• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Lance drawing 'interest' from other teams
Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@PurplePastor said:
@dadevike said:
Sunk cost. That is what you call the draft capital that SF gave up to draft Trey Lance. It really should not enter into consideration when considering trade offers for Lance. The only consideration is whether your team is better off with Trey lance or with whatever is being offered in a trade.

If SF values Lance as much as it values the 85th pick in the draft and it rejects the best trade offer by, say, Indy of pick # 80, then instead of making only one mistake (overpaying for Lance), it has made two (refusing to trade him for more than you think he is worth).
I agree with what you're saying. The caveat in these types of cases is whether the GM is willing to humble himself as making a mistake and moving on. 
That's not even an issue. Lynch has already come out and said Purdy should be their starter and he's earned that right. The Purdy factor makes it much easier for them to move off Lance in a trade. 
You greatly underestimate the power of ego. Lynch can start Purdy and keep Lance which saves his ego from having to admit a monstrous mismanagement in draft capital. Again QB position is costing them nothing. Trading him for what will be pennies on the dollar will be admitting that mismanagement of draft capital.

If he gets something good in return that is a different story, but that isn't happening. I know you're giddy about a possible KC trade but it isn't happening. Fun to talk about but nowhere near the realm of reality. That trade would be a really good way to tell Jefferson you might as well start eye balling what NFL city you want to call your next home. 
I'm tired of hearing the "well, if we move on from Kirk, Jefferson is going to cry about it and leave in free agency" argument. There has been nothing to indicate any of that. Kirk is going to be 35...you think he is going to play forever or play at this level forever? The answer is no, and that page at QB is going to be turned sooner rather than later, and I'd imagine even Jefferson understands that.
You seem to not understand what people are saying. I don't think anyone has ever said Jefferson would be unhappy with moving on from Kirk. When people point this out it's because the proposed replacement tends to reek of getting rid of of KC just to get rid of him. And the suggested replacement isn't much to get excited about. Be it a fan or player perspective. 

Beyond that do you really think star WRs in the league don't talk? Lol, I can see it now. "Sup Deebo, heard we may be swapping QBs. You and George are gonna feast with Kirko. Look at what Hock and I put up. What's it like playing with Lance?" Deebo chuckles to himself and types "nice kid". Deebo exits text chain...

But you're right. I'm sure Jefferson would be thrilled to dump the guy whose thrown him the ball to historic WR numbers. For a guy with 4 career starts whose teams dumps him two years after burning 3 first round picks. No red flags there at all.
It's a business. The same business that's going to make Justin Jefferson the highest paid receiver in league history regardless of who the QB is. The business currently is that Cousins will be a 35 year old QB the Vikings are not going to pay guaranteed money to on an extension and are hedging their bets. Regardless, whether its Lance or somebody else, good chance Cousins isn't here much longer and I'm sure that's a reality Jefferson is prepared for 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@PurplePastor said:
@dadevike said:
Sunk cost. That is what you call the draft capital that SF gave up to draft Trey Lance. It really should not enter into consideration when considering trade offers for Lance. The only consideration is whether your team is better off with Trey lance or with whatever is being offered in a trade.

If SF values Lance as much as it values the 85th pick in the draft and it rejects the best trade offer by, say, Indy of pick # 80, then instead of making only one mistake (overpaying for Lance), it has made two (refusing to trade him for more than you think he is worth).
I agree with what you're saying. The caveat in these types of cases is whether the GM is willing to humble himself as making a mistake and moving on. 
That's not even an issue. Lynch has already come out and said Purdy should be their starter and he's earned that right. The Purdy factor makes it much easier for them to move off Lance in a trade. 
You greatly underestimate the power of ego. Lynch can start Purdy and keep Lance which saves his ego from having to admit a monstrous mismanagement in draft capital. Again QB position is costing them nothing. Trading him for what will be pennies on the dollar will be admitting that mismanagement of draft capital.

If he gets something good in return that is a different story, but that isn't happening. I know you're giddy about a possible KC trade but it isn't happening. Fun to talk about but nowhere near the realm of reality. That trade would be a really good way to tell Jefferson you might as well start eye balling what NFL city you want to call your next home. 
I'm tired of hearing the "well, if we move on from Kirk, Jefferson is going to cry about it and leave in free agency" argument. There has been nothing to indicate any of that. Kirk is going to be 35...you think he is going to play forever or play at this level forever? The answer is no, and that page at QB is going to be turned sooner rather than later, and I'd imagine even Jefferson understands that.
You seem to not understand what people are saying. I don't think anyone has ever said Jefferson would be unhappy with moving on from Kirk. When people point this out it's because the proposed replacement tends to reek of getting rid of of KC just to get rid of him. And the suggested replacement isn't much to get excited about. Be it a fan or player perspective. 

Beyond that do you really think star WRs in the league don't talk? Lol, I can see it now. "Sup Deebo, heard we may be swapping QBs. You and George are gonna feast with Kirko. Look at what Hock and I put up. What's it like playing with Lance?" Deebo chuckles to himself and types "nice kid". Deebo exits text chain...

But you're right. I'm sure Jefferson would be thrilled to dump the guy whose thrown him the ball to historic WR numbers. For a guy with 4 career starts whose teams dumps him two years after burning 3 first round picks. No red flags there at all.
It's a business. The same business that's going to make Justin Jefferson the highest paid receiver in league history regardless of who the QB is. The business currently is that Cousins will be a 35 year old QB the Vikings are not going to pay guaranteed money to on an extension and are hedging their bets. Regardless, whether its Lance or somebody else, good chance Cousins isn't here much longer and I'm sure that's a reality Jefferson is prepared for 
This take is literally what people are trying to get across to you. It is in fact a business. A business where Jefferson gets paid based on production. You don't think he views the guy throwing him the ball being someone washing out after 4 starts as detrimental to his earning potential? Hence him looking elsewhere. 

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@PurplePastor said:
@dadevike said:

This take is literally what people are trying to get across to you. It is in fact a business. A business where Jefferson gets paid based on production. You don't think he views the guy throwing him the ball being someone washing out after 4 starts as detrimental to his earning potential? Hence him looking elsewhere. 
Who washed out? Lance got hurt, which isn't remotely the same thing. And this isn't me being some Lance homer. I acknowledge he's still somewhat of an unknown with potential, but if the plan is to simply let Cousins play out his deal then what are the other options? In some capacity Jefferson will be catching passes from a relatively unknown commodity in the not too distant future regardless. And JJ is going to get paid off what he's already done and what he means to the organization. He will be set for life and I highly doubt he throws a fit over the Vikings moving on from a middle aged Kirk Cousins.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/...cing-again

A lot of moving pieces, but this is the best breakdown on a potential trade that I've read 
Every single one of these reports is about Lance. "The 49ers have received inquiries from several teams looking into a potential trade for Lance...." "...Vikings and 49ers discussed Lance at the NFL scouting combine this year, per a league source...."

Why? Because it makes perfect sense. If the Vikings don't land their understudy in the draft, it makes sense for them to know what it would cost to acquire a young QB like Lance. Who's never been mentioned in any of these? Kirk Cousins. He's not part of the whispers heard by Florio and Rapoport. He's only filled in later by people making assumptions. Just something to keep in mind. 
Not true because it was originally reported in March by Florio that the 49ers hit the Vikings up at the Combine inquiring about Kirk Cousins availability. This is the first we've heard the Vikings inquired about Lance at that same time. 

Again trading Lance only makes sense for the 49ers if they can get a QB they like as part of the return. Draft picks do nothing for them as an otherwise already Super Bowl ready roster  
It appears you are correct. Florio did mention Cousins in his first report about the trade buzz during the combine. But, again, it is Florio. I can count on my dick the amount of times he's relayed information that turns out to be legit. 

Agree that this makes a lot of sense for the 49ers. It's essentially gifting them a Super Bowl. Tough to see a man with a economics degrees from Princeton and Stanford not recognizing how stupid it is for the Vikings. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

A lot of moving pieces, but this is the best breakdown on a potential trade that I've read 
Every single one of these reports is about Lance. "The 49ers have received inquiries from several teams looking into a potential trade for Lance...." "...Vikings and 49ers discussed Lance at the NFL scouting combine this year, per a league source...."

Why? Because it makes perfect sense. If the Vikings don't land their understudy in the draft, it makes sense for them to know what it would cost to acquire a young QB like Lance. Who's never been mentioned in any of these? Kirk Cousins. He's not part of the whispers heard by Florio and Rapoport. He's only filled in later by people making assumptions. Just something to keep in mind. 
Not true because it was originally reported in March by Florio that the 49ers hit the Vikings up at the Combine inquiring about Kirk Cousins availability. This is the first we've heard the Vikings inquired about Lance at that same time. 

Again trading Lance only makes sense for the 49ers if they can get a QB they like as part of the return. Draft picks do nothing for them as an otherwise already Super Bowl ready roster  
It appears you are correct. Florio did mention Cousins in his first report about the trade buzz during the combine. But, again, it is Florio. I can count on my dick the amount of times he's relayed information that turns out to be legit. 

Agree that this makes a lot of sense for the 49ers. It's essentially gifting them a Super Bowl. Tough to see a man with a economics degrees from Princeton and Stanford not recognizing how stupid it is for the Vikings. 
The 49ers would obviously have to give up more than Lance for Cousins, draft picks would be a part of the comp. I guess it depends on where Minnesota thinks they are as a football team: contender or pretender and how they feel about Lance. Regardless, I just don't see it happening. Makes way more sense for Minnesota to draft his successor this year (if possible), but they may not be able to control that part. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

The 49ers would obviously have to give up more than Lance for Cousins, draft picks would be a part of the comp. I guess it depends on where Minnesota thinks they are as a football team: contender or pretender and how they feel about Lance. Regardless, I just don't see it happening. Makes way more sense for Minnesota to draft his successor this year (if possible), but they may not be able to control that part. 
If you're a "tear it up from the roots" person, then I can see why you might favor making this move. That is the disagreement at the heart of this, not the trade itself. 

I can count on my dick the amount of times he's relayed information that turns out to be legit. 

By using braille I can only assume....

@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:

Maroon.. if Florio is never right, and you can count the small amount of times he's been correct on your, uh, junk...just what exactly are you saying about your junk..? Lol 

But yeah the 49ers would get what they'd want in Cousins, and we'd hypothetically get what we want in a young, high upside QB to build around in Lance, additional draft pick compensation, and cap relief getting off the Kirk Cousins hostage train for a couple years. If there's no plan to extend Cousins beyond this upcoming season (and right now that's the case) then I don't know a whole lot of other deals that would give us that kind of return. The 49ers NEED a QB in return on any Trey Lance deal because it leaves their cupboard almost completely bare otherwise. 

Lance appears to be high upside; but I think how high is more of a question mark now than when he was drafted. As is his floor. 

I'd like to get the hometown kid back, but only at the right cost. And that means not trading our Pro Bowl QB for him. 

The win for me is getting someone here to understudy under Kirko and go from there. It seems so clear to me this is the best path for the Vikings. ITs not complicated. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Lance appears to be high upside; but I think how high is more of a question mark now than when he was drafted. As is his floor. 

I'd like to get the hometown kid back, but only at the right cost. And that means not trading our Pro Bowl QB for him. 

The win for me is getting someone here to understudy under Kirko and go from there. It seems so clear to me this is the best path for the Vikings. ITs not complicated. 
It does appear pretty obvious that this is the best route to take. I like Lance's upside. I'd put him right alongside most of the QBs in this draft as a potential QBOTF. So if the Vikings miss on a QB in the draft, I'd be all for trading for Lance.