Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is nothing against Cousins, but.....
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
I think it's just about who's available when we draft. I'm not opposed to drafting a QB, but I think we should probably extend Cousins again, let him grow in this new offense for a couple years. I think that gives us our best chance for a championship. Ideally, we have the right young QB developing in the pipeline over that time. 
can the team afford to keep extending cousins?  we are currently carrying cap hits into 2 future years to make his ballooning salary work without having to take to many hits at other positions.  With JJ and TJ both needing new deals,  and the team already over the projected cap for 23,  how much more can the team afford to kick down the road before they have to start letting quality younger players walk?  yes we will likely get some relief from Harry, AT, Kendricks, and a few others,  but there are already other needs to fill with cap space to keep this team competitive.  If KC wants to keep playing for the Vikings IMO he needs to play for a more team friendly deal,  or its time for the team to move on after 23.  IMO the only way they rework his deal after this season is if he agrees to future years at current money so that his % of the cap drops in years he is actually active for.  No more cap being spread into years not under contract IMO.
We can for a while. I would expect an extension to drop his cap number. I would also expect JJ's first year or two of his contract to have a manageable cap number. So they can coexist for a couple of years, as we presumably compete for a championship. 

But something will have to give 2 or 3 years down the road. Hopefully there's a championship in there somewhere. Other places to look would be Harry, Cook, Thielen...
the only way we can afford him,  and his cap # be lower, ( and the means without long term cap implications by moving his guaranteed money into future non playing years)  is if he is willing to play for less,  which to date hasnt really happened.  they've done cap gymnastics to make it look good for a season here or there,  but his % of available cap (per season played)  has stayed at or near the top of the market since he came to MN.

We are having a good season,  but I dont consider this roster "championship caliber"  I think the ass kickings we have received by the iggles and the cowboys tend to out shine the record and OT win over the bills.   lots and lots of work to do on D, as well as the O,  and we are likely to create more holes or question marks this offseason by issuing those veteran ultimatums to the guys that we all list as places to find more caps space by re-working existing deals.  IMO Kirk himself is one that should be taking a pay cut to stay with the team, if he refuses then you know right there that you need a different QB for the future so why continue down a road you've been on with only marginal success?  rip that bandaid off,  and be ready to move on after 23.
When I say championship caliber I just mean a team that is in the hunt, a team you don't tear down, but keep adding pieces to. And we're certainly that, and will continue to be for a few years. As far as the blowouts go, remember that the last two Super Bowl winners were blown out in similar fashion earlier in the year. 

Regarding your first paragraph, Cousins has and will continue to get market value. And KAM will keep paying it, because he has to. We will move on from Cousins only when we have a better option. And that's not likely to happen any time soon. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
I think it's just about who's available when we draft. I'm not opposed to drafting a QB, but I think we should probably extend Cousins again, let him grow in this new offense for a couple years. I think that gives us our best chance for a championship. Ideally, we have the right young QB developing in the pipeline over that time. 
can the team afford to keep extending cousins?  we are currently carrying cap hits into 2 future years to make his ballooning salary work without having to take to many hits at other positions.  With JJ and TJ both needing new deals,  and the team already over the projected cap for 23,  how much more can the team afford to kick down the road before they have to start letting quality younger players walk?  yes we will likely get some relief from Harry, AT, Kendricks, and a few others,  but there are already other needs to fill with cap space to keep this team competitive.  If KC wants to keep playing for the Vikings IMO he needs to play for a more team friendly deal,  or its time for the team to move on after 23.  IMO the only way they rework his deal after this season is if he agrees to future years at current money so that his % of the cap drops in years he is actually active for.  No more cap being spread into years not under contract IMO.
We can for a while. I would expect an extension to drop his cap number. I would also expect JJ's first year or two of his contract to have a manageable cap number. So they can coexist for a couple of years, as we presumably compete for a championship. 

But something will have to give 2 or 3 years down the road. Hopefully there's a championship in there somewhere. Other places to look would be Harry, Cook, Thielen...
the only way we can afford him,  and his cap # be lower, ( and the means without long term cap implications by moving his guaranteed money into future non playing years)  is if he is willing to play for less,  which to date hasnt really happened.  they've done cap gymnastics to make it look good for a season here or there,  but his % of available cap (per season played)  has stayed at or near the top of the market since he came to MN.

We are having a good season,  but I dont consider this roster "championship caliber"  I think the ass kickings we have received by the iggles and the cowboys tend to out shine the record and OT win over the bills.   lots and lots of work to do on D, as well as the O,  and we are likely to create more holes or question marks this offseason by issuing those veteran ultimatums to the guys that we all list as places to find more caps space by re-working existing deals.  IMO Kirk himself is one that should be taking a pay cut to stay with the team, if he refuses then you know right there that you need a different QB for the future so why continue down a road you've been on with only marginal success?  rip that bandaid off,  and be ready to move on after 23.
When I say championship caliber I just mean a team that is in the hunt, a team you don't tear down, but keep adding pieces to. And we're certainly that, and will continue to be for a few years. As far as the blowouts go, remember that the last two Super Bowl winners were blown out in similar fashion earlier in the year. 

Regarding your first paragraph, Cousins has and will continue to get market value. And KAM will keep paying it, because he has to. We will move on from Cousins only when we have a better option. And that's not likely to happen any time soon. 

which is me saying you pay it this year and then hope you hit in the draft with somebody to replace him after 23,  if you dont then you worry about it after that,  but I dont see the need to make him an offseason contract priority,  the focus needs to be on his replacement and not his contract.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:

which is me saying you pay it this year and then hope you hit in the draft with somebody to replace him after 23,  if you dont then you worry about it after that,  but I dont see the need to make him an offseason contract priority,  the focus needs to be on his replacement and not his contract.
Agree...we won't extend Cousins this offseason, but we could draft his eventual replacement. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
With QB being by far the most important position on the field, I am always a fan of drafting a QB unless you have a young elite QB like Mahomes, Allen or Herbert.  I was hoping the new regime would get a new QB, but I think Cousins has done a great job this year, in my opinion maybe not his best statistical year since he has been here, but his best year by far, because he is getting it done when we need it, so glad he is back.  He will be 35 next year, so it is a really tough call, if we extend him, I think we can be more lax and see if someone falls, but if not, we definitely need to be aggressive in what seems to be a rich QB draft.  
Rick's legacy is the opposite of that.  His biggest failure was never drafting any real potential QB when he had his starter picked out.

With our defense trending in the wrong direction, it's going to be tough to ignore those positions of extreme immediate need for the QB of the future, especially with diminished draft stock.

Kwesi just needs to draft the next Mahomes. Easy right? 

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Right? 

Or at least not pass on Mahomes and draft Trubisky instead.

He just needs to find a way to get the #1 pick in 2024 when Caleb Williams comes out, he is the closest to being Mahomes like that I have seen.  

Or Josh  Allen.