Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikes hiring Flores
Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JR44" said:
Pretty hypocritical of the organization to get rid of Zimmer and RS cause of relationship issues and then you hire a guy who is the most abusive coach in the league.  Total BS.  
Most abusive coach?  Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression the reason he was fired was cuz he blew the whistle on the Dolphins FO for tanking (and they were mad he started winning with their shitty roster that year) and didn't get along with Tua? 

Dude can coach and has a fiery personality.  Doubt KOC would hire the guy if he didn't think he was a culture fit.
You can't fire Zimmer for the reasons given and then hire a guy with a reputation for being even more abrasive.  I think this was more of a Kwesi move than a KOC move. 

https://thespun.com/top-stories/report-w...ian-flores
“There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that. But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way. A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that ‘he doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.’ When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: ‘Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.’ The player had no such intentions. But multiple sources said he treated players different ways; a veteran such as Jason McCourty wouldn’t be treated with that same heavy hand. ‘He was stern with some but joked around with some guys,’ the source said. ‘It was hard to read him.'”
No way Kwesi made this hire without KOC signing off on it. Also, I am sure his dealings with Dolphins players were addressed in his interview. KOC is all about the team's culture and I am sure he and Flores discussed this. 

Quote: @"JR44" said:You can't fire Zimmer for the reasons given 

You can fire him for not winning shit for 8 years.

Some people forget that Flores didn't want to lose games on purpose in Miami, the tampering with Brady, Stephen Ross being fined 1.5 million and the loss of draft picks. There was a whole lot of mess in Miami that wasn't Flores fault.

This is an awesome hire! It will be interesting to see if the right moves are made to give Flores the players he needs to run his aggressive defense. 

Now they need 4 or 5 young impact players.

I like it. Now lets see what he can do next season with no Hicks, Kendricks, PP, Sullivan, or Harry.  At least Flores won't have everybody just sit there in soft zone for 17 games.  If something or someone isn't working, it will be changed.

Great hire for the Vikings and for Flores.

Flores is only 41 years old.

Yes he was a head coach and   as experience that is a massive advantage.

FWIW this will be his first job as Defensive Coordinator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Flores

As a coach:
 He has a big time opportunity to draft, develop and build a Top 10 defense in Minnesota. 

Given the roster and salary cap  it will take him longer than a single season to do it.\

Maybe for both him and the Vikings that's  a good thing......

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JR44" said:
Pretty hypocritical of the organization to get rid of Zimmer and RS cause of relationship issues and then you hire a guy who is the most abusive coach in the league.  Total BS.  
Most abusive coach?  Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression the reason he was fired was cuz he blew the whistle on the Dolphins FO for tanking (and they were mad he started winning with their shitty roster that year) and didn't get along with Tua? 

Dude can coach and has a fiery personality.  Doubt KOC would hire the guy if he didn't think he was a culture fit.
You can't fire Zimmer for the reasons given and then hire a guy with a reputation for being even more abrasive.  I think this was more of a Kwesi move than a KOC move. 

https://thespun.com/top-stories/report-w...ian-flores
“There were plenty of players who liked and admired Flores, and let’s be clear about that. But his arrogance and bristling personality rubbed some the wrong way. A close associate of multiple young Dolphins said the players complained to him that ‘he doesn’t understand dealing with men. He’s not approachable.’ When Flores saw one young player in recent months, he told him: ‘Don’t come to my office talking about playing time.’ The player had no such intentions. But multiple sources said he treated players different ways; a veteran such as Jason McCourty wouldn’t be treated with that same heavy hand. ‘He was stern with some but joked around with some guys,’ the source said. ‘It was hard to read him.'”
I can tell you he wasn't thought of this way in Miami. The players stood behind him when he got into it with the idiot owner of the Dolphins and thought he got a raw deal. The guy can coach defense. To accuse an owner of trying to lose games and then still be able to coach in the NFL proves that. If you think any coach isn't going to rub a few of today's players the wrong way, you're not understanding the dynamic today.

Flores was my top choice, mostly because of what I saw, heard and read from the Miami Herald and friends here that are Dolphin fans. He does trend toward the no bullshit side of things for sure. Bristly at times, no doubt. Not a bad thing for a D coach IMO. 

Wow, so we CAN have nice things? I thought we were going to have to scour the high school ranks to find a DC willing to take over our crap roster. 

Now bring Cam Sutton with you.