Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk's Contract
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
I suspect they’ve been talking all off-season. There’s no guarantee his replacement is on the roster and even if there’s a potential starter, he’s likely two years away from being ready. So in my opinion, it would be smart to add a year onto his contract. 
I’m guessing Kirk wants more than an extra year on any new contract. He undoubtedly has faith in his ability to keep playing at a high level and would love to finish out here, probably 4 years from now. From the Vikings standpoint, as I said, a little extra time makes sense, but the risk of going any further is pretty high considering how fast a guys arm can go when he hits the age Kirk is already at. Although his arm appears to still be it’s usual upper level of the league velocity, we’ve all seen even bigger arms than his crater in the span of one year. 
He may be saying this, but I think they continue to talk up until the season starts. It makes sense from a cap perspective to get something in place so Kwesi can plan out contracts for JJ and a couple of others. To lock down the spot with a known number, it helps a lot in designing the roster. 
I think what Cousins says is true. They're not talking and won't talk until March. 

I think Kirk is plenty OK betting on himself, and the team is OK letting it play out, with zero money on the books after 2023. I think there's a benefit for both sides in this, and the only downside to the Vikings is what PF mentioned: Vikings might have to pay Cousins a lot more in '24 than they would have in '23. But when you really think about it, what's a couple million more when you're talking $40M? Especially given what Cousins and the Vikings would have done to trigger an extension. 

Best case scenario is that Kirk explodes his second season in the offense, he's an MVP candidate and the Vikings go deep into the playoffs. In which case the Vikings give him a two year extension for whatever ridiculous number the market dictates. However, the Vikings use future picks to move up in the draft for their QBOTF. A year later the Vikings have a young QB ready to take the reigns and a veteran QB who is now a very tradable asset. 

Worst case scenarios that he doesn't. Cousins gets hurt, or he just has a bad year for whatever reason. Vikings have no financial commitment to him. He departs via free agency and the Vikings go into the draft with their dick hanging out--every team in the NFL is going to know they're drafting a QB. Vikings would be wise to bring in a bridge QB. 

The constant between the two is the Vikings drafting a QB in '24 draft. I'm convinced they will and they'll move into the top 5 or 10 to do it. 

This is why Poles is not our GM and why we hired a stooge with extremely minimal experience, who also happened to fit the NFL's progressive agenda. I don't think any seasoned personnel guy would have taken this job having to deal with these mandates from ownership and the Kirk Cousins contract ccarousel. That's like trying to build a winner and revamp the roster with one arm tied behind your back. 
Do you ever make a post that doesn't pimp Ryan Poles while crapping on Kwesi?   Nobody here gives a shit about Ryan Poles or cares that 'OMG Kwesi is black!'

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
I suspect they’ve been talking all off-season. There’s no guarantee his replacement is on the roster and even if there’s a potential starter, he’s likely two years away from being ready. So in my opinion, it would be smart to add a year onto his contract. 
I’m guessing Kirk wants more than an extra year on any new contract. He undoubtedly has faith in his ability to keep playing at a high level and would love to finish out here, probably 4 years from now. From the Vikings standpoint, as I said, a little extra time makes sense, but the risk of going any further is pretty high considering how fast a guys arm can go when he hits the age Kirk is already at. Although his arm appears to still be it’s usual upper level of the league velocity, we’ve all seen even bigger arms than his crater in the span of one year. 
He may be saying this, but I think they continue to talk up until the season starts. It makes sense from a cap perspective to get something in place so Kwesi can plan out contracts for JJ and a couple of others. To lock down the spot with a known number, it helps a lot in designing the roster. 
I think what Cousins says is true. They're not talking and won't talk until March. 

I think Kirk is plenty OK betting on himself, and the team is OK letting it play out, with zero money on the books after 2023. I think there's a benefit for both sides in this, and the only downside to the Vikings is what PF mentioned: Vikings might have to pay Cousins a lot more in '24 than they would have in '23. But when you really think about it, what's a couple million more when you're talking $40M? Especially given what Cousins and the Vikings would have done to trigger an extension. 

Best case scenario is that Kirk explodes his second season in the offense, he's an MVP candidate and the Vikings go deep into the playoffs. In which case the Vikings give him a two year extension for whatever ridiculous number the market dictates. However, the Vikings use future picks to move up in the draft for their QBOTF. A year later the Vikings have a young QB ready to take the reigns and a veteran QB who is now a very tradable asset. 

Worst case scenarios that he doesn't. Cousins gets hurt, or he just has a bad year for whatever reason. Vikings have no financial commitment to him. He departs via free agency and the Vikings go into the draft with their dick hanging out--every team in the NFL is going to know they're drafting a QB. Vikings would be wise to bring in a bridge QB. 

The constant between the two is the Vikings drafting a QB in '24 draft. I'm convinced they will and they'll move into the top 5 or 10 to do it. 

That's the big gamble in sticking with Cousins as we've elected to do and letting this play out. I still go back though to the fact that if the Vikings really wanted him and thought he was "the guy" he'd already be signed to a 3 or 4 year deal. They are hedging their bets in case he busts or age catches up and his play falls off a cliff. They don't really want him as part of the "competitive rebuild" so I go back to the old Belichick mantra of better to trade them a year early for maximum value, then a year too late when he walks in free agency and we get nothing for him. I think losing Cook is huge, and if we trade Hunter while retaining Cousins (as we have)...then isn't it almost like "yes we are tanking, but still trying to be kinda competitive?" What is the purpose of that kind of half ass philosophy? The NFL world is looking at us like, nobody knows what the hell we are doing or trying to accomplish moving forward.

But this is what happens when you have owners (who are good owners) but are really just fans who don't know anything about football and have implemented these "competitive mandates" instead of just letting the people they hire build this thing how they think it best to do so. This is why Poles is not our GM and why we hired a stooge with extremely minimal experience, who also happened to fit the NFL's progressive agenda. I don't think any seasoned personnel guy would have taken this job having to deal with these mandates from ownership and the Kirk Cousins contract ccarousel. That's like trying to build a winner and revamp the roster with one arm tied behind your back. 

Saying the Wilfs are hamstringing our GM-- which I kind of agree with-- while also deriding the GM seems like you're talking out both sides of your mouth, no? If they aren't letting KAM do what (IYO) he wants, then it can't be all his fault, right?
I think MB's post about the QB situation is spot on. This regime would prefer not to give Kirk more than another year or maaaybe two. That seems smart to me. There is literally no one available in FA next year with even close to Kirk's talent so I think it's likely he's back in 2024 at this point, unless we go all in on a rookie.

The one thing I disagree with is MB's worst case scenario being Kirk is gone and us having to trade the farm and start a rookie in 2024. Yes that would be bad but worse for me would be signing Kirk through 2025 or 2026 and then failing to draft an early QB at all in next year's draft. Pipeline would continue to be bare and we'd be riding Kirk til his arm falls off. To me that would doom any SB hopes any time soon. At least with the rookie scenario maybe you strike gold and can have some fun while taking our lumps.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:

That's the big gamble in sticking with Cousins as we've elected to do and letting this play out. I still go back though to the fact that if the Vikings really wanted him and thought he was "the guy" he'd already be signed to a 3 or 4 year deal. They are hedging their bets in case he busts or age catches up and his play falls off a cliff. They don't really want him as part of the "competitive rebuild" so I go back to the old Belichick mantra of better to trade them a year early for maximum value, then a year too late when he walks in free agency and we get nothing for him. I think losing Cook is huge, and if we trade Hunter while retaining Cousins (as we have)...then isn't it almost like "yes we are tanking, but still trying to be kinda competitive?" What is the purpose of that kind of half ass philosophy? The NFL world is looking at us like, nobody knows what the hell we are doing or trying to accomplish moving forward.

But this is what happens when you have owners (who are good owners) but are really just fans who don't know anything about football and have implemented these "competitive mandates" instead of just letting the people they hire build this thing how they think it best to do so. This is why Poles is not our GM and why we hired a stooge with extremely minimal experience, who also happened to fit the NFL's progressive agenda. I don't think any seasoned personnel guy would have taken this job having to deal with these mandates from ownership and the Kirk Cousins contract ccarousel. That's like trying to build a winner and revamp the roster with one arm tied behind your back. 
It's a competitive rebuild. You know what that means, right? The media clearly doesn't, because they've been programmed to see only in binary. One, zero, left, right, black, white, etc. You put something in between and they go haywire. "It's half ass!" LOL

But good teams have been doing rolling rebuilds for decades, typically met with the same confusion by the media. It just means there is enough good, young talent on the team to rule out a tear down, but there is also some aging players whose performance and outlook no longer match what we pay them. 

I've said it before, but you're going to wake up in a year or two and the team will have been completely rebuilt and you'll still be asking to see the plan. 
So if they trade Hunter, where is the "competitive" in the rebuild? 

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:

This is why Poles is not our GM and why we hired a stooge with extremely minimal experience, who also happened to fit the NFL's progressive agenda. I don't think any seasoned personnel guy would have taken this job having to deal with these mandates from ownership and the Kirk Cousins contract ccarousel. That's like trying to build a winner and revamp the roster with one arm tied behind your back. 
Do you ever make a post that doesn't pimp Ryan Poles while crapping on Kwesi?   Nobody here gives a shit about Ryan Poles or cares that 'OMG Kwesi is black!'
Lol just pointing out that Poles was our first choice for GM, but took the Bears job instead because he could have the freedom to build it how he wanted without having to deal with "competitive mandates" from ownership. And its not about Kwesi being "OMG he's black" it's "OMG we hired a guy with very limited football experience" to build this roster. That's the real issue, but continue to miss the forest through the trees

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:

It's a competitive rebuild. You know what that means, right? The media clearly doesn't, because they've been programmed to see only in binary. One, zero, left, right, black, white, etc. You put something in between and they go haywire. "It's half ass!" LOL

But good teams have been doing rolling rebuilds for decades, typically met with the same confusion by the media. It just means there is enough good, young talent on the team to rule out a tear down, but there is also some aging players whose performance and outlook no longer match what we pay them. 

I've said it before, but you're going to wake up in a year or two and the team will have been completely rebuilt and you'll still be asking to see the plan. 
it wasnt likely part of the plan,  but its part of the game,  you will always have curve balls,  its how you handle them that writes your future.  KAM needs to find a way to make the Hunter situation work for the Vikings or it could become another stain on his resume.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:

Saying the Wilfs are hamstringing our GM-- which I kind of agree with-- while also deriding the GM seems like you're talking out both sides of your mouth, no? If they aren't letting KAM do what (IYO) he wants, then it can't be all his fault, right?
I think MB's post about the QB situation is spot on. This regime would prefer not to give Kirk more than another year or maaaybe two. That seems smart to me. There is literally no one available in FA next year with even close to Kirk's talent so I think it's likely he's back in 2024 at this point, unless we go all in on a rookie.

The one thing I disagree with is MB's worst case scenario being Kirk is gone and us having to trade the farm and start a rookie in 2024. Yes that would be bad but worse for me would be signing Kirk through 2025 or 2026 and then failing to draft an early QB at all in next year's draft. Pipeline would continue to be bare and we'd be riding Kirk til his arm falls off. To me that would doom any SB hopes any time soon. At least with the rookie scenario maybe you strike gold and can have some fun while taking our lumps.
No you are right in that it's not all his fault if he is being hamstrung in building this roster while dealing with competitive mandates. Still though, I don't think that plays ilthe players he elects to draft. Probably more plays into what he can n can not do in free agency 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

If KOC has the offense clicking to a reasonable amount, we’re
probably “competitive” almost regardless of what the defense does.  We’ll definitely be too good to be in the
running for one of the QBs going in the top 3-5 picks, which is what the alternate
tanking strategy would be trying to go for. 
I think most reasonable people know that “competitive” in this case
means likely in the running for making the playoffs, unlikely to be SB caliber
this year unless Flores crushes it or we catch lightning in the bottle, and
establishing a SB window in 2024 and beyond.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:

@"MaroonBells" said:

https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/166...04550?s=20