Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Running Game or Lack There Of
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
I would not be surprised to see the Vikings look at drafting a running back early. You take Blake Corum or someone like that in the second and I'm feeling much better about our run game next season 
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I would not be surprised to see the Vikings look at drafting a running back early. You take Blake Corum or someone like that in the second and I'm feeling much better about our run game next season 
I think I'd rather have RB Donovan Edwards in purple.....

Exactly what I was thinking reading this thread

@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I'd be shocked if "The Don" declared after this past season.  I also don't know if he has any feel or vision. Granted, he bounces some runs for big gains, but 8 out of 10 times he runs into the back end of pile of humanity. He definitely needs to get a year to prove he can be a feature back.

If he came out this year he probably gets a 4th rd. grade based on his lack of production.
One thing is for, I'd love to see the Vikings pull a Landon Dickerson with Zak Zinter, stash him on IR for the year, and have him starting for us in 2025. Shame he got hurt. Absolute stud 
I don't think they'll have IR him. I don't think he suffered ligament damage. From what I've heard, he could be good to go early next season. Unfortunately, I don't see him falling to us if we address D-line, QB in the first 2 rds. 

Maybe we can steal Runyan from GB in FA...Could be a cheap upgrade.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I'd be shocked if "The Don" declared after this past season.  I also don't know if he has any feel or vision. Granted, he bounces some runs for big gains, but 8 out of 10 times he runs into the back end of pile of humanity. He definitely needs to get a year to prove he can be a feature back.

If he came out this year he probably gets a 4th rd. grade based on his lack of production.
One thing is for, I'd love to see the Vikings pull a Landon Dickerson with Zak Zinter, stash him on IR for the year, and have him starting for us in 2025. Shame he got hurt. Absolute stud 
I don't think they'll have IR him. I don't think he suffered ligament damage. From what I've heard, he could be good to go early next season. Unfortunately, I don't see him falling to us if we address D-line, QB in the first 2 rds. 

Maybe we can steal Runyan from GB in FA...Could be a cheap upgrade.
If none of the quarterbacks we like are there, or the value isn't there, I could see us trading down amd picking up some extra capital. If we do that maybe we can land him. I liked him a lot this last season 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
One thing nobody has mentioned is Duane McBride, our 7th round pick who is sitting on the PS (and signed a Reserve/Futures contract 3 days ago).  I really liked him after the draft.  Put up huge numbers at UAB.  Never heard a scouting report in Training Camp, and he didn't get a sniff of playing time.  What's up with McBride?
IIRC he got hurt in training camp.  They also got Gaskin on a futures contract if I read correctly. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
One thing nobody has mentioned is Duane McBride, our 7th round pick who is sitting on the PS (and signed a Reserve/Futures contract 3 days ago).  I really liked him after the draft.  Put up huge numbers at UAB.  Never heard a scouting report in Training Camp, and he didn't get a sniff of playing time.  What's up with McBride?
IIRC he got hurt in training camp.  They also got Gaskin on a futures contract if I read correctly. 
McBride just looked slow in preseason. Lacked burst. I'm not sure he's anybody you count on for next season..I'd be surprised if it's not Chandler as the starter next year with a rookie as the primary backup 

I would not mind Mattison back, but not as RB1. 

That IOL still needs improvement. Risner shored-up the pass blocking, but did not upgrade us at running the ball. 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
At UAB he was never used in the passing game, so I'm sure he's got a lot to learn in both routes and pass pro. And we know how this coach feels about backs who can block.

Also, if you've ever heard him speak, he sounds a bit like Bubba from Forrest Gump, so he might be a little slow in learning the playbook. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"Mattyman" said:
Cook scored long TD's in 5 games last year, the Vikings went on to win  all those games.

This year Mattison had 0 TD's.

It showed.
I'd be shocked if there was another player in the league with as many carries as him but no rushing TDs.
not making excuses for Mattison... but I would be shocked if there was a more inept team at run blocking in short yardage situations than the Vikings this year.  the only thing sadder than that was our coach would keep trying to run behind those 3 when  they needed to move the chains or score.  absolutely pathetic.
There's no doubt the Vikings need to improve the short-yardage packages, finishing in the middle of the pack in short yardage situations. But what's interesting is when Cousins went down mid-season the Vikings ranked 1st in the NFL in converting 3rd or 4th and short. 

Many of those were Cousins sneaks, but I also think without Cousins, defenses were no longer worried about a potential pass and sold out to stop the run. 

Improve the O-line and Grandma Moses could gain positive yardage! In short yardage situations this line was pushed backwards way too often. The line was crafted to be light and fast for an outside zone running scheme. Don't know the stats on negative yardage runs the last couple years, but had to be worst than most teams.
I'm opposed to spending cap space or draft capitol on the position.
I'm fine with Chandler and Akers if he recovers from his injury.
Spend the capitol on the line; something that will help the run and the pass.
BTW, there are big strong lineman who are fast and can block in a zone running scheme. Other teams can find them. So should the Vikings.

They just need to find another David Dixon and Randall McDaniel for both guard spots and run with the backs they have now.