Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wins
I just can't get over how different this year is from last year. Not just different, the exact opposite. From 1-3 and playing very well to 3-1 and playing like shit.

The narrative last year at this time was that the Vikings were much better than their record. And it was true, especially as we came to realize just how good the Bengals and Cards were. That narrative would remain through the season. This year it's that they aren't as good as their record...at least it is for me. And I sure as hell hope that narrative doesn't remain. 

I like the winning, but Vikings have to start playing better. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:

Absolutely. From what I've seen, there's a lot of thinking going on out there right now on both sides of the ball. Wrong routes. Kirk is taking just a click longer to process with the new O. D needs to stop the run. I think all of our hopes are it starts to get easier mentally, the talent starts to come through again and all of these fortuitous wins mean something for a good team. I don't know if they are good or not. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I just can't over how different this year is from last year. Not just different, the exact opposite. From 1-3 and playing very well to 3-1 and playing like shit.

The narrative last year at this time was that the Vikings were much better than their record. And it was true, especially as we came to realize just how good the Bengals and Cards were. That narrative would remain through the season. This year it's that they aren't as good as their record...at least it is for me. And I sure as hell hope that narrative doesn't remain. 

I think that is coaching though...  the players were basically playing in the same offense and defense for years under Zimmer (offense was similar from Stephanski to Old Kubiak to Young Kubiak).  

Now it's a new offense, switched to a 3-4 defense...  it's going to take time for our team to get comfortable.  That said, the talent is here and I've been impressed with O'Connell's situational coaching.  It's definitely helped get wins in some tight games.

As we fans we just need to divide the season up into quarters.  First quarter, we went 3-1 and showed some good things and have some things to work on offensively and defensively.  But we saw flashes from both sides of the ball.  Special teams has been excellent so far.  The next 4 games will be telling, hopefully we see more consistently good performances in all 3 phases.  If so, that will set us up nicely for the second half of the season.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I just can't over how different this year is from last year. Not just different, the exact opposite. From 1-3 and playing very well to 3-1 and playing like shit.

I think that is coaching though...  the players were basically playing in the same offense and defense for years under Zimmer (offense was similar from Stephanski to Old Kubiak to Young Kubiak).  

Now it's a new offense, switched to a 3-4 defense...  it's going to take time for our team to get comfortable.  That said, the talent is here and I've been impressed with O'Connell's situational coaching.  It's definitely helped get wins in some tight games.

As we fans we just need to divide the season up into quarters.  First quarter, we went 3-1 and showed some good things and have some things to work on offensively and defensively.  But we saw flashes from both sides of the ball.  Special teams has been excellent so far.  The next 4 games will be telling, hopefully we see more consistently good performances in all 3 phases.  If so, that will set us up nicely for the second half of the season.
Anything less than 3-1 over the next quarter will be a disappointment.  I know the NFL is a tough place to win, but Chi, Arizona, and Washington look meh at best.  Beat those 3, I will gladly take a loss on the road vs an AFC opponent.

6-2 halfway through with a favorable schedule in December (5 out of last 6 we will be rightfully favored)

Ingram is going to be a very good guard, but he's had just a few assignment mistakes. Once he was supposed to be ready to help on a double team with Bradbury and he kind of left him alone, slid over to help O-Neill (who didn't need the help) and it allowed pressure up the middle. He knew he messed up because he kind of kicked the turf, angry at himself. Blitz pickup has been rough to watch.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
We are 3-1 and I'm still not sure if we are a good team or not. Beat a depleted Packers team week 1, barely beat a depleted Saints team today and we clearly have some issues on both sides of the ball. Those couple plays a game we've been coming up short on the last couple years under Zimmer are going our way so far this year, so at least there is that 
Wins and losses are the bottom line no matter the way it came about. But I agree. There is no way to know if they are a good team or a lesser team with some good fortune. They have beat two badly wounded good teams. One handily and the other a bit of a struggle. They also beat the Lions who are better than they were in the past but, still the Lions.
One thing we do know. The Vikings have a lot of room for improvement. With all the new coaches and schemes, I expected them to be 1-3 or 2-2 at best.
To be 3-1 and not playing at their best potential would seem to bode well for this team.

I don't expect a Lombardi, just steady improvement over the course of the season.
Right now, Green bay looks shaky and the Vikings are positioned to be Kings of the North.
We shall see.

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
They are winning games they lost last year and that works for me. 
^^^^^This.

we actually literally won the last two games because our opponent played “Zim Ball”, w/ them playing not to lose, how refreshing is that…!  B) 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
https://twitter.com/eric_j_thompson/stat...3982219267
Cream rises to the top...