in the event that Cousins ends up landing elsewhere. If, in fact, the price tag goes too high, the Vikings would pursue a more economical veteran.
“One guy who is a possibility: Sam Darnold, the 49ers’ current backup here, hoping that he becomes this year’s Baker Mayfield, while also buying them time to maybe also develop a rookie quarterback.”
The narrative from some is this is gospel. Its not. Listen, I'm personally going to get behind whatever direction they choose. Some scenarios I'll prefer over others. I'll complain if the outcome isn't positive, but I'll at least wait to SEE the outcome of those decisions. I won't shit on something before its necessary and obvious. Any kind of wait and see attitude is compared to being PollyAnna, which I'm certainly not. 

I'm as long suffering as anyone in this forum or that was here for the sites previous to this one. I'm just not the guy to sit there, pinch faced and arms folded, just shitting on every single thing the team does until a Superbowl is won. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:

Well we've averaged 8.8 wins/season since Kirk got here and the Chiefs have 3 rings since then. They're a perennial super bowl contender. If you're saying the gap between us and the best of the best isn't wide, you my friend are delusional.
I fully think teams, including us, are capable of a magic season where we catch lightning in a bottle but always counting on that season being just over the horizon is a fool's errand. Let's build something real. That might be with Kirk or it might not I don't really care, but it has not been built in the past 6 years. At all.
Then I'm delusional. Because the gap isn't wide. 

But nor do I think it's wide for the Lions or Ravens either. Or the Packers, Cowboys, or Bills. I think if you replaced the 49ers with the Lions it would've been a similarly competitive game. Same if you replaced the Chiefs with the Ravens. Or the Bills. 

Watch those highlights. Vikings beat the 49ers without JJ. Chiefs game could've gone either way despite an obvious DPI miss in the end zone and the fact that JJ went down in the 2nd half. So yes, I think if Cousins doesn't go down in Green Bay the following week--a game the Vikings were dominating 24-7 at the time--this team walks into the playoffs.

What I think is delusional is the thought that the Super Bowl winner is far and away the best team in the NFL. I think if the Chiefs and 9ers played that game 10 more times, it breaks even. 5-5. Throw in the Lions, maybe the Chiefs win six. I think if you put Cousins back on the team the Vikings pull out a few too. 

@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@supafreak84 said:

Then I'm delusional. Because the gap isn't wide. 

But nor do I think it's wide for the Lions or Ravens either. Or the Packers, Cowboys, or Bills. I think if you replaced the 49ers with the Lions it would've been a similarly competitive game. Same if you replaced the Chiefs with the Ravens. Or the Bills. 

Watch those highlights. Vikings beat the 49ers without JJ. Chiefs game could've gone either way despite an obvious DPI miss in the end zone and the fact that JJ went down in the 2nd half. So yes, I think if Cousins doesn't go down in Green Bay the following week--a game the Vikings were dominating 24-7 at the time--this team walks into the playoffs.

What I think is delusional is the thought that the Super Bowl winner is far and away the best team in the NFL. I think if the Chiefs and 9ers played that game 10 more times, it breaks even. 5-5. Throw in the Lions, maybe the Chiefs win six. I think if you put Cousins back on the team the Vikings pull out a few too. 
The gap between the Vikings and the top tiers of teams was sizeable.  The Vikings didn't have a running game.  The Vikings have like one stud on defense and couldn't withstand hardly any injuries on defense.  If you assume Cousins stays healthy and a normal amount of injuries on defense, we're probably losing in the first or second rounds of the playoffs 9 out of 10 times.  If we restock our defense this year and decide to not have a one dimensional offense, can we become a team that has a better than 50% chance of making it to the championship game?  We need to have one hell of an offseason, but it's completely possible, but it's also possible that we lose Cousins and Hunter and are worse than last year.