Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9-2: Can You Believe It?!
Quote: @"badgervike" said:
I'm still not sold on Kwesi or Donatell as DC.  The draft this year was a straight up mess...and that's on Kwesi.  He's been good with his veteran acquisitions so maybe he needs a draft assistant or more input from others.  Donatell always seemed like a poor man's Fangio...and it's even more odd because Fangio is available.  He's doing some consulting for the Eagles.  Admittedly, Donatell is implementing a new system...with some aging pieces so I can't say the lack of success is entirely surprising.  We really needed a better draft and I haven't seen enough in Booth or CIne yet to feel confident the calvary is on its way next year.
They did try to hire Fangio, but he didn't seem to want to take on a DC role this year. I do agree that the early returns on the draft have not been great. Both Cine and Booth are on the IR. Ingram has started all season, but has had plenty of struggles in pass protection. Asamoah looks like an interesting player, but he has not seen the field much. Evans has been a pleasant surprise and I am hopeful he can play at the same level when he gets healthy. After that Chandler looks like he could be a good backup RB that could maybe replace Mattison next year. We'll see how those guys progress, but through one draft Kwesi moved around a lot but doesn't have much to show from it and next year, we will have fewer picks, so they really need to hit on those.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I thought it was an 11-12 win roster. But as we saw last year, it doesn't matter how much talent you might have on your roster if you're plagued by injuries and bad coaching. 

I thought adjusting to the new schemes would be a wash with opponents unprepared for those new schemes. I think that's about right. I thought Bradbury would be better and make us re-think his contract, and that's been true.

Couple positive surprises....

• Thought we'd improve situationally but not completely flip the script like we've done. 
• Patrick Peterson is having a much better year than I thought he would. Really thought he was done
• Darrisaw. For a 2nd year player to have the kind of year he's having is a pleasant surprise. 

Couple negative...

• ISJ injured AGAIN. But somehow we were able to turn that negative into a positive. Would we be as good right now if ISJ doesn't get hurt? I don't think so. 
• I thought the defense could be mid-level, but it's bottom level
• Thought KJO would have a bigger impact
Yeah, I thought Peterson was beyond done as well.  His veteran presence in that room has been huge.

Darrisaw flashed last year, but had no idea how good he could be.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Despite the intense KJ Osborn love here, I think he's just a guy. Not bad by any stretch but just meh. He's made a few nice plays for the team over the last 2 years for sure. Its tough to shine as the #3 WRer, admittedly. But he in no way has #2 ability IMO.
This is where I've always been with Osborn and why I felt like drafting a receiver early this year would have been beneficial. Osborn is not someone who is going to keep DC's up at night worrying about, he's really just another guy. Thielen isn't the same guy either, aging, and on the books for a large cap hit the next two seasons. He is realistocally on the roster for one more year where he will be 33 years old. I would have felt a whole lot better about things having Jameson Williams on the verge of returning for the stretch run this season and into the future. Instead we take a f'n safety who was running 4th on our depth chart before blowing out his ankle. There is just no good way to spin Kwesi's first draft, it's been a disaster, and the lack of impact is going to hurt this team 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Despite the intense KJ Osborn love here, I think he's just a guy. Not bad by any stretch but just meh. He's made a few nice plays for the team over the last 2 years for sure. Its tough to shine as the #3 WRer, admittedly. But he in no way has #2 ability IMO.
I think we're just now starting to see the offense open up a little. First half was JJ or bust. He was the security blanket. But as Cousins becomes more and more comfortable in this system, Dalvin, AT, KJO and TJH will become bigger pieces in it. 

Can KJO be a #2? Obviously depends on the team. Not in Cincinnati, but have you seen the WR rooms in Chicago? Detroit? Houston? Atlanta.....?
https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/15...34944?s=20&t=pSPDyTUENi1bQb1OOJ-4cw
That has a lot to do with the two guys ahead of him, don't ya think? There are 64 ones and twos in the NFL. To be ranked right on that border ain't too shabby considering the other targets in this offense. I think there are at least a handful of teams for whom he would be a WR2. 

@"badgervike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
I think we're just now starting to see the offense open up a little. First half was JJ or bust. He was the security blanket. But as Cousins becomes more and more comfortable in this system, Dalvin, AT, KJO and TJH will become bigger pieces in it. 

Can KJO be a #2? Obviously depends on the team. Not in Cincinnati, but have you seen the WR rooms in Chicago? Detroit? Houston? Atlanta.....?
That has a lot to do with the two guys ahead of him, don't ya think? There are 64 ones and twos in the NFL. To be ranked right on that border ain't too shabby considering the other targets in this offense. I think there are at least a handful of teams for whom he would be a WR2. 
Yep...but near last of those receivers in passer rating and PFF grade...when you know he's never going against a double team like the others above him?

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"badgervike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Yep...but near last of those receivers in passer rating and PFF grade...when you know he's never going against a double team like the others above him?
None of the receivers in that range are going to see much double coverage. Actually, since defenses can barely afford to double the WR1, I doubt many of the receivers ranked between 33 and 64 (presumably, the WR2s) see much double coverage either. 

I think KJ's numbers reflect the plays being called for him too. He is the third, fourth and sometimes fifth option. Not really sure what some people expect but I believe he's doing his job well.

@"badgervike" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

And in reality, I think TJ is probably ahead of him as well.

I think this odd cut-off line is another death by stats.

I don’t hold anything against KJO or similarly Thielen.  I think the offense is pretty clearly
designed to feed Jefferson first, Hockenson is the safety blanket, and everyone
else is struggling to get touches.  I
like to think that KJO and Thielen will get more touches once Cousins gets a
better grasp of the offense, but I’m not sure that’s going to happen.  It’s just too easy to go to JJetta or
Hockenson and just never make it to the 3rd/4th read, especially
on those days where the OLine is struggling. 
I think in previous offenses, different receivers would be the primary
read on different plays, but on this offense JJetta is the primary read on
almost every play.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
I don’t hold anything against KJO or similarly Thielen.  I think the offense is pretty clearly
designed to feed Jefferson first, Hockenson is the safety blanket, and everyone
else is struggling to get touches.  I
like to think that KJO and Thielen will get more touches once Cousins gets a
better grasp of the offense, but I’m not sure that’s going to happen.  It’s just too easy to go to JJetta or
Hockenson and just never make it to the 3rd/4th read, especially
on those days where the OLine is struggling. 
I think in previous offenses, different receivers would be the primary
read on different plays, but on this offense JJetta is the primary read on
almost every play.
There's some 'Randy Ratio' in this thing. When JJ isn't open, Cousins still throws it to him sometimes and it's working out. As I mentioned about a month ago, Cousins is still processing this new offense.....he can be a tick slow to recognize. He'll get better.