Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get the party started ...
The 2022 season is still going on (without us). But just because the NFL is still stuck in 2022 (says everyone not still in the playoffs) that does not mean we can't start thinking about FA and the draft. I know it's early - we don't even have a DC at the moment. Who cares? What FAs (not with the Vikings) are you potentially interested in? My first list in no particular order:
D-Line: Javon Hargrave and Daron Payne;
O-Line: Ethan Pocic; Ben Powers; and Isaac Seumalo.

Every time that I watch Cincinnati their MLB, Germaine Pratt is making a play. He's about to be an UFA. If we switch back to a 4 - 3, I would like to see Minny take a run at him.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
Every time that I watch Cincinnati their MLB, Germaine Pratt is making a play. He's about to be an UFA. If we switch back to a 4 - 3, I would like to see Minny take a run at him.
Pratt is really good. I wonder what it would take to get him. He can play the pass, too. I think he could play in any defense.

Al-Shahir, 51# of the Niners.  That guy can also play, would love to have that speed and attitude in the LB core

Al-Shaair is coming off a 1 year contract at $4M. I suspect he will want a raise. But he should not be too expensive.

i just cant get excited for FA since we need to unload about 1/3 of our starters to even get to the point where we can think about shiny new things.  just like every year,  lots of nice names up for grabs in January,  that arent there when FA begins,  even if we could afford to be players.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
i just cant get excited for FA since we need to unload about 1/3 of our starters to even get to the point where we can think about shiny new things.  just like every year,  lots of nice names up for grabs in January,  that arent there when FA begins,  even if we could afford to be players.
I'm not too concerned about our cap situation. If there is one exec on this team that I have faith in, it is Rob Brzezinski. There certainly are contracts on this team that are clearly out of whack right now, but I doubt that comes as any surprise. That was all planned for in advance. KAM did not look pained or panicked when asked about needing to extend JJ - even though everyone knows that JJ is about to become the highest paid WR in NFL history. Not a problem. I think we can all look forward to FA and the draft without a sense of dread or gloom.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I'm not too concerned about our cap situation. If there is one exec on this team that I have faith in, it is Rob Brzezinski. There certainly are contracts on this team that are clearly out of whack right now, but I doubt that comes as any surprise. That was all planned for in advance. KAM did not look pained or panicked when asked about needing to extend JJ - even though everyone knows that JJ is about to become the highest paid WR in NFL history. Not a problem. I think we can all look forward to FA and the draft without a sense of dread or gloom.
Thats been said for the last few years,  but of you of you look back the franchise is slowly sinking further into the cap abyss.   Brez is good,  but he can't create cap space,   eventually the hens come home to roost and you have to pay for barn space.  The can kicking will eventually hurt the team amd imo the longer they kick this medicine can the more it will hurt.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Thats been said for the last few years,  but of you of you look back the franchise is slowly sinking further into the cap abyss.   Brez is good,  but he can't create cap space,   eventually the hens come home to roost and you have to pay for barn space.  The can kicking will eventually hurt the team amd imo the longer they kick this medicine can the more it will hurt.
We're not going to have the cap space of the Chicago Bears, but then again, we did not just have the worst record in the NFL. If we need to trade, release, or restructure Thielen, Kendricks, H. Smith, and Cook, I don't see that as chickens coming home to roost. Players get old and at some point they cannot play up to their contract. That is just life in the NFL. But the notion that the Vikings suddenly looked around and found themselves in cap hell is unduly pessimistic. I don't see that. 

If you want to argue that we are in a bad spot because we will never get anywhere with Kirk Cousins, and we do not have a franchise QB on the roster, and we are not in a position to go get one, that's a reasonably pessimistic position. I may not agree wholeheartedly, but I would concede you may well be right. But I do not believe that our cap position is a significant problem.

The bigger problem will be we are going to have WR making QB money so we will likely need a franchise QB on a rookie deal. We don't have that.