Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: So why did we all cut the cable cord again?
Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@HappyViking said:
@AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:
Cutting the cord isn't all about streaming.  Sure I use streaming services, and it's nice none of them lock you into contracts so you can drop and add anytime you want.I mainly cut the cord so I can get more OTA free local channel programming.  I added two antennas to my rooftop and I now get over 30 channels of "free" TV.  I also have a Tablo device that hooks up to my antenna as my over the air DVR.I plugged my antenna coax cable into the splitter I had already in place from my prior satellite connection, and now I get crystal clear free TV throughout my house - it's sweet!

There was a website that let you put in your GPS coordinates to see what type of OTA you might get.  I needed a 2000' antenna to expect to get coverage 80% of the time. 

We did not go forward with the permitting process. 
This is a good one to help you know about antenna signal strength you'd expect by entering in your zip code: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

For the best prediction on tv reception, use your exact address!  If I use my zip code, dtvmaps puts my location 25 miles closer to the towers but below a hill which means poor predicted reception.  At my actual location, I have excellent reception and high signal strength with just a bare coax wire, even better with an antenna!

Hey, it says I'd get weak coverage of the Nashville stations.  Does anyone else ever get "weak" channels to actually come through?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@IDVikingfan said:
@HappyViking said:
@AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:
Cutting the cord isn't all about streaming.  Sure I use streaming services, and it's nice none of them lock you into contracts so you can drop and add anytime you want.I mainly cut the cord so I can get more OTA free local channel programming.  I added two antennas to my rooftop and I now get over 30 channels of "free" TV.  I also have a Tablo device that hooks up to my antenna as my over the air DVR.I plugged my antenna coax cable into the splitter I had already in place from my prior satellite connection, and now I get crystal clear free TV throughout my house - it's sweet!

There was a website that let you put in your GPS coordinates to see what type of OTA you might get.  I needed a 2000' antenna to expect to get coverage 80% of the time. 

This is a good one to help you know about antenna signal strength you'd expect by entering in your zip code: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

For the best prediction on tv reception, use your exact address!  If I use my zip code, dtvmaps puts my location 25 miles closer to the towers but below a hill which means poor predicted reception.  At my actual location, I have excellent reception and high signal strength with just a bare coax wire, even better with an antenna!

Hey, it says I'd get weak coverage of the Nashville stations.  Does anyone else ever get "weak" channels to actually come through?

Yes, you'll need an antenna amplifier though.  At the lake cabin get all the local Fargo channels and we're over 70 miles away from towers.  One like this works great: https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-LNA-100-Antenna-Amplifier-Booster/dp/B00BN5Z2UY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=37826YTJ1GFWO&keywords=winegard+antenna+amplifier&qid=1691857519&s=electronics&sprefix=winegard+antenna+amp%2Celectronics%2C150&sr=1-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

[Image: 31CvHWP2w0L._AC_.jpg]

@IDVikingfan said:
@HappyViking said:
@AGRforever said:
@HappyViking said:

Depends...  DTV predictions are just that...  Your real world situation may be better or worse than the predictions.  For example, DTV predictions do not know the local factors which can impact reception. 

Are there tall nearby trees or buildings in the direction you are aiming?  Pine trees are especially significant blockers of radio signals... Concrete or brick walls will totally block out weak signals.

Signal strengths will be strongest if you aim the antenna directly at the Nashville stations.  An antenna rotator may be needed if you desire signals from stations in variant directions. 

Try multiple multiple mount locations to determine you best bet.  Higher is better.  Attic mounts are a no-no if signal strengths are weak.  Do your neighbors have antennas and do they receive the Nashville stations?

Adding a pre-amp is very beneficial with weak signals, long cable runs, and splitters for multiple tvs.

[Image: Pirate-Ship-fog-water.jpg?w=600&q=60]

Yer speaking my language matey. B)

I’m saving $100/month or more depending on the season by cutting the cord.

We use free streaming services, there are a ton. We pay for a few, there are a ton. I watch for Black Friday deals on some of them.They cost a lot less that way.

I use the free services from the library system, Kanopy and Hoopla. All you need is a library card. They also started offering a week subscription (free for a week) of Acorn (British TV)

For NFL viewing I use NFL+ and sign in with Paramount and Peacock for local broadcast games and watch the abbreviated games after they are over. Less time involved.

I don’t watch other sports, NFL and College football is really all I want to see. 

Goodbye Hulu

Yeah, my wife and I play the game of which services have a free trial period, etc. My point is all this streaming stuff is creeping up in price. I really don't watch a ton of TV, its usually select docs/movies and then the NFL when its in season. We catch the local news for about 20 minutes daily to get the weather/local stories and that's all I can stomach. Love March Madness when it comes around. Turn golf on outside by the pool on Sundays (non NFL time) to catch the final rounds, but basically on in the background as we have music playing in and outside our house almost constantly. 

I'd love to watch more movies.....but my challenge is make some good new f-ing movies to watch. Its been hot garbage for the last 5-6 years with just a few exceptions, IMO. I've burned through the best series content on Netflix, etc. I refuse to waste my time watching crap that isn't good or is so mind-numbingly basic just for the sake of watching TV. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yeah, my wife and I play the game of which services have a free trial period, etc. My point is all this streaming stuff is creeping up in price. I really don't watch a ton of TV, its usually select docs/movies and then the NFL when its in season. We catch the local news for about 20 minutes daily to get the weather/local stories and that's all I can stomach. Love March Madness when it comes around. Turn golf on outside by the pool on Sundays (non NFL time) to catch the final rounds, but basically on in the background as we have music playing in and outside our house almost constantly. 

I'd love to watch more movies.....but my challenge is make some good new f-ing movies to watch. Its been hot garbage for the last 5-6 years with just a few exceptions, IMO. I've burned through the best series content on Netflix, etc. I refuse to waste my time watching crap that isn't good or is so mind-numbingly basic just for the sake of watching TV. 
Man. We used to have music on all the time. It was so nice and really would brighten my day. Then we had toddlers and now it’s just chasing them around all day haha. Which is great too but I miss my music and relaxing. Don’t think I’ll spring for a pool since we’re in the midwest but once the kids are grown we wanna redo our back deck and really go all out. Someday. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@StickyBun said:

Man. We used to have music on all the time. It was so nice and really would brighten my day. Then we had toddlers and now it’s just chasing them around all day haha. Which is great too but I miss my music and relaxing. Don’t think I’ll spring for a pool since we’re in the midwest but once the kids are grown we wanna redo our back deck and really go all out. Someday. 
20 years goes fast....Hang in there lol! 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@pattersaur said:
@StickyBun said:

20 years goes fast....Hang in there lol! 

It doesn’t really take 20 years though. Mid teenager years get soent in the cave we call their room anyway.