Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings will have the #23 pick in the draft
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Things will change in the coming months but #23 is a decent spot considering the number of DBs that will come off the board between 20 and the end of the round. Lots of ability to choose their DB if they have a preference. 
If they use theat pick on another DB, I'm going to lose it. We are going to have so many other roster holes to fill that taking another DB would be inexcusable. You sink or swim next season with Dantzler, Evans, Booth, Cine, Bynum, and all these other young guys we've invested in. 
Agree, it's time we invest in our trenches.  Why are Philly and SF so good?  They have a good OL and a deep stable of DL.
The big caveat I put on that is draft positioning. Building the trenches should always be near the top of the list. But NFL DE/DTs are historically either taken in the top 10-12 picks or in the middle rounds where you take athletic projections that put it all together. Philly, SF, and Dallas all fit that mold as well. 

This FO didn't sink them from a DB perspective. But depending how they handle P2 & Duke Shelley they're going into 2023 with Cam Dantzler on an expiring deal, Evans, and Booth. Who is a sure thing in that group? Yes, they took Cine last year but I don't think that's a reason to eliminate DB. 

Its an option. Nothing more than that. 
Gotta agree with the others on this one. No, our secondary was not great this year. But that's mostly due to the fact that Evans, Booth, Cine and Dantzler were hurt most of the season. We definitely need CB help, but considering the ridiculous youth at the position, I'd probably try to add a mid-tier veteran, along with a round 2-4 draft pick. 

What we do in the 1st depends so much on who the new DC is, what scheme we run, and where the holes remain after free agency.

Your point about value is well taken though. At 23 you're probably looking at the 5th best Edge, whereas you can probably draft the top ILB in the draft there. If we don't resign Tomlinson, I think the pick has to be DT. ILB and WR are also strong possibilities IMO. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Things will change in the coming months but #23 is a decent spot considering the number of DBs that will come off the board between 20 and the end of the round. Lots of ability to choose their DB if they have a preference. 
If they use theat pick on another DB, I'm going to lose it. We are going to have so many other roster holes to fill that taking another DB would be inexcusable. You sink or swim next season with Dantzler, Evans, Booth, Cine, Bynum, and all these other young guys we've invested in. 
Agree, it's time we invest in our trenches.  Why are Philly and SF so good?  They have a good OL and a deep stable of DL.
The big caveat I put on that is draft positioning. Building the trenches should always be near the top of the list. But NFL DE/DTs are historically either taken in the top 10-12 picks or in the middle rounds where you take athletic projections that put it all together. Philly, SF, and Dallas all fit that mold as well. 

This FO didn't sink them from a DB perspective. But depending how they handle P2 & Duke Shelley they're going into 2023 with Cam Dantzler on an expiring deal, Evans, and Booth. Who is a sure thing in that group? Yes, they took Cine last year but I don't think that's a reason to eliminate DB. 

Gotta agree with the others on this one. No, our secondary was not great this year. But that's mostly due to the fact that Evans, Booth, Cine and Dantzler were hurt most of the season. We definitely need CB help, but considering the ridiculous youth at the position, I'd probably try to add a mid-tier veteran, along with a round 2-4 draft pick. 

What we do in the 1st depends so much on who the new DC is, what scheme we run, and where the holes remain after free agency.

Your point about value is well taken though. At 23 you're probably looking at the 5th best Edge, whereas you can probably draft the top ILB in the draft there. If we don't resign Tomlinson, I think the pick has to be DT. ILB and WR are also strong possibilities IMO. 
I can roll with this. Imagine a guy like Ika in the middle of our defense. Heck, I'd advocate drafting him even if we re-signed Tomlinson. ILB has to be up there too. Some good prospects from that position group.

If Anthony Richardson, the Fla. QB is there, the Vikes should run to the podium with that pick. AR is as physically talented as any QB in this draft but is raw as hell. Sit him behind Kirko in 2023 & hand him the reigns in 2024. For the first time in a long time, we'll have a QB who can extend a play with his legs. Use the remaining picks to address 2023 needs.

CB is a high priority. Booth, Evans, Dantzler & Shelly will be on the team next year for no other reason than they're on cheapie contracts & the Vikes are tight against the cap. Adding an inexperienced rookie to secondary isn't ideal. As MB stated, CB should be a FA target. While I'm not opposed to bringing back PP, my preference would be to shop around for a CB younger than 30.

I'll use the same argument for ILB if we stay in a 3 - 4. If Asamoah has one spot, putting another rookie next to him is less than ideal. ILB & CB s/b FA targets.

If the Vikes don't draft AR & assuming they resign Tomlinson, an OLB/DE that can rotate into the pass rush would be my preference. I would give a long look at BJ Ojulari from LSU.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Wetlander said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I can roll with this. Imagine a guy like Ika in the middle of our defense. Heck, I'd advocate drafting him even if we re-signed Tomlinson. ILB has to be up there too. Some good prospects from that position group.
Was just thinking that a player like Dexter Lawrence for our DL might have the biggest impact. Ika might be the closest thing in this draft. 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
If Anthony Richardson, the Fla. QB is there, the Vikes should run to the podium with that pick. AR is as physically talented as any QB in this draft but is raw as hell. Sit him behind Kirko in 2023 & hand him the reigns in 2024. For the first time in a long time, we'll have a QB who can extend a play with his legs. Use the remaining picks to address 2023 needs.

CB is a high priority. Booth, Evans, Dantzler & Shelly will be on the team next year for no other reason than they're on cheapie contracts & the Vikes are tight against the cap. Adding an inexperienced rookie to secondary isn't ideal. As MB stated, CB should be a FA target. While I'm not opposed to bringing back PP, my preference would be to shop around for a CB younger than 30.

I'll use the same argument for ILB if we stay in a 3 - 4. If Asamoah has one spot, putting another rookie next to him is less than ideal. ILB & CB s/b FA targets.

If the Vikes don't draft AR & assuming they resign Tomlinson, an OLB/DE that can rotate into the pass rush would be my preference. I would give a long look at BJ Ojulari from LSU.
You got me at QB. I am amazed by the college/draft insights many on this board have. Thanks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

20. Ika, DT, 6-4, 358
22. Addison, WR, 6-0, 175
23. Johnston, WR, 6-4, 215
24. Smith-Njigba, WR, 6-1, 200

No LBs in this one, but I've seen Sewell and Simpson in the 20s in some rankings. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
DB, really?  Is this a purple Twilight Zone episode where we spend high picks on db's year after year, even through coach/g.m. changes, yet still come in every spring deciding to draft yet another pricey db?

It's downright creepy.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/

20. Ika, DT, 6-4, 358
22. Addison, WR, 6-0, 175
23. Johnston, WR, 6-4, 215
24. Smith-Njigba, WR, 6-1, 200

No LBs in this one, but I've seen Sewell and Simpson in the 20s in some rankings. 
Drew Sanders is a guy I like (https://www.profootballnetwork.com/drew-sanders-lb-arkansas-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/). Former 5 star, played at Alabama before transferring to Arkansas. He was an Edge guy before moving inside, and was still able to provide a good pass rush presence. A guy like that could definitely help.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
DB, really?  Is this a purple Twilight Zone episode where we spend high picks on db's year after year, even through coach/g.m. changes, yet still come in every spring deciding to draft yet another pricey db?

It's downright creepy.
Honestly, I'll lose my shit if the team selects another 1st round DB. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@comet52 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

It's downright creepy.
Honestly, I'll lose my shit if the team selects another 1st round DB. 
Just dont lose it near me.