Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So it seems the board is bittersweet about this win?
I thought I'd see a little more excitement. It seems there's a general unease that Dobbs is the one to lead the team to a win and not Jaren Hall. A sense that this was incredibly fluky, many want to see Jaren Hall in there for a full assessment and that the wheels are going to fall off of Dobbs with more game reps and exposure. I mean those are all legitimate concerns and opinions for sure, but with all the injuries and such, I think this season is really week to week. I mean, next week is going to be worse injury-wise probably than last Sunday. The Vikings are 5-4, winners of 4 straight. Impressive regardless. The Vikings put on a coaching clinic Sunday. Its obvious they are establishing a winning 'culture', where you are successful despite challenges, injuries and players moving on. 

I know everything could turn to shit Sunday....I get it, I'm a Vikings fan. I guess I'm just surprised at the mostly subdued aspect of the win/game by many. Just an observation.

The win was great and a fun game to watch. Dobbs, KOC and young receivers like Powell deserve all the kudos they're getting. Vikings now control their playoff destiny. 

But for me, I'd be a helluva lot happier if I thought it were sustainable. If Kirk were still playing, we'd know that JJ is soon due to join Addison for a ridiculously dangerous WR duo. Davenport should soon join an improving defense. I'd love to take THAT team to the playoffs. That team could make some noise. 

If Hall were playing, we'd at least be excited about watching what is essentially an audition for QBOTF. 

But it's Dobbs. A guy on his 9th gig in 7 years. There's a reason for that. Look, I'm relentlessly optimistic, but it's pretty hard to believe he can be consistent enough to keep winning. 

There are just some fans that are waiting for the other shoe to drop, that's conditioning. And there are some that only post when they are losing or want to gloat about it. It was an ugly, intense game that was wild and fun at the same time. I enjoyed it and watched it again last night 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
https://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL/status...1218940293
I'm sure Josh is just happy that he no longer has to pay for his meals at the team facility. 

I'm happy about it, there's just a very...week to week, kind of "temporary" quality that's returned after feeling like we were getting rolling.  I know that's anti-logical, because we have just gotten 4 straight wins, but having Kirk as the central figure in the offense while the team was gelling led to a certain comfort (aside from his hate club, of course).

As the team looked more consistent, he was right atop the QB rankings, wins started coming, and even survived JJ's exit because the blocking and the defense were stepping up, Addison was emerging, etc.

Then, Kirk got hurt. OK, umm...next man up...Hall has been with us all year, Kirk's got his back, KOC has been raising him, all good, we can ride with...

...DAMMIT!

Hey, Dobbs did a heroic job and stands to look better with actual practices and familiarization...but this season has been emotionall jarring, even for the Purple People that are used to a certain amount of drama/abuse...!

I thought it was a sweet game and I’m excited to see where the season goes! I think anyone expecting some big leap from Game 1 to 2 from Dobbs is being unrealistic. It’s very likely that what we saw on Sunday is about how he’ll play the rest of the season. And I think that might be good enough to rip some more wins.

Sure, it’d be more excited if Hall was in there doing this since his perceived ceiling is higher, but I think we can learn a lot from Dobbs’ starts too.

He’s never gonna be Kirk but if Dobbs and Hall can be league average I think it makes the looming decision on Kirk a lot simpler. It’s very hard to justify a huge contract for top ~7 QB play when you are getting serviceable QB play for what amounts to about free.

So to me while Dobbs probably isn’t THE guy long term, his play will impact the QB decision regardless, even if he’s only a Viking for half a season. JMO

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I'm sure Josh is just happy that he no longer has to pay for his meals at the team facility. 
He's also just 28 years old. I'm sure he'd love to have a chance to be the guy somewhere. Odds are long that will be the case, he's obviously bounced around. I'm just taking it week to week. It'll be interesting to see where KOC goes with this: will he give Dobbs time only until Hall heals from his concussion or will he extend Dobb's time if he plays decently?

It was fun to watch. It showed that coaching is improving. The defense has become an asset. Was nice to win a game where historically we have been on the other end of it. But, it was backyard football. Well, backyard QB play. That is no knock on Dobbs. Just the opposite. He willed the team to a win without knowing the offense, the players, the plays. I feel that Hall has more upside. At least, I hope that he does. What would suck is to lose Cousins for the season and NOT find out if Hall has what it takes to be a starter, or at least a high quality backup.
I hope that Hall gets another chance to play. If he were to show enough that next year we don't have to invest in a first round QB, that would take some of the sting off of Kirks injury. There is no need to rush Hall back. Let him heal up, but then put him out there. If he doesn't show anything. Then we lock Dobbs up as a backup and move forward.

After starting out the season at a very putrid 0-3 WITH Cousins as
the QB, right now it just seems like we're playing with House money.  No
way did I expect a win with Hall at QB in Atlanta, and no frickin' way
did I expect anything resembling a victory when Dobbs had to come in. 
My God, he fumbled and bumbled all over the place after being forced in
(as you'd expect from a new QB without any team reps). 
Then you
witnessed the team coming together.  The defense did enough to keep it
close, and the OL (without Darrisaw, of course) did enough to allow some
nice throws to Hock, Addison, Osborne, Powell, and Jackson (?).  Now you throw
in Dobbs playing his heart out running down field, how can't all Viking
fans love it?  It was just such an unlikely outcome, but the Vikes did
it - what a great story!I really don't care who our QB is now that Kirk is done.  Yes,
Dobbs could flop bigtime on Sunday (he might), but I don't think he
will. If KOC gives the nod to Hall or Dobbs the rest of the way, I trust and respect his
decision. 
Now Akers is out, but I think the next guy up will play hard too.  I'm proud of the way this team has rallied; especially after the sloppy, crappy, embarrassing start of the season.SKOL!