Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, what pieces are missing ?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Sounds like more than a few Viking fans don't want a Super Bowl winning team. They want a perfect team. A team without flaws. 

What do Kendall Blanton, Greg Gaines, Ernest Jones, Troy Reeder, Darious Williams, David Long, Nick Scott and Taylor Rapp have in common? Other than the fact that they're all pretty crappy players, they were all starters in the last Super Bowl. 

Hey boomers, it's not 1974 anymore. 

Not looking for perfection. In fact, I thought we were already in pretty good shape offensively. My worry is stopping teams like the Eagles, Chiefs, Bills, and 49ers. Not sure we have the horses to hang with those teams, and if we're going all in, it seems we have more pressing needs on that side of the ball. Hockensen seems like a luxury pickup.

ISJ is out for 2 months and we're down to practice squad recruits to be forced into action.  The Hockenson trade filled a legit need and a homerun because financially it worked out.
This team doesn't have an elite D, but overall they're decent and improving.  I agree the Vikes aren't ready for the SB, but this team is gaining confidence each week.  I think playoffs are a real possibility now; especially if they win against Washington.
a real possibility "now", like they werent at 5-1?  Honestly after the start we had going into the bye week if this team managed to miss the playoffs from 5-1 my head would have exploded.  I am of the notion that anything short of the NFCN title and a top 2 or 3 finish in the NFC would be a disappointing end to this season with the start we've had.  Anything less than that better have some major injuries tied to it, otherwise it means that our O and D didnt make the growth that they should have down the stretch IMO.
Jimmy, I know better than to count my chickens before they hatch.
Washington has won 3 in a row and I fully expect another nail biter on Sunday.   I wouldn't be shocked to see the Vikes lose on the road, then drop the next 2 after that against the Bills and Dallas.  November might not be so kind as October was to the Vikes. 

I agree they "should" win the NFC North.
I love them, but don't trust them... yet - SKOL!

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"HappyViking" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Sounds like more than a few Viking fans don't want a Super Bowl winning team. They want a perfect team. A team without flaws. 

What do Kendall Blanton, Greg Gaines, Ernest Jones, Troy Reeder, Darious Williams, David Long, Nick Scott and Taylor Rapp have in common? Other than the fact that they're all pretty crappy players, they were all starters in the last Super Bowl. 

Not looking for perfection. In fact, I thought we were already in pretty good shape offensively. My worry is stopping teams like the Eagles, Chiefs, Bills, and 49ers. Not sure we have the horses to hang with those teams, and if we're going all in, it seems we have more pressing needs on that side of the ball. Hockensen seems like a luxury pickup.

ISJ is out for 2 months and we're down to practice squad recruits to be forced into action.  The Hockenson trade filled a legit need and a homerun because financially it worked out.
This team doesn't have an elite D, but overall they're decent and improving.  I agree the Vikes aren't ready for the SB, but this team is gaining confidence each week.  I think playoffs are a real possibility now; especially if they win against Washington.
a real possibility "now", like they werent at 5-1?  Honestly after the start we had going into the bye week if this team managed to miss the playoffs from 5-1 my head would have exploded.  I am of the notion that anything short of the NFCN title and a top 2 or 3 finish in the NFC would be a disappointing end to this season with the start we've had.  Anything less than that better have some major injuries tied to it, otherwise it means that our O and D didnt make the growth that they should have down the stretch IMO.
Jimmy, I know better than to count my chickens before they hatch.
Washington has won 3 in a row and I fully expect another nail biter on Sunday.   I wouldn't be shocked to see the Vikes lose on the road, then drop the next 2 after that against the Bills and Dallas.  November might not be so kind as October was to the Vikes. 

I agree they "should" win the NFC North.
I love them, but don't trust them... yet - SKOL!
Oh, dont get me wrong, I fully expect them to not meet my expectations and once again leave me disappointed,  and I have no illusions of them going 16-1 or anything like that,  but even if they go 11-6 to finish up the season ( .500 ) the rest of the way,  They should still be in that area that I was talking about,  it would take the packers or bears going 8-1 to even tie us at this point (the lions would have to win out)  and even if those teams went 8-1 they would have to beat us to have the tie breaker,  really it would take a monstrous collapse to lose the division at this point.  Now the top 3 seeding could be another matter,  but we have a shot still at both the cowboys and giants with both games at home,  the east seems like the beast this year and they have to play each other at least one more time so I really think there is a lot of shaking left to be done in the east standings.

Im not looking for chickens, although I love me some broasted chicken,  but as this team continues to win,  I am going to be raising that bar.

SKOL brother!

@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Just saying this offense was already pretty loaded, and Mundt, while not a household name, isn't a steaming pile. Hockenson is surely an upgrade, but IMO not the missing link or the most pressing need in closing the gap between us and the legit super bowl contenders.

I think on offense we’re pretty well set and the limitations
are on Cousins and KOC gelling.  On
defense, I have no idea what’s going on. 
I can’t tell if our scheme sucks or if we’re running something because
we have limitations or if we just need to gel or what.  I just don’t have an understanding of what we’re
trying to do on a regular basis to know what the problems are.  That said, the path to a SB could either be
by improving the offense to unstoppable status or getting our defense to
average or better status.  I think we
have the talent on offense to be unstoppable if Cousins is capable of
executing.  On defense, who knows.  I feel like if we can get some veteran clutch
plays on defense we can beat anyone. 

My vikings view.   

O-line is starting to maul people.  If the Arizona game is of things to come,  if we can get the running game going this offense becomes very difficult to stop especially with Hockenson coming in the fold and putting more pressure on Defenses secondaries.   This offense and team will go as far as this O-line goes.  

Ed Ingram got a bit abused.  Personally who cares.  He has all the talent to be dominant.  Needs to stiffen up and continue to learn.  I honestly think he will improve by leaps and bounds as the season goes on (and not facing watt).   

Defense,  they continue to improve in the new system.   We need more speed is my personal opinion.  Andrew Booth and Asamoah could add some speed as the season continues.   If Hunter can begin to figure things out,  Smith and Hunter can start to wreck havoc.  The running defense seems to be improving, but to me this is the biggest weakness in a playoff scenario.  I think this defense would do better against philly if they faced them a second time but still a work in progress.  

I think this team is a year away from being serious contenders for a Superbowl.  However I really like the progress made.  

@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

And not to mention, with the offense likely to be much more consistent with a TE threat, perhaps we have fewer 3 and outs, thereby helping the D.

I just look at what some of the exemplary TE's can do for offenses across the league, and drool...

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

The way to stop the Eagles, Bills, Chiefs, and Niners is to have an offense that can keep up with them.  Hockenson can help with that by giving us another weapon to pick up first downs, score in the red zone, and make teams pay for trying to give extra attention to Jefferson.  Something we didn't have with Irv or Mundt.

With the way the NFL is favoring offense, I'm surprised some are calling this a luxury pick or lamenting we didnt get defensive help. 

We just got a Pro Bowl TE for the equivalent of a 3rd round pick...  a guy who can help elevate this offense to potentially elite with our collection of offensive talent around Cousins.

You wanna win in the playoffs, you gotta score points...

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

The way to stop the Eagles, Bills, Chiefs, and Niners is to have an offense that can keep up with them.  Hockenson can help with that by giving us another weapon to pick up first downs, score in the red zone, and make teams pay for trying to give extra attention to Jefferson.  Something we didn't have with Irv or Mundt.

With the way the NFL is favoring offense, I'm surprised some are calling this a luxury pick or lamenting we didnt get defensive help. 

We just got a Pro Bowl TE for the equivalent of a 3rd round pick...  a guy who can help elevate this offense to potentially elite with our collection of offensive talent around Cousins.

You wanna win in the playoffs, you gotta score points...
Totally agree.  It
makes all the sense in the world.  This
is an offensive league.  It’s just not
possible to expect any defense to shut down SB Caliber offenses.  You need to be able to stack points on the
board and hope that your defense can slow the other team down enough to get you
the win.  When you have a non-elite QB,
your only real choice is to surround them with enough talent to get the
offensive performance high enough to compete. 
Going through the second half of the season with no real talent at TE
puts a lot of stress on our top 3 WRs to not get injured.  You really need 3+ solid receiving threats,
and getting Hockenson allows us to field a functional offense if one of our
receivers gets injured for a period of time.
Obviously, if there's a game changer on defense, we should also go get that person too.  We're in our window.