Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Running Game or Lack There Of
The running game was clearly a problem last season. Moving on from Dalvin Cook was the right call, but Mattison was not effective as a starter, the OL was riddled with injuries, and running in the red zone felt like a waste of downs. In year where there was not stability at QB, the team could not rely on the running game to provide stability on offense and keep the defense off the field. Ty Chandler did take over as the starting back by the end of the year and while, he showed some explosiveness, I like him better as a number 2 back than as a starter.

With that said. How do you think the Vikings should go about improving the running game? Are there any backs that you want to target in the draft? Can the run blocking issues be fixed or was the running game just sabotaged by injuries?

I would not be surprised to see the Vikings look at drafting a running back early. You take Blake Corum or someone like that in the second and I'm feeling much better about our run game next season 

I think our C, RG, and to a lesser degree RT are suspect. Until these guys prove they are above average in both pass pro and getting to second level in the run game, I don't think we can judge how good Chandler is. That said, we still need another back, and maybe a true FB. I think both Mattison and Hamm are past their due date.

before we worry about messing with RBs,  we need to fix the OL, spending draft picks on a player with about a 3 year career ahead of guys that can play for a decade is putting the cart in front of the horse.  Prioritizing the IOL will help both the run and pass game,  if the blocks arent made and the hole isnt there,  it doesnt matter who the RB is.  We need to get some big nasty athletic guys in the middle,  this undersized shit is just not working in critical times.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
before we worry about messing with RBs,  we need to fix the OL, spending draft picks on a player with about a 3 year career ahead of guys that can play for a decade is putting the cart in front of the horse.  Prioritizing the IOL will help both the run and pass game,  if the blocks arent made and the hole isnt there,  it doesnt matter who the RB is.  We need to get some big nasty athletic guys in the middle,  this undersized shit is just not working in critical times.
Depending on how the board shakes out for us, taking the Lathem kid from Bama and kicking him inside to guard might not be the worst idea. We definitely need a more physical presence at center, which we all know already. Risner is a free agent. Offensive line certainly on the list of things that needs upgrading. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
I would not be surprised to see the Vikings look at drafting a running back early. You take Blake Corum or someone like that in the second and I'm feeling much better about our run game next season 
I think I'd rather have RB Donovan Edwards in purple.....

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
I think I'd rather have RB Donovan Edwards in purple.....

I'd be good with that. I also really like the Shipley kid from Clemson. McCaffrey light, probably not a better pass catching/route running back in this class 

Cook scored long TD's in 5 games last year, the Vikings went on to win  all those games.

This year Mattison had 0 TD's.

It showed.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
Cook scored long TD's in 5 games last year, the Vikings went on to win  all those games.

This year Mattison had 0 TD's.

It showed.
I'd be shocked if there was another player in the league with as many carries as him but no rushing TDs.