Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalvin trending again
Watching the season team highlight recap on NFL Network today really makes you realize the impact Cook had last season in a lot of these come from behind wins;

- 53 yard TD run in the 4th quarter at Miami
- 81 yard TD run in the 3rd quarter at Buffalo
- 12 yard, one handed TD catch in the 4th quarter at Washington
- 64 yard TD reception versus the Colts in the 4th quarter taking a short pass and turning it into a huge play. 

All these plays were huge catalysts in coming back in these games. Anybody that doesn't think we are going to miss Cooks explosiveness and has "ho-hummed" his release is fooling themselves..

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Watching the season team highlight recap on NFL Network today really makes you realize the impact Cook had last season in a lot of these come from behind wins;

- 64 yard TD reception versus the Colts in the 4th quarter taking a short pass and turning it into a huge play. 

All these plays were huge catalysts in coming back in these games. Anybody that doesn't think we are going to miss Cooks explosiveness and has "ho-hummed" his release is fooling themselves..
As an eternal optimist (we all must be or we wouldn't be bleeding purple here, right?), I am hoping that KOC can use bulldozer Mattison, with some quick change of pace hits from Nwangu and Chandler.  Honestly though, I must admit, the guy I am most curious about seeing in action (in pre-season, of course), is McBride.  His college highlight reel is ridiculous.

She pulls his hair, says she is going to punch him again and threatens to pull out a gun, doesn't sound like an innocent victim. Celebrities settle cases like this to move on, doesn't not signify anything in regards to the truth. They could have had an agreement and now she is trying to get more knowing that Cook cannot afford any bad press in trying to get a new deal.  

now list the rest of his touches, and the results in those games,  you cant weigh the successes without showing the failures as well.  factor in the turnovers and the plays that went for near zero or worse yardage and there is room to improve without having to replace those limited successes.  a few more first down carries that lead to continued first downs instead of turning the ball over via a punt leads to less  time on the field for the defense over the game which is less opportunities for opposing teams to score.  its not just the home runs, you need to look at the strike outs as well.

I don't think there's a Viking fan on the planet who would argue Cook wasn't a good running back. He was. One of the best in the NFL. So all these facts are unnecessary. We are unquestionably downgrading the RB position on paper.

But the pertinent question was is he worth his $12M cap hit? Or can we be almost as effective running the ball (or AS effective, or perhaps even MORE effective) with a the stable of lesser, but promising RBs in a committee at a fraction of the cost? 

Every decision is a cost/benefit analysis. And, I say this as one of the biggest Dalvin fans on the board, I think the Vikings made the right one. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

now list the rest of his touches, and the results in those games,  you cant weigh the successes without showing the failures as well.  factor in the turnovers and the plays that went for near zero or worse yardage and there is room to improve without having to replace those limited successes.  a few more first down carries that lead to continued first downs instead of turning the ball over via a punt leads to less  time on the field for the defense over the game which is less opportunities for opposing teams to score.  its not just the home runs, you need to look at the strike outs as well.
Well there weren't enough negative plays to keep him out of the Pro Bowl for the 4th straight year. I'm just saying his big play, homerun hitting ability was huge for us in coming from behind in those games I outlined and that ability is going to be missed more then people realize.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

I don't think there's a Viking fan on the planet who would argue Cook wasn't a good running back. He was. One of the best in the NFL. So all these facts are unnecessary. We are unquestionably downgrading the RB position on paper.

But the pertinent question was is he worth his $12M cap hit? Or can we be almost as effective running the ball (or AS effective, or perhaps even MORE effective) with a the stable of lesser, but promising RBs in a committee at a fraction of the cost? 

Every decision is a cost/benefit analysis. And, I say this as one of the biggest Dalvin fans on the board, I think the Vikings made the right one. 
I think for KOC he really isn't interested in running the ball. He'd rather throw it around the yard 50 times a game and use the run as a clear secondary option, so it probably matters a lot less who the runner is. This has been brought up a lot on NFL Radio when discussing Cooks release. They just need a guy back there, and it's a far cry from the Zimmer era where we clearly wanted to establish a running game and play more physical on offense. All this makes the Oliver signing even more of a head scratcher. If you really want to run the ball and be more committed to it...wouldn't you want the best back you could get? 

We'll see. I think it will be a different offense this year. It remains to be seen if it's for the better. I just don't believe you cut a top 5 RB in his prime and can reasonably expect to get the same production 

Quote: @JR44 said:
She pulls his hair, says she is going to punch him again and threatens to pull out a gun, doesn't sound like an innocent victim. Celebrities settle cases like this to move on, doesn't not signify anything in regards to the truth. They could have had an agreement and now she is trying to get more knowing that Cook cannot afford any bad press in trying to get a new deal.  
As I read that initial posting, it seemed like some embellishments were added.  That was just my first blush.  Even a fraction of those actions were horrible, but it just kept going.  So either he was a very violent abuser, or there is something else to the story.  With your addition, yeah, there seems to be quite the history here and looks like money is more the object.

What was the issue he had pre-draft?  Seems there were some character issues in his background?

@JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:

Well there weren't enough negative plays to keep him out of the Pro Bowl for the 4th straight year. I'm just saying his big play, homerun hitting ability was huge for us in coming from behind in those games I outlined and that ability is going to be missed more then people realize.  
LOL,  you are enough of a football fan to know damn well that the pro bowl means little in terms of a players success.  nobody is saying he wont be missed,  but its not like our running game is going to shut down,  I honestly think it could improve with a RB that is willing to just pound it up in there and not dance around looking for his next home run.  big plays are nice,  but not at the expense of first downs over the course of the season.  This is the same argument that took place around Cordelle Patterson,  sure he took one to the house once in a while,  but how many times would the team have been better off if he would have just taken a knee instead of getting trapped inside the 10-15 yard line?   3 and outs with the occasional big run dont wear down a defense,  keeping them on the field by moving the chains is what leads to those offensive dominance moments later in games.  Mattison wont outrun many,  but he tends to finish his runs going forward and doesnt get stuffed behind the LOS very often.  There are trade offs sure,  but the cap savings vs the expected performance make sense to me.

@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

I think for KOC he really isn't interested in running the ball. He'd rather throw it around the yard 50 times a game and use the run as a clear secondary option, so it probably matters a lot less who the runner is. This has been brought up a lot on NFL Radio when discussing Cooks release. They just need a guy back there, and it's a far cry from the Zimmer era where we clearly wanted to establish a running game and play more physical on offense. All this makes the Oliver signing even more of a head scratcher. If you really want to run the ball and be more committed to it...wouldn't you want the best back you could get? 

We'll see. I think it will be a different offense this year. It remains to be seen if it's for the better. I just don't believe you cut a top 5 RB in his prime and can reasonably expect to get the same production 
Have you not been paying attention? Word on the street is that KOC intends to not only run the ball more, but run more effectively, more efficiently. Yes, likely fewer 60 yard runs, but also fewer 1-yard losses....and more 4-6 yard gains. I think that's the idea. And that's one of the reasons (money being the first) we're replacing Dalvin with a committee. And why we brought in the NFL's best run blocking TE. Though I will say that I think we'll all be surprised by what Oliver brings to the passing game.