Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk's Contract
Kirk said the other day that he and the Vikings will not talk contract again until he's a free agent in March. Pretty precarious position for both sides, especially considering free agent season is long before the draft. Meaning it's possible the Vikings could go into the draft without a starting QB.  That is not a position a team wants to find itself in.

But I tend to think the Vikings know that Cousins loves Minnesota, his offense and weapons, and will give them every opportunity to keep him there. It never made sense in the past for Cousins to take a team-friendly deal, but in the spring of 2024, he'll be a QB turning 36, an age where it makes a lot more sense. 

More on Kirk betting on himself HERE. 

What I think I think...

KC should have a stellar year with this cast and yr 2 in the system

Should result in an exorbitant amount of negotiation leverage

I think the Vikings are going to wish they got a deal done this year. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
What I think I think...

to add onto that,  since this is the Vikings we are talking about.  There will be huge expectations for 2024,  Kirk will get a  monster contract with 3 or 4 more years guaranteed,  and then the wheels will fall off the wagon.  Kirk will play like shit,  JJ will want out,  we will of course have the usual season crushing injuries,  and by this then end of the 2024 season everyone will be looking to the next chapter.

What I think I think...

You may be right. This season marks the first time Cousins will return in the same offense with the same play caller since the 2016 season. If the sons of Hocken and Addi are everything they promise to be, and that IOL improves just a little bit, watch out. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Kirk said the other day that he and the Vikings will not talk contract again until he's a free agent in March. Pretty precarious position for both sides, especially considering free agent season is long before the draft. Meaning it's possible the Vikings could go into the draft without a starting QB.  That is not a position a team wants to find itself in.

But I tend to think the Vikings know that Cousins loves Minnesota, his offense and weapons, and will give them every opportunity to keep him there. It never made sense in the past for Cousins to take a team-friendly deal, but in the spring of 2024, he'll be a QB turning 36, an age where it makes a lot more sense. 

More on Kirk betting on himself HERE. 
FWIW, this is the actual quote.

"I think we'll probably talk about the contract next March," Cousins said on the final day of the Vikings' mandatory minicamp. "Until then, [we'll] just focus on this season and the job to do right now."

When I read that, it sounds less absolute than when other people read it.

Age 35/36 is where decline typically starts to accelerate for even the best QBs. Of course there are outliers but not many. The Vikings would be insane to give Kirk a long term deal at this stage.
The available QB FAs next year (other than Kirk) are complete garbage so I agree it's a precarious spot but is giving Kirk 3-4 more years fully guaranteed any better? Unless he sets the world on fire this year-- think Rodgers' recent MVP seasons-- then I'd say no.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Age 35/36 is where decline typically starts to accelerate for even the best QBs. Of course there are outliers but not many. The Vikings would be insane to give Kirk a long term deal at this stage.
The available QB FAs next year (other than Kirk) are complete garbage so I agree it's a precarious spot but is giving Kirk 3-4 more years fully guaranteed any better? Unless he sets the world on fire this year-- think Rodgers' recent MVP seasons-- then I'd say no.
I think this is exactly why the Vikings are hedging their bets on Cousins and letting this play out without just giving him an extension. Age matters and is a factor. Ideally the Vikings would like to get off the Cousins rollercoaster but can't until they are somehow able to get someone else in the pipeline. If the Vikings really wanted Cousins and thought he was the answer in getting them to the Super Bowl, then they'd already have him locked in on an extension. The fact that they haven't is telling 

Here's my issue though, say he has an average year, the Vikings don't make the playoffs (possible), and just let him walk or he gets a better offer elsewhere, then the only benefit towards the Vikings is cap relief and a late 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If he is worth more then that NOW to a team like the 49ers or Redskins, then why would you not do that? First round pick, second round pick, maybe more. Yes we take a tank year and sign someone off the street like Carson Wentz to compete with Hall, but we acquire more high value assets that would go towards our future. I just really see no benefit in simply letting Cousins play this out when in reality if they really wanted him and thought he was the answer he'd already be signed on an extension. Maybe we see how the first part of the season goes and if they don't like what they see or things aren't going well, they trade him then? IMO it's a very risky play by the Vikings just letting this thing play out but I'd bet it has a lot to do with the Wilfs. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@pattersaur said:
I think this is exactly why the Vikings are hedging their bets on Cousins and letting this play out without just giving him an extension. Age matters and is a factor. Ideally the Vikings would like to get off the Cousins rollercoaster but can't until they are somehow able to get someone else in the pipeline. If the Vikings really wanted Cousins and thought he was the answer in getting them to the Super Bowl, then they'd already have him locked in on an extension. The fact that they haven't is telling 

Here's my issue though, say he has an average year, the Vikings don't make the playoffs (possible), and just let him walk or he gets a better offer elsewhere, then the only benefit towards the Vikings is cap relief and a late 3rd or 4th round comp pick. If he is worth more then that NOW to a team like the 49ers or Redskins, then why would you not do that? First round pick, second round pick, maybe more. Yes we take a tank year and sign someone off the street like Carson Wentz to compete with Hall, but we acquire more high value assets that would go towards our future. I just really see no benefit in simply letting Cousins play this out when in reality if they really wanted him and thought he was the answer he'd already be signed on an extension. Maybe we see how the first part of the season goes and if they don't like what they see or things aren't going well, they trade him then? IMO it's a very risky play by the Vikings just letting this thing play out but I'd bet it has a lot to do with the Wilfs. 
Nobody is going to give you anything for Kirk mod season,  its his brain that brings the value and with no offseason to learn a new O amd to get reps in with new targets,  that would be a complete waste of resources 5 or 6 games into a season.  The longer we hold onto him in your scenario, the less sense it makes for a team to trade for him.

What I think I think...

If he has a stellar year then I'm sure they won't mind his negotiation leverage but they won't wish they did an earlier deal because this may be one of the main reasons why he has a stellar year. The pressure is on him to be as good as he can be if he wants that leverage.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
 If the sons of Hocken and Addi are everything they promise to be, and that IOL improves just a little bit, watch out. 
Addison missed every practice of OTA's and minicamp injured.