Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: So why did we all cut the cable cord again?

Deals can still be had but you have to be on it. Last black friday Hulu w/ ads and Disney+ (no ads) was $5/mo for 12 months. For someone with kids who love Disney and Bluey, this was a no-brainer. Wife likes hulu too.
Last holidays Verizon also offered Netflix's top tier for $25 for the entire year.

Great deals that will probably go away, but for now I'm happy. Until these expire ha. Then I'll either find another deal or we'll pair back.
Also have YoutubeTV and love it. Sadly have not found or seen any deals on that one. But I need it for sports so -shrugs-.
EDIT- Since I don't have a time machine I'll say I saw something about AppleTV+ offering 2 free months for new or returning subscribers right now. I didn't do it but that's out there, if that service interests anyone. I've heard good things about Severence and Silo, but can't confirm since I haven't watched them.

You have to be on the lookout and switch from time to time. It was only a matter of time before cable companies were going to jump on streaming. Although Disney and Netflix seem to be losing. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
You have to be on the lookout and switch from time to time. It was only a matter of time before cable companies were going to jump on streaming. Although Disney and Netflix seem to be losing. 
Netflix smashed their recent earnings report and grew something like 5 million subscribers. All of the consternation over their crackdown on password sharing seems to be a vocal minority. At least for now, Netflix came out smelling like a rose on that whole deal. I read this week that Disney+ is going to follow suit. I assume all streaming services will do the same after seeing the success Netflix has had.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@Vikergirl said:
Netflix smashed their recent earnings report and grew something like 5 million subscribers. All of the consternation over their crackdown on password sharing seems to be a vocal minority. At least for now, Netflix came out smelling like a rose on that whole deal. I read this week that Disney+ is going to follow suit. I assume all streaming services will do the same after seeing the success Netflix has had.
Yep, Netflix was right.....and Costco is doing the same thing, no more sharing membership cards. They are actively looking at your cards now to see if the pic aligns with the person giving it. I don't blame them. 

It is what it is. 
Cheap prices as they try to get you hooked into their platform.  Then ramp up the prices to maximize
profitability.  I think what will happen
more and more is people being hyper focused on subscribing for only 1 or 2
services at a time, binge watch some shows, and then migrate to the next platform.  I believe I heard that Disney has been losing
money on most of it’s movies recently, so I imagine they’ll have to crank up
streaming profitability to recapture those losses.

I think one redeeming factor here is that unlike cable/satellite,
it appears that companies will have to actually compete and let the market push
prices down.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@pattersaur said:
@Vikergirl said:
Yep, Netflix was right.....and Costco is doing the same thing, no more sharing membership cards. They are actively looking at your cards now to see if the pic aligns with the person giving it. I don't blame them. 

Does Costco not have self checkouts?  I haven't had someone physically look at my card at Sams in years.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@pattersaur said:
@Vikergirl said:

Does Costco not have self checkouts?  I haven't had someone physically look at my card at Sams in years.
Yep, they do....and that's where they check and ask for photo I.D.. Obviously, they check at the full service checkouts when you hand them your card. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/27/costco-c...%20picture.

I have an idea for a business if someone would like to take it to Shark Tank.A wholesale club.
1. Membership fees are $45 a year.2. Our prices will not be great but a person could save a little on a few items. Actually, with coupons people would save more money shopping at Walmart.
3. We will check customers cards on their way into the store. This will cause a jam at the door but people will get used to it.4. We will not have any employees to help customers while in the store.
5. We will sell space for businesses like or AT&T to stop our customers to try and sell them phone and TV contracts.
6. Most merchandise will be on pallets. If something is out of reach a customer should not have to wait more than 3 hours for us to get a forklift there to retrieve it.7. People can check-out at self service check-outs. We will not have any bags for them.8. While leaving the store all customer carts will be checked to make sure they are not stealing. This will certainly cause a jam at the door but we don't care.