Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugly injury for Tua
Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
Some idiot at the bar started laughing when Tua went down because he had a bet on the Bengals. I went completely off on him, as did a few others. I don't give a shit if you have money on the game or are a fan of a specific team, what that guy did was completely inexcusable.
Anyone that cheers on an injury or wishes for an injury is fucked up period. That's just so gross.
Kind of the hypocrisy of our sport though isn't it?  We tune in year round for a game that is basically modern day gladiators.  Most aren't openly joyful like the jerk at the bar,  but deep down I think most all football fans find something in watching our guy wreck the opposing player,  and if it leads to an injury,   well thats part of the game isn't it?  We don't openly cheer the injury,  but we keep tuning in knowing damn well that we are going to see one or more every game.

There's a reason Jacked Up was one of the most popular spots in sports coverage,   it fed something in us deep down that we enjoyed.
There's a difference between a big hit (even one that results in an injury)....and the televised horror we witnessed on Thursday.  

Not sure what Jacked Up is, but I enjoyed doing it when I played. It's different now though. Probably the father in me. 
Exactly. I root for the hit, I don't root for the injury. I have heard fans literally say break his leg. There is a difference. 
We root for the violence that we know leads to injuries,  justify it however we want.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:
Some idiot at the bar started laughing when Tua went down because he had a bet on the Bengals. I went completely off on him, as did a few others. I don't give a shit if you have money on the game or are a fan of a specific team, what that guy did was completely inexcusable.
Anyone that cheers on an injury or wishes for an injury is fucked up period. That's just so gross.
Kind of the hypocrisy of our sport though isn't it?  We tune in year round for a game that is basically modern day gladiators.  Most aren't openly joyful like the jerk at the bar,  but deep down I think most all football fans find something in watching our guy wreck the opposing player,  and if it leads to an injury,   well thats part of the game isn't it?  We don't openly cheer the injury,  but we keep tuning in knowing damn well that we are going to see one or more every game.

There's a reason Jacked Up was one of the most popular spots in sports coverage,   it fed something in us deep down that we enjoyed.
There's a difference between a big hit (even one that results in an injury)....and the televised horror we witnessed on Thursday.  

Not sure what Jacked Up is, but I enjoyed doing it when I played. It's different now though. Probably the father in me. 
Exactly. I root for the hit, I don't root for the injury. I have heard fans literally say break his leg. There is a difference. 
We root for the violence that we know leads to injuries,  justify it however we want.
Doesn't mean people should laugh at someone like what happened Thursday to Tua. 

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
@"1VikesFan" said:

Doesn't mean people should laugh at someone like what happened Thursday to Tua. 
I never implied it did.  That ass that laughed is really a sad testament to what is becoming of our society,  more and more people seem to be desensitized and detached from civility and human decency. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://twitter.com/espn/status/15762772...fusLvme-Qg&s=19
And that boys and girls is called a sacrificial lamb.

yep

Oh it's a helluva lot more than that. One neurologist called the decision to let him go back in the game the week prior "absurd." After displaying classic and obvious signs of head trauma, he was taken off the field for a bit for a head injury. After this prick evaluated him, he changed the injury designation from "head injury" to "back injury." Criminal if you ask me. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Oh it's a helluva lot more than that. One neurologist called the decision to let him go back in the game the week prior "absurd." After displaying classic and obvious signs of head trauma, he was taken off the field for a bit for a head injury. After this prick evaluated him, he changed the injury designation from "head injury" to "back injury." Criminal if you ask me. 

There was a whole week for both the phins and tua to get a second opinion,  I dont see the criminality.  Its not like the team or player have to go out there based on the word of a league doctor. 

If  at any point in the future if Tua files a claim, stateing that there was systemic failure in evaluating his health  by the NFL and his team, he'll win.

Everyone saw it.

I hope Tua is healthy and goes onto live a normal life and nothing comes of this. But some part of me knows  we all just watched a massive lawsuit play out  live on prime time television.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
If  at any point in the future if Tua files a claim, stateing that there was systemic failure in evaluating his health  by the NFL and his team, he'll win.

Everyone saw it.

I hope Tua is healthy and goes onto live a normal life and nothing comes of this. But some part of me knows  we all just watched a massive lawsuit play out  live on prime time television.
as a juror though,  how could you award?  Tua is a person of free will and could have easily gotten his own consultation in the week between the first hit and when he got KOd this week.  If it had been in the same game,  sure,  but the fact that he was evaluated by team doctors and a whole week went by... no way should this be a future legal matter (however I wouldnt be surprised to see it become one if he is labeled as concussion prone and it derails his career.