Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the 49ers and Vikings have serious talks about Cousins?
To answer OP- I doubt it. Kyle Shanahan/Kirk connection gets brought up every offseason and no real whispers from any legit insiders about anything has ever come up. I think it's wishful thinking by the anti-Kirk crowd. Not that we fans know anything or have input, but I don't really here many Niners fans clamoring for him either.
A more probable-- but still very unlikely, IMO-- scenario for a Kirk trade might be as a plan B or C for teams like the Jets, Raiders, or Panthers if Rodgers stays put and they don't sign Carr (obviously excluding LV for Carr).
EDIT- I say unlikely not because no other teams would want Kirk. I'm sure some do. But trading a proven starter in order to start a rookie on Day 1 or shortly thereafter is something I can't recall many NFL teams doing, if any. Kwesi and kO would have their work cut out to sell the Wilfs and the locker room on a plan like that.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
To answer OP- I doubt it. Kyle Shanahan/Kirk connection gets brought up every offseason and no real whispers from any legit insiders about anything has ever come up. I think it's wishful thinking by the anti-Kirk crowd. Not that we fans know anything or have input, but I don't really here many Niners fans clamoring for him either.
A more probable-- but still very unlikely, IMO-- scenario for a Kirk trade might be as a plan B or C for teams like the Jets, Raiders, or Panthers if Rodgers stays put and they don't sign Carr (obviously excluding LV for Carr).
I think this year more than any would make sense to the Niners if it ever were to happen,  KC is likely not wanting to play out his final year and be entering FA staring down 36 years old.  The niners have a team that is literally 1 position away from something special, if there was any way for them to make a trade work,  now is the time considering the huge question marks they have at the position.  I believe that most of the speculation stems back to when KC was to become a FA,  that Shanny was supposedly very interested,  but the team wasnt in the position to make a run at him.

I still think him being traded is extremely remote,  but its the offseason,  what else is there to talk about?

Here is my dilemma.... If Kirk was the Chiefs or Eagles QB last year neither team would be in the Super bowl. The team needs to build something similar to the 2002 Bucs , 2013 Seahawks. If Cousins was on the 49ers this past year they would have a good chance to go all the way. Only because they have an overall dominate team.

Quote: @Still Hurtn said:
Here is my dilemma.... If Kirk was the Chiefs or Eagles QB last year neither team would be in the Super bowl. The team needs to build something similar to the 2002 Bucs , 2013 Seahawks. If Cousins was on the 49ers this past year they would have a good chance to go all the way. Only because they have an overall dominate team.
pretty much how I see it as well,  he can take a loaded team to the promised land,  but he cant carry an offense or overcome a poor defense. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Still Hurtn said:
pretty much how I see it as well,  he can take a loaded team to the promised land,  but he cant carry an offense or overcome a poor defense. 

But how many QB's can? Two? Three,maybe? Last year at this time, Josh Allen was probably one of them, But this year, not so much. So really we are basing this assumption off Mahomes and Hurts. Maybe Burrow.
If the opposing offense scores nearly every time they get the ball, you aren't going to win. If we had Mahomes as our QB, we wouldn't have made it to the Superbowl. But we may have beat the Giants.

Quote: @wiviking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Still Hurtn said:

But how many QB's can? Two? Three,maybe? Last year at this time, Josh Allen was probably one of them, But this year, not so much. So really we are basing this assumption off Mahomes and Hurts. Maybe Burrow.
If the opposing offense scores nearly every time they get the ball, you aren't going to win. If we had Mahomes as our QB, we wouldn't have made it to the Superbowl. But we may have beat the Giants.
there is a few,  very few,  but that is the reason right there why not to pay KC, or any QB that isnt in that top tier,  top tier money.  If any QB that needs a higher level of talent around them doesnt leave enough meat on the bone to be able to build that team around them... then what is the point?  one and done playoffs dont do shit for me.  I would rather sit through a bad season or two and have a better shot at quality draft picks and maybe assembling a team from them that has a legit shot at contending, than have "nice" seasons that dont result in anything.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@wiviking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Still Hurtn said:

there is a few,  very few,  but that is the reason right there why not to pay KC, or any QB that isnt in that top tier,  top tier money.  If any QB that needs a higher level of talent around them doesnt leave enough meat on the bone to be able to build that team around them... then what is the point?  one and done playoffs dont do shit for me.  I would rather sit through a bad season or two and have a better shot at quality draft picks and maybe assembling a team from them that has a legit shot at contending, than have "nice" seasons that dont result in anything.
We had more wins last year than the Chargers, Jags, and Bengals. I'd swap our entire roster with all of theirs no question, 99% of that decision based on the QB position. I know it's a team game but that position is so important. It's silly to keep saying well if we did (insert 10 things) correctly than our QB will thrive. For consistent success year over year you need a QB who can thrive when things aren't perfect. If you don't have one-- try to find one. Cut Kirk? Heck no. But the Mannions of the world have no place on the roster and it was embarrassing that RS thought they did. Gotta at least take a few stabs at competition at the most important position in sports.

Quote: @Still Hurtn said:
I would agree with that. If Kirk were the QB in KC or Philly, those teams probably would not have gotten as far as they did. That's how much Mahomes and Hurts bring to the table. 

I also agree that if Cousins were the QB in San Fran, they'd be world champs right now. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yaho...03135.html

Lynch made the comment that he thought Purdy "earned the right to start" moving forward. Interesting and I would not be surprised to see Lance traded here soon. Wondering with Kirk at a stalemate on his contract if any Cousins for Lance trade packages would be considered? 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yaho...03135.html

Lynch made the comment that he thought Purdy "earned the right to start" moving forward. Interesting and I would not be surprised to see Lance traded here soon. Wondering with Kirk at a stalemate on his contract if any Cousins for Lance trade packages would be considered? 
Considered? Probably. What the 49ers would want in compensation is the key. And just how interested Minnesota or any team would be with Lance....which is a big question mark. In today's NFL, teams are moving on faster from potential QB busts than ever before.