Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEAM BUILDING WIN TODAY . . . on the road, vs bad calls
I have stated before I think the Oline is going to continue to improve as the year goes on.  However both Cleveland and Ingram got push around.  I will give Darrisaw a pass on the one where he let the D end go to pick up blitzer and Cleveland didn't come over to pick up.  I do think blocking schemes will improve with Hockensen on the edges as he gets a better feel, however,  they still weren't getting the push I would want to see at this point in the season.  I thought they were making progress and then reverted a bit.  

Quote: @Kmerry82 said:
I have stated before I think the Oline is going to continue to improve as the year goes on.  However both Cleveland and Ingram got push around.  I will give Darrisaw a pass on the one where he let the D end go to pick up blitzer and Cleveland didn't come over to pick up.  I do think blocking schemes will improve with Hockensen on the edges as he gets a better feel, however,  they still weren't getting the push I would want to see at this point in the season.  I thought they were making progress and then reverted a bit.  
Agreed - but as others have pointed out those DT's for Washington are exemplary.  Cant imagine what they're like as a unit with a healthy Chase Young in the mix?

What concerns me is that the next 2 teams we play have exemplary DL's as well. 

They have to do a better job of protecting the QB. I think I read where he got blasted 11 times yesterday - that aint sustainable!! 

I think we’ve had enough of these get the wins despite not playing
super great type games.  I do agree that
they do help build confidence.  That said,
I think we need to get a couple of games where we play solid throughout the game,
rather than taking 40 minutes off on offense. 
This game would have had an entirely different feel if we had strung
together  2 more drives that ended in even
just FGs.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
Anyone questioning Cousins' worth after this game should turn in their fan card. Guy was getting blasted all game and still stood tall in the pocket and delivered a perfect long ball to JJ when we desperately needed it. He again put that ball where only Cook could catch it in the end zone for the tie. Stone cold.
That throw to cook puzzles me tho.  Not the placement or the amazing one handed grab, but Cousin's throw.  He looked off and just floated it up there with bad form.  Either he can make great throws without great form or it was just one of those plays.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
This team, week after week is continuing to gel.  Their 4th quarter point differential is 2nd best in the league so they know how to close. 
I can't get over how the '22 Vikings are the complete opposite of the '21 Vikings. Pert'near the exact same team, with one big difference: the thing we struggled with so much last year is the thing we excel at this year. 
Not to nitpick but we have new schemes and 7 new starting Defensive players so it is not near the same team at least IMO.  
The core of this team is exactly the same. It's Cousins, Dalvin, JJ, Adam, the OL, Hunter, Tomlinson, Kendricks, Harry, Pat, etc, etc. Sure we added some pieces like we do every year--Woods, Pierce and Vigil became Sullivan, Phillips and Hicks--but the only meaningful additions were Z, and now Hockenson.

The bottom line is that we did NOT rebuild. And for a very good reason. Because they were smart enough to recognize that the biggest problem wasn't talent on the roster. It was situational football. It was Mike Zimmer. 
We disagree, we rebuilt the D but clearly not the whole team.  It was a partial rebuild focused on one side of the ball and new scheme.   I don't think anyone wanted a complete tear down and rebuild like the Bears did and continue to do.  As you know, I was for trading Kirk if we could find someone and get value, It's not like if we moved on from Kirk anyone would have said let's redo most of the offensive players to surround a new QB.  Water-under-the-bridge at this point but I consider our Def a rebuild. 

Quote: @minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@minny65 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Skodin said:
This team, week after week is continuing to gel.  Their 4th quarter point differential is 2nd best in the league so they know how to close. 
I can't get over how the '22 Vikings are the complete opposite of the '21 Vikings. Pert'near the exact same team, with one big difference: the thing we struggled with so much last year is the thing we excel at this year. 
Not to nitpick but we have new schemes and 7 new starting Defensive players so it is not near the same team at least IMO.  
The core of this team is exactly the same. It's Cousins, Dalvin, JJ, Adam, the OL, Hunter, Tomlinson, Kendricks, Harry, Pat, etc, etc. Sure we added some pieces like we do every year--Woods, Pierce and Vigil became Sullivan, Phillips and Hicks--but the only meaningful additions were Z, and now Hockenson.

The bottom line is that we did NOT rebuild. And for a very good reason. Because they were smart enough to recognize that the biggest problem wasn't talent on the roster. It was situational football. It was Mike Zimmer. 
We disagree, we rebuilt the D but clearly not the whole team.  It was a partial rebuild focused on one side of the ball and new scheme.   I don't think anyone wanted a complete tear down and rebuild like the Bears did and continue to do.  As you know, I was for trading Kirk if we could find someone and get value, It's not like if we moved on from Kirk anyone would have said let's redo most of the offensive players to surround a new QB.  Water-under-the-bridge at this point but I consider our Def a rebuild. 
Wow. 

Quote: @Chuckf said:
@minny65 said:
Back to the OP title

I agree that this is a team building win and the best one since the Packer victory.  Being down 10 in the 4th quarter after having the better team performance was a gut check and they passed it.

Washington's DL was all world today without Chase young and Kirk was abused and he hung tough and delivered when most needed.  The catch by Cook should also be highlighted because even though accurate many RBs would not have caught that.  

Anyway, we made the plays on "all" sides of the ball including coaching to snatch that victory from defeat.

Edit/add - let me add that we continue to not beat ourselves which has been a trademark so far under KOC.  We only had 5 penalties and the 1 turnover which was basically an end of half hail mary to JJ who had a chance.  JJ didnt catch many of those 50/50 balls yesterday but credit to the DB from Minnesota he played very well against him

I think that win gives us full confidence that we can win in Buffalo who has been slumping.
JJ was completely mugged on that end of half pass.  In NO WAY is that not DPI.  Corner did NOT even LOOK back at the ball and had BOTH hands on JJ's arms and his facemask in his chest before the ball got there.  TERRIBLE no call.   That CB was constantly interfering, holding, illegal contact on JJ and only called once for it.
It’s kind of like when Moss was here and the officials would basically let guys maul him because he was so good, or at least it seemed that way. 

Quote: @Kmerry82 said:
I agree with most of what you said. What stuck out to me was that Cleveland and Ingram looked like they had never seen a stunt before. Completely out of position leaving gaping holes for their linemen to just take potshots at Cousins all day. I honestly thought this was going to be the game he got knocked out for some real time. It was brutal.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@Kmerry82 said:
I agree with most of what you said. What stuck out to me was that Cleveland and Ingram looked like they had never seen a stunt before. Completely out of position leaving gaping holes for their linemen to just take potshots at Cousins all day. I honestly thought this was going to be the game he got knocked out for some real time. It was brutal.
This. I don't think our IOL are getting physically outmatched. They're just getting fooled by stunts and blitzes. Repeatedly. 

[Image: il_fullxfull.1673962330_dd23.jpg]