Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you give a 2nd rounder for Fields?
Quote: @"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
I posted in another thread about Fields shortly before you made this one. My answer is yes.

Of the people saying hell no, what if- hypothetically- Kirk is gone. Signs somewhere else, retires, whatever. He’s out. Does that change your answer?

My first move would be trying to trade up for Maye or Daniels but now let’s say that’s not an option either (Very likely).

That leaves us with Russell Wilson, a dude off the scrap heap, or Mccarthy/Nix/Penix as starter for next season.

Frankly Fields sounds a heckuva lot safer to me than any of those guys. The one thing that would give me pause on Fields isn’t him, it’s actually us. We have weapons but can KO tailor his offense to a QB like Fields? 3 months ago I’d have said definitely but after how this season went now I’m not as certain. 

I like McCarthy a lot and will be happy if the Vikings draft him. But most of what this franchise has done for the past 20 years tells me they won’t start a rookie at QB Week 1. The Vikings will choose the safer option almost every time. So I think Fields is very much in play for us if Chicago will do it. He’s a fun player. 
Or you could end-up with a guy like Minshew and let a tier 2 rook QB marinate a for a season.

That'll have to be the case if Kirko leaves in March. 

That'll sell a lot of tickets. 
You think selling tickets is an issue, or even really much of a concern?  I haven't heard of the threat of a black out in years in MN.
well it’s been years since we’ve gone into a season starting a wet fart like Minshew at QB
Ok,  if you think its the promise of a better tomorrow is coming with resigning Cousins and that is going to sell tickets then there really is very little to say besides LOL.

Last time the Vikings didn't sell out was 1997,  plenty of less than promising outlooks to start the season and they still sold out the metronome for another 2 decades.  Meanwhile in 09, with Favre and one of the best teams to ever take the field for the Vikings there were 3 times the team was in danger of a blackout .  The previous season they damn near had a blacked out home playoff .game so I dont really see a correlation as evidenced by history.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
I posted in another thread about Fields shortly before you made this one. My answer is yes.

Of the people saying hell no, what if- hypothetically- Kirk is gone. Signs somewhere else, retires, whatever. He’s out. Does that change your answer?

My first move would be trying to trade up for Maye or Daniels but now let’s say that’s not an option either (Very likely).

That leaves us with Russell Wilson, a dude off the scrap heap, or Mccarthy/Nix/Penix as starter for next season.

Frankly Fields sounds a heckuva lot safer to me than any of those guys. The one thing that would give me pause on Fields isn’t him, it’s actually us. We have weapons but can KO tailor his offense to a QB like Fields? 3 months ago I’d have said definitely but after how this season went now I’m not as certain. 

I like McCarthy a lot and will be happy if the Vikings draft him. But most of what this franchise has done for the past 20 years tells me they won’t start a rookie at QB Week 1. The Vikings will choose the safer option almost every time. So I think Fields is very much in play for us if Chicago will do it. He’s a fun player. 
Or you could end-up with a guy like Minshew and let a tier 2 rook QB marinate a for a season.

You think selling tickets is an issue, or even really much of a concern?  I haven't heard of the threat of a black out in years in MN.
well it’s been years since we’ve gone into a season starting a wet fart like Minshew at QB
Ok,  if you think its the promise of a better tomorrow is coming with resigning Cousins and that is going to sell tickets then there really is very little to say besides LOL.

Last time the Vikings didn't sell out was 1997,  plenty of less than promising outlooks to start the season and they still sold out the metronome for another 2 decades.  Meanwhile in 09, with Favre and one of the best teams to ever take the field for the Vikings there were 3 times the team was in danger of a blackout .  The previous season they damn near had a blacked out home playoff .game so I dont really see a correlation as evidenced by history.

I am sure many of the fans just want to see the atmosphere and JJ running around. I know a few people in marketing department and ticket sales are not a worry I can tell you that.

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

I am sure many of the fans just want to see the atmosphere and JJ running around. I know a few people in marketing department and ticket sales are not a worry I can tell you that.
yes, I’m sure JJ and the boys will enjoy getting booed off the field by a “sell out crowd” while Minshew, Tannehill, or some other shit stain stinks up the field. The players will pray for people to stop giving a shit and quit showing up, which will be the case after mid-season. 

I have a growing hunch Fields is going to end-up in Vegas...

@"kmillard" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

yes, I’m sure JJ and the boys will enjoy getting booed off the field by a “sell out crowd” while Minshew, Tannehill, or some other shit stain stinks up the field. The players will pray for people to stop giving a shit and quit showing up, which will be the case after mid-season. 
Minnesota fans still sell out the Wild games (NHL) and they have been middle of the road like the Vikings for years. And they suck this year. I dont think being .500 or 9-8 with Cousins or Minshew is going to make much difference in ticket sales having watched this market forever. There is still a waiting list for season tickets.

@"CFIAvike" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

Minnesota fans still sell out the Wild games (NHL) and they have been middle of the road like the Vikings for years. And they suck this year. I dont think being .500 or 9-8 with Cousins or Minshew is going to make much difference in ticket sales having watched this market forever. There is still a waiting list for season tickets.
There is no way on Earth Minshew (or anyone else of his skill level) is getting more than 5-6 wins and there will be no illusion to anything but. 

Yes, there will be season ticket holders. But I guarantee those same ticket holders will be unloading tickets at face value or less if we trot out anything other than Kirk or a “Top 3” option at QB game 1. 

Anything short of that will absolutely signal to the fan base that the tank is on and the Vikings have no interest in competing in 2024. 

@"kmillard" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

There is no way on Earth Minshew (or anyone else of his skill level) is getting more than 5-6 wins and there will be no illusion to anything but. 

Yes, there will be season ticket holders. But I guarantee those same ticket holders will be unloading tickets at face value or less if we trot out anything other than Kirk or a “Top 3” option at QB game 1. 

Anything short of that will absolutely signal to the fan base that the tank is on and the Vikings have no interest in competing in 2024. 
Well he had a 9-8 season with the colts just this past year so I think with the receiving weapons that the Vikings have it would not be a stretch at all. It's not just about 24, but what they can build for future seasons and competing at an upper level. 

@"CFIAvike" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

Well he had a 9-8 season with the colts just this past year so I think with the receiving weapons that the Vikings have it would not be a stretch at all. It's not just about 24, but what they can build for future seasons and competing at an upper level. 
If you think fans are gonna be hyped for Minshew or Tannehill you’re out of your mind. Literally not one fan base in the NFL would be excited going into the season with either of them as their signal caller…NOT…..ONE. 

Do you know why? Because neither of them are remotely talented enough to give anyone a rational hope of competing for a Super Bowl. They exemplify a wasted season because at their absolute BEST they’re just good enough to keep us from a draft pick that could actually get us a real QBOTF

The only way a ”transition QB” works is if you’re DAMN sure the guy you got behind them is gonna be the future face of the franchise. The Vikings can’t afford to let Cousins walk and just pray one of the lower tier QBs magically pans out. 

or…. again…. completely blow it up and start from scratch. Leave no doubt in the fans minds that 24 will be a terrible year. But by your metrics, that won’t matter because there’s still a waiting list for season tickets

@"kmillard" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"CFIAvike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

If you think fans are gonna be hyped for Minshew or Tannehill you’re out of your mind. Literally not one fan base in the NFL would be excited going into the season with either of them as their signal caller…NOT…..ONE. 

Do you know why? Because neither of them are remotely talented enough to give anyone a rational hope of competing for a Super Bowl. They exemplify a wasted season because at their absolute BEST they’re just good enough to keep us from a draft pick that could actually get us a real QBOTF

The only way a ”transition QB” works is if you’re DAMN sure the guy you got behind them is gonna be the future face of the franchise. The Vikings can’t afford to let Cousins walk and just pray one of the lower tier QBs magically pans out. 

or…. again…. completely blow it up and start from scratch. Leave no doubt in the fans minds that 24 will be a terrible year. But by your metrics, that won’t matter because there’s still a waiting list for season tickets
So is it about selling tickets or not?  Because if they blow it up,  by your metric nobody will be buying tickets then either.  People showed up for Dobbs and Mullins down the stretch, I saw very little tickets on sale in our regional market place that has a lot of tickets for sale early in the year when season tickets holders sell their unwanted games.  If they showed up for Dobbs and Mullins,  it's not a concern for Minshew or several other bridge options.  The fans come to see the show,  not one actor.

I'm not sure if the real question is will they sell tix or not.

I think the question is more of who the hell is going to get excited about a team qb'd by a gordon minshew or a washed-up Wilson?

Not me - I went to maybe 1 home game after Cousins left the building. That kind of fan malaise will eventually have an impact.