Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So it seems the board is bittersweet about this win?
Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
The win was great and a fun game to watch. Dobbs, KOC and young receivers like Powell deserve all the kudos they're getting. Vikings now control their playoff destiny. 

But for me, I'd be a helluva lot happier if I thought it were sustainable. If Kirk were still playing, we'd know that JJ is soon due to join Addison for a ridiculously dangerous WR duo. Davenport should soon join an improving defense. I'd love to take THAT team to the playoffs. That team could make some noise. 

If Hall were playing, we'd at least be excited about watching what is essentially an audition for QBOTF. 

But it's Dobbs. A guy on his 9th gig in 7 years. There's a reason for that. Look, I'm relentlessly optimistic, but it's pretty hard to believe he can be consistent enough to keep winning. 
The 9th gig in seven years has some context, he was odd man out with some high profile/anointed son QB's ahead of him.  Roethlisberger/Rudolph, Minshew/Lawrence,
Brissett,Watson, Tannehill/Willis.  Cards traded for him, plucked off of Detroit's PS and now he's here.  Could be he has gotten some great experience on other teams payroll, and he's just traveling the road lest traveled.  Not saying he is the QBOTF, but lets not just define him by how he got here without the story behind it.  The QB room has more potential talent now than before he got here and he had a great result in his first game.
Whats bittersweet is watching them win and every victory brings us closer to that 14th to 19th draft slot.  

Like me, I know you've been around long enough to have seen several dozen backup QBs come in and play surprisingly well over the last couple decades. Most of them against us!!  Like a lot of those QBs, I suspect most of Dobbs success came from the Falcons defense not having film of him running KOC's offense. Situational stuff, tendencies, etc. So while I believe there is a chance we found a guy who might just be a great fit for this offense, I need to see more. A lot more. 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"medaille" said:
Bittersweet is probably a pretty
accurate term.  The game was a shit show
that we came out on top of.  Tons of
injuries to key players.  Backup QBs for both
teams.  Sloppy offensive plays.  Basically, we won because they didn’t contain
Dobbs from scrambling.  It was a fun game
to watch, and glad we got the win, but a miracle win against a backup QB on a
mediocre team doesn’t move the meter that much. 
I love our coaching staff, but we’re still going to play every game with
a backup caliber QB and/or a rookie 5th round QB, and while we
should get better as time goes on, we’re going to need to be better than that, and also defenses are going to adjust and get tougher.
Agree

In addition, I really wanted to see more of Hall.  Hopefully, when Hall gets through the protocol we swing right back to him even if Dobbs wins next week.  
If Dobbs is 2-0 and can pretty much guarantee the team won't go back to Hall right away. Hall is the guy they were forced to start because we had no one else. Dobbs is the guy they went out and traded for who played good enough to win this week. Most fans are assuming Dobbs was brought in to be the backup, but I'm not sure the coaches see it that way at all. Time will tell. Just because we as fans want to know more about Hall, doesn't mean the coaches do. They get to see him every day in practice so I trust whoever they decide to roll with.
I feel like the words you use could be
switched around and be just as applicable.  Hall is the guy they went out of their way to
draft and Dobbs was the best QB available in the bargain bin before the trade
deadline who they only played because he was the only QB on the roster after Hall
got injured.  I think the only thing you
can say with confidence is that they had both guys on the roster and chose the
rookie Hall to start over Dobbs who’s been on the team for 15 minutes.

Totally agree that they’ll be able to see each one much more
than we can and they’ll make the right choice, even if it means going back to
Hall after Dobbs gets two wins or staying with Dobbs after he struggles.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"medaille" said:
should get better as time goes on, we’re going to need to be better than that, and also defenses are going to adjust and get tougher.
Agree

In addition, I really wanted to see more of Hall.  Hopefully, when Hall gets through the protocol we swing right back to him even if Dobbs wins next week.  
@"minny65" said:
@"medaille" said:
Agree

If Dobbs is 2-0 and can pretty much guarantee the team won't go back to Hall right away. Hall is the guy they were forced to start because we had no one else. Dobbs is the guy they went out and traded for who played good enough to win this week. Most fans are assuming Dobbs was brought in to be the backup, but I'm not sure the coaches see it that way at all. Time will tell. Just because we as fans want to know more about Hall, doesn't mean the coaches do. They get to see him every day in practice so I trust whoever they decide to roll with.
Deja vu. Kinda reminds me of '98. Always felt we should've gone back to Brad Johnson when he returned to health. But how do you take a guy like Cunningham out when he was playing MVP ball? You can't. But I think we might have a ring if we put Brad back in.

No, I'm not comparing Hall to Johnson or Dobbs to Cunningham. Just the situation. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"medaille" said:
Agree

@"minny65" said:
@"medaille" said:
Agree

Deja vu. Kinda reminds me of '98. Always felt we should've gone back to Brad Johnson when he returned to health. But how do you take a guy like Cunningham out when he was playing MVP ball? You can't. But I think we might have a ring if we put Brad back in.

No, I'm not comparing Hall to Johnson or Dobbs to Cunningham. Just the situation. 
Yes, the guy the knows the offense (not saying Hall has full command, but at least he should have a grasp of it) and has run it for months, or the QB the coach has to interpret the plays and the reads before the earpiece shuts off.  

McVay did it for Goff, Billick did it for Cunningham, but eventually teams figure out that the QB can't read the D and wait until the earpiece shuts off before showing.

Interesting sidebar, one of my boys played on a Jr Tackle team that was constantly #2.  There was one team that was constantly better than the rest.  Their coach was the president of the league which seemed a bit fishy and they paid their assistant coaches who didn't have kids on the team. But their offense had a man among boys, but no matter how you played them, they always seemed to be a step ahead.

Until the championship the 8th grade year. They already had trophies made and shirts saying undefeated (they hadn't lost in 4 years of Jr. Tackle).  But our coaches figured out their secret.  Their offense wouldn't call a play until the D was set and showed their hand.  Then they called it at the line and ran a play away from the strength.  So in the championship, our D wouldn't get set.  They milled around and it threw that offense into confusion.  They had multiple delay of game penalties and their coaches couldn't really didn't know how to call the game. We blew them out.

So like with Cunningham, Dobbs, Goff, you can mask that deficiency for a while,  but there are simply remedies that can blow up the game plan.

If Cousins was coming back in a few weeks or if we had won with Hall playing the entire game, I would be a lot more fired up right now, but I don't see what we did Sunday being sustainable, it was a crazy, erratic game, that if it weren't for a few late turnovers and a heroic 4th down conversion we would have been on the losing end.  I love what Dobbs did, it is a great story, but he has been in the league long enough that I do not think he is suddenly going to turn into a Kurt Warner movie. I would be more optimistic with Hall starting. 

The NFL always has a few surprises up its sleeves. Like I said, we've gotten the shitty end of the stick more often than most teams, but the KOC/KAM era has certainly been entertaining....that can't be denied. And will that stick get shitty again? Probably, yeah. Its what always happens in Vikingland at some point, especially with injuries continuing to pile up. But I personally enjoyed the hell out of that last drive anyway (only part of the game I've seen live). 

Who knows what'll happen Sunday with Mr. Dobbs.....if the script is to be believed, this is where he looks horrible and we as fans once again have hopes dashed. But the KOC era certainly hasn't always stayed to historical Vikings script. We'll find out.

The NFL season is a beautiful mystery... :p

The possibility (however small or large) remains that Hall could get Wally Pipp'd.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
The possibility (however small or large) remains that Hall could get Wally Pipp'd.

That's some vintage insight!

I thought it was a sweet game and I’m excited to see where the season goes! I think anyone expecting some big leap from Game 1 to 2 from Dobbs is being unrealistic. It’s very likely that what we saw on Sunday is about how he’ll play the rest of the season. And I think that might be good enough to rip some more wins.
I believe his play will improve from what we witnessed. 
He took snaps from a center he never took snaps from before. Threw to WRs he hadn't thrown to (routes, depths, speed), limited knowledge of plays, coach discussing plays before the mic cut off, how the o-line blocks, going over his cadence with the offense before rushing out there, and so on.

Also what has not been mentioned but impressive, was the management of the final 2 minute drive that ended with a TD. No drama on killing the clock or wasting away precious seconds.

Looking at the upcoming schedule, a few more victories is more than likely.

Saints 5-4 (Home)

Broncos 3-5

Bears 2-7 (Home)

Bye

Raiders 4-5

Bengals 5-3

Lions 6-2 (Home)

Packers 3-5 (Home)

Lions 6-2

Bengals will be tough in Cincy, and the Lions (split?) Other than that, the Vikings may go on a quite a run, whether it's Dobbs, Hall, or Mullens.