Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe these are the "real fans" I hear so much about.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?
Not at all. Hate is alive and well in America. What was mildly surprising to me was to find out that this sort of thing (and apparently worse) happens on a regular basis.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?
Not at all. Hate is alive and well in America. What was mildly surprising to me was to find out that this sort of thing (and apparently worse) happens on a regular basis.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?
Definitely not surprised. What's as bad or worse is online misogyny. The shit that some of these dudes say to women is unreal. Threatening to kill and rape them.....over a video game or a sports take. So many sad, stupid and scared boys/men out there, just miserably bitter and want to burn it all down.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?
Definitely not surprised. What's as bad or worse is online misogyny. The shit that some of these dudes say to women is unreal. Threatening to kill and rape them.....over a video game or a sports take. So many sad, stupid and scared boys/men out there, just miserably bitter and want to burn it all down.

Is it really SO many or just a very vocal minority.  I will say that regardless the number,  its still TO many.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?

Is it really SO many or just a very vocal minority.  I will say that regardless the number,  its still TO many.
I think you'd be surprised. Ask any younger girl gamer that plays games live what she sees in her comment streams. Or any women meteorologist what she sees in her company Twitter feed. Same with almost any on-air female talent. Its more than a vocal minority. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?

I think you'd be surprised. Ask any younger girl gamer that plays games live what she sees in her comment streams. Or any women meteorologist what she sees in her company Twitter feed. Same with almost any on-air female talent. Its more than a vocal minority. 
I still have to think we are talking about a small minority here,  how many adult males play live video games, or even actively use Twitter?  I know it seems like a lot,  and maybe I'm wrong,  but I just think in the grand scheme we aren't talking about a very large % of the population. 

On the flip side,   since a lot of those weather women dress provocatively with the intent of drawing views,   is it shocking that the pervs are drawn to them?  I am not saying they deserve the comments,  but I can see why they would be targeted.   Kinda have similar thoughts with female gamers,   not because of dress,  but because the gamer crowd usually struck me a more of a thing for introverted males that likely spend more time than most in a fantasy world,  and in both instances they feed off each other. 

Either way,  somebody needs to slap the shit out of some fuckers.  That's what I always liked about how we used to do the meet and greets ar camp,  tailgates,  etc,  its a lot easier to treat online people as people when you've meet them in person,  broke bread ( and ankles) its what makes this place more than just an internet forum,  its more of a true community.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?

I still have to think we are talking about a small minority here,  how many adult males play live video games, or even actively use Twitter?  I know it seems like a lot,  and maybe I'm wrong,  but I just think in the grand scheme we aren't talking about a very large % of the population. 

On the flip side,   since a lot of those weather women dress provocatively with the intent of drawing views,   is it shocking that the pervs are drawn to them?  I am not saying they deserve the comments,  but I can see why they would be targeted.   Kinda have similar thoughts with female gamers,   not because of dress,  but because the gamer crowd usually struck me a more of a thing for introverted males that likely spend more time than most in a fantasy world,  and in both instances they feed off each other. 

Either way,  somebody needs to slap the shit out of some fuckers.  That's what I always liked about how we used to do the meet and greets ar camp,  tailgates,  etc,  its a lot easier to treat online people as people when you've meet them in person,  broke bread ( and ankles) its what makes this place more than just an internet forum,  its more of a true community.
Dude, lots of adult men are on Twitter and play video games, lol. 

"In 2021, it was reported that the age distribution of U.S. gamers were 20% under the 18 years old, 38% were in between 18 and 34 years old, 14% were in between 35 and 44 years old, 12% were in between 45 and 54 years old, 9% were in between 55 and 64 years old, and 7% were 65 years old or over."

From 2023 about Twitter: "The platform tends to sway male, with 56.4% of users identifying as such. It's most popular with people between the ages of 25 and 34 years old, and least popular with teens."

For whatever reason, you want to believe it doesn't happen much online (misogyny).....its prolific. You sound VERY out of touch.

@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Show of hands;

Anyone surprised?

The misogyny is rampant. In addition to what you listed, women that work in sports receive a whole lot of misogynistic comments. There is a view that women should only be allowed in certain areas. And then when they excel, the hatred and ugliness is really brutal. Some very high quality female reporters, commentators and others have had their Twitter feeds just blasted by some of the most grotesque and vile things. Things that could get you on an FBI watch list in a hurry. But they are just supposed to expect it and take it right? I remember so much of the savagery that Sam Ponder has gone through. And it should not be if that was your daughter, sister, wife, etc. It should be don't be a shithead.