Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get the party started ...
Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
And how many of those Super Bowls were won by the GOAT Tom Brady? KC has maybe the future GOAT playing quarterback in Patrick Mahomes, so when you get lucky attempt to draft and hit on historically great quarterbacks....it makes everything else a lot easier. Philly was built on them getting lucky attempting to draft and hitting on Hurts, having him under a rookie deal, and having the ability and cap room to add pieces around him like AJ Brown. None of the 49ers quarterbacks are on big money deals. Lance and Purdy are on rookie contracts and Jimmy G was on a one-year deal where his cap hit was 12 million dollars. Cousins cap hit was 31 million last year and his cap number for this upcoming year is 36 million and we have to slice 24 million in cap space with roster holes everywhere. 

So yes, I agree there are different ways to build a roster depending on where you are at with quarterback but right now we are in no man's land. Let me ask everybody, how competitive do you honestly think we will be next year cutting a lot of these veteran players that have been rumored cuts? Right now, I think we are going to be behind the Lions and the Bears in the division and Green Bay is a wild card depending on Rodgers. It's time to hit the reset button as the sensible thing to do. I advocated for it last season with the new regime coming aboard, but now we are really getting towards that time. And again, the turnaround can be quick and doesn't have to take 5 to 10 years as long as we hit on draft picks and add some young parts in free agency. And we do have the golden child as our GM making these choices right, so what do we have to lose?
The way you "get lucky" is that you draft QBs and then your system is designed to maximize their production.  We haven't "gotten lucky" because we don't attempt to draft QBs at a high enough rate for us to hit on them.  We have so much offensive talent that almost any QB could succeed in it with a quality offensive coaching staff, we just need to try and draft a few QBs.  It might take a couple of drafts to hit on a QB, but it's a numbers game, and we can't just draft 1 QB a decade and hope it works out.

I think the outcome next year depends much more on who we bring in as DC than it does who is on the roster.  I think we could win a SB with about the talent we have on this roster if it was well coached.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
And how many of those Super Bowls were won by the GOAT Tom Brady? KC has maybe the future GOAT playing quarterback in Patrick Mahomes, so when you get lucky attempt to draft and hit on historically great quarterbacks....it makes everything else a lot easier. Philly was built on them getting lucky attempting to draft and hitting on Hurts, having him under a rookie deal, and having the ability and cap room to add pieces around him like AJ Brown. None of the 49ers quarterbacks are on big money deals. Lance and Purdy are on rookie contracts and Jimmy G was on a one-year deal where his cap hit was 12 million dollars. Cousins cap hit was 31 million last year and his cap number for this upcoming year is 36 million and we have to slice 24 million in cap space with roster holes everywhere. 

So yes, I agree there are different ways to build a roster depending on where you are at with quarterback but right now we are in no man's land. Let me ask everybody, how competitive do you honestly think we will be next year cutting a lot of these veteran players that have been rumored cuts? Right now, I think we are going to be behind the Lions and the Bears in the division and Green Bay is a wild card depending on Rodgers. It's time to hit the reset button as the sensible thing to do. I advocated for it last season with the new regime coming aboard, but now we are really getting towards that time. And again, the turnaround can be quick and doesn't have to take 5 to 10 years as long as we hit on draft picks and add some young parts in free agency. And we do have the golden child as our GM making these choices right, so what do we have to lose?
The way you "get lucky" is that you draft QBs and then your system is designed to maximize their production.  We haven't "gotten lucky" because we don't attempt to draft QBs at a high enough rate for us to hit on them.  We have so much offensive talent that almost any QB could succeed in it with a quality offensive coaching staff, we just need to try and draft a few QBs.  It might take a couple of drafts to hit on a QB, but it's a numbers game, and we can't just draft 1 QB a decade and hope it works out.
I agree you have to take a swing, but the problem with the Vikings is we've always been good enough to not be in reach to take a swing. We have not drafted in the top 3 since 1968 and only once in the history of our franchise have we drafted a young signal caller who was thought to be a franchise QB and that was Daunte Culpepper 23 years ago. I think the Vikings have the most wins by any NFL franchise having never won a super bowl. So yeah, in the current state of the franchise the smart thing to do is rebuild but the Wilf's will never sign off on it and leave us in mediocre purgatory. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I agree you have to take a swing, but the problem with the Vikings is we've always been good enough to not be in reach to take a swing. We have not drafted in the top 3 since 1968 and only once in the history of our franchise have we drafted a young signal caller who was thought to be a franchise QB and that was Daunte Culpepper 23 years ago. I think the Vikings have the most wins by any NFL franchise having never won a super bowl. So yeah, in the current state of the franchise the smart thing to do is rebuild but the Wilf's will never sign off on it and leave us in mediocre purgatory. 
Top QBs are available throughout the draft.  Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the 20's, Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, Brady in the 6th, Mahomes was drafted 10th by a team who was slotted at 27.  If you aren't going to take a shot you don't get a chance at a stud.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Top QBs are available throughout the draft.  Aaron Rodgers was drafted in the 20's, Russell Wilson in the 3rd round, Brady in the 6th, Mahomes was drafted 10th by a team who was slotted at 27.  If you aren't going to take a shot you don't get a chance at a stud.
I agree with you, but I think picking in the top 10 and having the opportunity to draft what's considered the top talent without giving up the farm in a move up helps.