Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
9-2: Can You Believe It?!
I pretty much thought this was a rebuilding season filled with new coaching staff growing pains.  I confidently pegged this team as a 8-10 win team that would most likely miss any chances at the postseason, including the last wild card spot.  Now the Vikes could clinch the NFC North title as soon as next weekend. Are you freaking kidding me?
No way did I see this coming, and I'm not sure many others did either, including the Vikings (or Packers - lol).  These heroic wins have really changed my usual "doom and gloom" attitude I've been groomed to expect in 4th quarters of prior years.  We'll see how far down the line this wagon can go, but I know I'm enjoying the ride.
I'm a firm believer that December football is where you want to start peaking to ascend into the playoffs making this next month a significantly exciting one for Viking fans.

Anyone else admittedly pleasantly surprised by this season?
SKOL!

I am and have said as much since way back in October...  it's been a fun year, I think O'Connell has shown he has a chance to be one of the new bright young coaching minds in the NFL.

This season has definitely exceeded my expectations.  Now it's all about just keeping perspective.  Yes, we're not a "great" team (yet), but we're gritty and have given me hope that even if we're down, we'll find a way to win it in the end.  I don't know if some of our issues can be corrected THIS year, but the future is bright and I won't count this year's team out until the end.

Very pleasantly surprised and have said so thru this 9-2 run. The demolition by the Cowboys was a real kick in the nuts, but they rebounded against a decent team. No way to expect this type of season with 2 new systems on both sides of the football. They've won games in ways that Minnesota rarely ever wins them, in a very un-Viking like clutch manner that's been a fun ride. The team seems close and the culture is good. I feel positive about the new HC and GM. Not sure I could reasonably have asked for more as a fan thus far.

I think Wetlander captured my perspective on the team well...

There aint no trophies for 9/2, I hope they dont piss down their leg in December as this team has shown it's willing to do too often.

But maybe a KOC led team will be different?

I think gritty (not griddy) captures this year well. 

I highly doubt any of us realistically predicted this after 11 games. I am amazed at the success they have realized.

I pegged their ceiling at 9 wins. Definitely enjoying this ride. However, given the number of starters that are over 30 years old, I am concerned that it's not sustainable.

I'm surprised for sure, but when you consider how many close games we've played and lost the last couple years then you'd figure a couple small tweaks could have yielded these kind of results because we have talent. OConnell has done a very good job and we've been lucky on the injury front (mostly). As excited as I am about our record, there are a couple things dampening my enthusiasm;

- I was highly critical of our draft strategy and some of the players we drafted. So far it's played out about how I expected and I think not getting any meaningful, quality contributions from any of the rookie class is going to hurt us as the year goes on. 

- The two games we lost, we got absolutely throttled by two of the better teams in the conference and we would likely be huge underdogs against San Francisco. We are a good team, but not in the "class of the conference" conversation. 

- Donnatell 

I thought it was an 11-12 win roster. But as we saw last year, it doesn't matter how much talent you might have on your roster if you're plagued by injuries and bad coaching. 

I thought adjusting to the new schemes would be a wash with opponents unprepared for those new schemes. I think that's about right. I thought Bradbury would be better and make us re-think his contract, and that's been true.

Couple positive surprises....

• Thought we'd improve situationally but not completely flip the script like we've done. 
• Patrick Peterson is having a much better year than I thought he would. Really thought he was done
• Darrisaw. For a 2nd year player to have the kind of year he's having is a pleasant surprise. 

Couple negative...

• ISJ injured AGAIN. But somehow we were able to turn that negative into a positive. Would we be as good right now if ISJ doesn't get hurt? I don't think so. 
• I thought the defense could be mid-level, but it's bottom level
• Thought KJO would have a bigger impact

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I thought it was an 11-12 win roster. But as we saw last year, it doesn't matter how much talent you might have on your roster if you're plagued by injuries and bad coaching. 

I thought adjusting to the new schemes would be a wash with opponents unprepared for those new schemes. I think that's about right. I thought Bradbury would be better and make us re-think his contract, and that's been true.

• Thought we'd improve situationally but not completely flip the script like we've done. 
• Patrick Peterson is having a much better year than I thought he would. Really thought he was done
• Darrisaw. For a 2nd year player to have the kind of year he's having is a pleasant surprise. 

Couple negative...

• ISJ injured AGAIN. But somehow we were able to turn that negative into a positive. Would we be as good right now if ISJ doesn't get hurt? I don't think so. 
For me Za'Darius is one of the years bigger surprises

DH and KJO are both on my bigger negative list
 - You're much more impressed with DH in this scheme than I am

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Couple negative...

For me Za'Darius is one of the years bigger surprises

DH and KJO are both on my bigger negative list
 - You're much more impressed with DH in this scheme than I am
Teams are doubling Hunter, not Z. Still, he ranks top 15 ish in sacks and top 5 ish in pressures. He's also the highest graded player on our defense. 

Why is Z a surprise? Hasn't he always been a really good pass rusher?