Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you take for JJ?
Quote: @"comet52" said:
If there is a QB in a draft that Kwesi believes is the next Mahomes, and trading Jefferson gives him the capital to do it, then yes he should do it.  His job is to build a champion and that could well entail taking a risk on a bold move.

The reality is, even the best wideout in the game is not likely to bring you into regular contention, but a top 5 quarterback is. 

That type of qb is what this franchise should be looking for if it ever wants to break the perpetual, risk-averse mediocrity cycle and actually contend.  That and move off of attachment to and overpaying of aging vets in decline for the sake of familiarity and/or purple-tinted nostalgia.

I love JJ and he's a joy to watch and have on the team.  I don't want to trade him.  But I want a top 5 QB and a title even more.  I've been waiting 50+ years so, pragmatism and taking the risk wins the day for me, if that unlikely scenario ever arises.
I am not sure who that QB may be in this draft,  or even if the scenario that I put out there is the number,  but every players is tradeable for the right amount.  I agree,  I love seeing JJ, especially after the mess Diggs turned into,  but if there was a player that our front office and coaching staff said would move fill the QB roll for the next decade at a high level,  I would expect them to do whatever they had to do to make that happen.  JJ will likely still have a another 5+ years of top tier play,  but I wouldnt be shocked if we have seen his peak as I dont think Cousins game is going to improve at this point.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
What's kind of amazing is how the franchise has had such a rich history of Hall of Fame WRers. 
Whats even more remarkable is the lack of long term QBs to throw to them over the years. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Ha. This is a futile effort. He about as untradeable of a player there is in the league. To put it in perspective the Vikings are going to end up paying him $30M or more annually and will make a good portion of that back based on marketing value alone before even factoring in his on-field performance. 

If they for some reason needed to negotiate this trade I would start with 3 first round picks. Jalen Ramsey went for two 1sts and a 4th. Jefferson is more valuable than that. 
It's not just that. The premise was to add a premium QB with those picks. Well good luck with that idea. The odds are low that you select a premium QB. Oh, and by the way, who is he going to throw to?
I guess it's all off season fun, but this one is truly fantasy football.
Kansas City didn't need to trade their best player to get Mahomes. They just needed a front office and head coach that recognized talent!

Quote: @"comet52" said:
If there is a QB in a draft that Kwesi believes is the next Mahomes, and trading Jefferson gives him the capital to do it, then yes he should do it.  His job is to build a champion and that could well entail taking a risk on a bold move.

The reality is, even the best wideout in the game is not likely to bring you into regular contention, but a top 5 quarterback is. 

That type of qb is what this franchise should be looking for if it ever wants to break the perpetual, risk-averse mediocrity cycle and actually contend.  That and move off of attachment to and overpaying of aging vets in decline for the sake of familiarity and/or purple-tinted nostalgia.

I love JJ and he's a joy to watch and have on the team.  I don't want to trade him.  But I want a top 5 QB and a title even more.  I've been waiting 50+ years so, pragmatism and taking the risk wins the day for me, if that unlikely scenario ever arises.
I'd say you're far more likely to get a Super Bowl with Cousins and JJ than you are without either. 

I think the Vikings are going to extend Cousins long term, as they should, but I do think they should still keep taking shots on QBs where they sit or with small trades up. IOW, it doesn't have to be this super expensive #1 overall pick acquired by trading your best asset. Mahomes was the 2nd QB taken his draft. Hurts was the 5th. Stafford was acquired via trade. Brady was a free agent. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"comet52" said:

I'd say you're far more likely to get a Super Bowl with Cousins and JJ than you are without either. 

I think the Vikings are going to extend Cousins long term, as they should, but I do think they should still keep taking shots on QBs where they sit or with small trades up. IOW, it doesn't have to be this super expensive #1 overall pick acquired by trading your best asset. Mahomes was the 2nd QB taken his draft. Hurts was the 5th. Stafford was acquired via trade. Brady was a free agent. 
It will be interesting to see how Kwesi and O'Connell approach the QB situation moving forward.  Based on Kwesi's comments last off-season, I think he likes Cousins but doesn't view him as a franchise changing QB. At some point, they (Kevin and Kwesi) are going to want to get "their" guy.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"comet52" said:

It will be interesting to see how Kwesi and O'Connell approach the QB situation moving forward.  Based on Kwesi's comments last off-season, I think he likes Cousins but doesn't view him as a franchise changing QB. At some point, they (Kevin and Kwesi) are going to want to get "their" guy.
Even Kwesi said those comments were taken out of context from a conversation about the NBA. We'll find out soon enough what he really thinks. NFL GMs lie all the time, but they never lie with their checkbooks. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"comet52" said:

Even Kwesi said those comments were taken out of context from a conversation about the NBA. We'll find out soon enough what he really thinks. NFL GMs lie all the time, but they never lie with their checkbooks. 
Extending KC is not going to tell what they really think except that they don't have a better plan in house and know they don't have the ammo to make a serious run at a top pick.  They are stuck until they have his replacement in house imo.  Sign him but still draft a QB high.

Listen, we all have eyes and see what a mobile, stronger built QB like Hurts or Mahomes can do. The RPO options can be murder on a D. Why do I think Anthony Richardson is going to be drafted high in round 1 this Spring? He's risky, but that upside. Phew. Hurts was taken mid-round 2 I believe? Richardson has almost an identical draft profile currently to what Hurts did coming out (other than size, Richardson is 6'4"). 

I wonder if a guy like Cameron Ward would get interest from Minnesota? 

Hurts has improved as a passer (greatly) each of the 3 years he's been in the league.  

I love JJ, and they better get the QBOTF right to go along with him. 

Look at what Mahomes was able to do with good pass pro and nobody of JJ's caliber (sans Kelce) to throw at. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"comet52" said:

Extending KC is not going to tell what they really think except that they don't have a better plan in house and know they don't have the ammo to make a serious run at a top pick.  They are stuck until they have his replacement in house imo.  Sign him but still draft a QB high.
Agree, though I wouldn't use the word "stuck."

I'm all for drafting, or somehow acquiring, Cousins' eventual replacement. What I'm against is using Cousins value to achieve that. Teams should never trade a proven QB for an unproven one. Even KC still had Alex Smith when they drafted Mahomes. For those keeping score, in 2017 they traded from 27 to 10 by sending a 3rd rounder and their 2018 1st rounder to the Bills. Vikings could do something similar, though I wouldn't expect it this year. 

Interestingly, the Bills used the extra 1st rounder in 2018 as ammo to move up and select Josh Allen.