Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Teams Remain
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Still Hurtn" said:
After 50 years of coming up short I would be ok the Viking pushing some chips to the center of the table to move up for a QB that they had conviction over. Also letting that QB sit for 1 year. Waiting till 11 and holding your nose to pick who is left over seems dumb.. imo

Who's going to trade them a top 3? 

Chicago, Commanders or Patriots?

My point being, it doesnt matter if they have conviction, you gotta have a willing partner and I dont see it. 

Any QB after the top 3 is most likely a big step down.

I guess we'll see after the personal work outs, combine, Sr bowl etc. just how big that gap is. 

I agree. It doesn't seem very likely. But really all that has to happen is the Bears deciding to stay with Fields and taking MHJ with one of the first three picks. I could see the Pats leap-frogging the Commies to get Caleb. This pushes QB3 to #4, which should be readily available to the highest bidder. There's also a chance that one of the Commies or Patriots take a free agent, both teams having been burned by their last 1st round QBOTF. A very slight chance IMO, but it's there. 
Lets see what happens with their OC hire...That could be a BIG TELL as to what they might do @ QB. 
They hired Waldron instead of Kingsbury, which is proof of nothing, but it probably does move the needle back toward Fields a little. Granted, I think it's still pointing heavily in Caleb's favor. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

Who are the real Vikings???

The team that had 13 wins in spite of a 31st ranked D?
Or the team picking #11 in the draft, that lost their top QB, their top WR and was pretty decimated by injuries above and beyond that the last 1/2 of the season?

I also think they can clear a bunch of cap quickly and easily. 

The rest aint so easy like @ QB. 
or is it the team that started 1-6 with their top QB and top WR in place?  we know this team isnt shit,  but we also know that there are a fair number of holes to fill, as well as new contracts both now and in coming seasons that will make it harder to bring in quality talent down the road in themselves without pushing current player deals into those years. yes they can clear cap,  but those moves dont come in a vacuum,  they will have consequences either in terms of creating more holes,  or by adding dead cap to unplayed years which further handcuffs future moves,  like we are facing right now with about 40 million or so from Hunter and  Cousins previous contracts.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"Still Hurtn" said:
After 50 years of coming up short I would be ok the Viking pushing some chips to the center of the table to move up for a QB that they had conviction over. Also letting that QB sit for 1 year. Waiting till 11 and holding your nose to pick who is left over seems dumb.. imo

I don't disagree with this but given the amount of draft needs that we have, I'm reluctant to trade away draft picks. Tough decision for sure & I'm glad that I don't have to make it. It's going to be a make or break offseason for KAM.
Personally, If we don't resign Kirko, I don't see us as a playoff contender next season. I'd rather hang onto those [picks.
This is the mindset I think the vikings brass is stuck with. With all the record picks we have had over the years what has that done to the roster?
Isnt it ironic that today we say we have many holes but if you look back the last 6 or so years we pretty much won the draft volume lottery every year.
My point being we need impact players and sometimes less is more. You cant justify missing out on an impct player let alone a good QB because you were worried about missing on volume or a few mediocre players and saved a draft pick.

one thing about it, on the bright side,.... as bad as KAM has done the first 2 years,  its made it a lot easier for his next round of picks to find a home on the very shallow roster!  

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"mblack" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"Still Hurtn" said:

I don't disagree with this but given the amount of draft needs that we have, I'm reluctant to trade away draft picks. Tough decision for sure & I'm glad that I don't have to make it. It's going to be a make or break offseason for KAM.
Personally, If we don't resign Kirko, I don't see us as a playoff contender next season. I'd rather hang onto those [picks.
This is the mindset I think the vikings brass is stuck with. With all the record picks we have had over the years what has that done to the roster?
Isnt it ironic that today we say we have many holes but if you look back the last 6 or so years we pretty much won the draft volume lottery every year.
My point being we need impact players and sometimes less is more. You cant justify missing out on an impct player let alone a good QB because you were worried about missing on volume or a few mediocre players and saved a draft pick.

one thing about it, on the bright side,.... as bad as KAM has done the first 2 years,  its made it a lot easier for his next round of picks to find a home on the very shallow roster!  
I agree. However i am very worried about what players we pick

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"Still Hurtn" said:

Who's going to trade them a top 3? 

Chicago, Commanders or Patriots?

My point being, it doesnt matter if they have conviction, you gotta have a willing partner and I dont see it. 

Any QB after the top 3 is most likely a big step down.

I guess we'll see after the personal work outs, combine, Sr bowl etc. just how big that gap is. 

I agree. It doesn't seem very likely. But really all that has to happen is the Bears deciding to stay with Fields and taking MHJ with one of the first three picks. I could see the Pats leap-frogging the Commies to get Caleb. This pushes QB3 to #4, which should be readily available to the highest bidder. There's also a chance that one of the Commies or Patriots take a free agent, both teams having been burned by their last 1st round QBOTF. A very slight chance IMO, but it's there. 
Lets see what happens with their OC hire...That could be a BIG TELL as to what they might do @ QB. 
They hired Waldron instead of Kingsbury, which is proof of nothing, but it probably does move the needle back toward Fields a little. Granted, I think it's still pointing heavily in Caleb's favor. 
I had not heard that until now. It'll be interesting to see what Poles does. I hope they F it up. MHJ would be a pita to play twice a year, thats for sure. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Who are the real Vikings???

The team that had 13 wins in spite of a 31st ranked D?
Or the team picking #11 in the draft, that lost their top QB, their top WR and was pretty decimated by injuries above and beyond that the last 1/2 of the season?

I also think they can clear a bunch of cap quickly and easily. 

The rest aint so easy like @ QB. 
or is it the team that started 1-6 with their top QB and top WR in place?  we know this team isnt shit,  but we also know that there are a fair number of holes to fill, as well as new contracts both now and in coming seasons that will make it harder to bring in quality talent down the road in themselves without pushing current player deals into those years. yes they can clear cap,  but those moves dont come in a vacuum,  they will have consequences either in terms of creating more holes,  or by adding dead cap to unplayed years which further handcuffs future moves,  like we are facing right now with about 40 million or so from Hunter and  Cousins previous contracts.
All we gotta do is look to the Chiefs as to how to build a winning roster with a top QB. 

Oh, and draft the next Mahomes too  =)

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
@"minny65" said:
If you keep doing what you have been doing, you will get the same result.  Another contract for a 36 yr old injured QB sounds exciting doesn't it?  Then when he goes down or doesn't play at 90% who do we blame?  The defense, the coach, bad luck, etc.  Rinse and repeat.  

Hey, at least we still have all our draft picks Smile
nothing in the 3rd and only two in the top 100. That is going to hurt this year.
Lol meanwhile Detroit has four in the top 100, Green Bay has 5, and Chicago has 3 (including #1 overall and #9 overall). 

This is what good teams do who aren't handcuffed by bullshit competitive mandates by ownership. The rest of the teams in the division are playing chess while the Vikings are playing checkers 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"minny65" said:
If you keep doing what you have been doing, you will get the same result.  Another contract for a 36 yr old injured QB sounds exciting doesn't it?  Then when he goes down or doesn't play at 90% who do we blame?  The defense, the coach, bad luck, etc.  Rinse and repeat.  

nothing in the 3rd and only two in the top 100. That is going to hurt this year.
Lol meanwhile Detroit has four in the top 100, Green Bay has 5, and Chicago has 3 (including #1 overall and #9 overall). 

This is what good teams do who aren't handcuffed by bullshit competitive mandates by ownership. The rest of the teams in the division are playing chess while the Vikings are playing checkers 
2024:
Packers: 1,2,2,3,3,4,6,7
Vikings: 1,2,4,4,5,5,6,6,7
I am sure we agree even in the upcoming draft the Packers are better positioned to move up and down the board than us. Lets not even mention the Bears because it gets worse for us.

I even remember a time when we used to double dip in the first round and draft multiple players. I have no idea what happened with those picks or what we have to show.

Quote: @"mblack" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"kmillard" said:
@"minny65" said:

2024:
Packers: 1,2,2,3,3,4,6,7
Vikings: 1,2,4,4,5,5,6,6,7
I am sure we agree even in the upcoming draft the Packers are better positioned to move up and down the board than us. Lets not even mention the Bears because it gets worse for us.
The Wilfs just have no idea wtf they are doing. That's the bottom line and we are all stuck with it until further notice. They hired a green "yes" man to run the team who was just happy to be there, checked a progressive box for them, and would deal with the unrealistic mandates of ownership. That's where this "competitive rebuild" bullshit comes from. Memo to Ziggy and Lil' Marky, you dont know shit about football so hire football people to make football decisions and get the fuck out of the way. Stick with real estate and supporting the organization strictly on a financial basis.