Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam vs Teddy Revisited
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@dukes said:
The Vikes need to trade Bridgewater while he still has some value. A 1 and a 2 should do it.
The bad part is that Teddy won't recover his trade value until he proves he can play in a game. That may not happen this year. 
Yep, exactly. He won't garner a 1st round pick, IMO, with questions remaining. I think its going to be a tough decision by the Vikings regardless. Younger fans seem to care more about the players than the teams. Bradford could play lights out, get Minnesota to the NFCC game and there'd still be fans that want Bridgewater. 

@dukes said:
The Vikes need to trade Bridgewater while he still has some value. A 1 and a 2 should do it.
The bad part is that Teddy won't recover his trade value until he proves he can play in a game. That may not happen this year. 

That wont happen this year IMO and its a moot point. We sink or swim with Sam and now that the season has started... I just want to win

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@dukes said:
Yep, exactly. He won't garner a 1st round pick, IMO, with questions remaining. I think its going to be a tough decision by the Vikings regardless. Younger fans seem to care more about the players than the teams. Bradford could play lights out, get Minnesota to the NFCC game and there'd still be fans that want Bridgewater. 
Maybe. As I've said all along, it's hard to see a scenario where Teddy stays on this team. Mostly because I fully expect Bradford to play well, given better protection and offensive balance. 

But I don't have a dog in this race. Vikings are my dog. Never understood the whole QB X vs. QB Y bullshit. 

Best case scenario might be Bradford playing at an all pro level, then God forbid, suffering a minor injury late in the year, allowing Teddy to come in and play for a game or two. Teddy lights it up, but the team goes back to Bradford. That would at least restore Teddy's trade value. And could even give the Vikings a little pause on which QB to move forward with. But I suspect if Bradford continues to have a good year, they will extend him during the season. 

This is just fan discussion.  Sam will get an extension and be our qb for five years.  He has earned it. 

Teddy may play again.  He wont replace Sam unless Sam is injured.

@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@dukes said:
Maybe. As I've said all along, it's hard to see a scenario where Teddy stays on this team. Mostly because I fully expect Bradford to play well, given better protection and offensive balance. 

But I don't have a dog in this race. Vikings are my dog. Never understood the whole QB X vs. QB Y bullshit. 

Best case scenario might be Bradford playing at an all pro level, then God forbid, suffering a minor injury late in the year, allowing Teddy to come in and play for a game or two. Teddy lights it up, but the team goes back to Bradford. That would at least restore Teddy's trade value. And could even give the Vikings a little pause on which QB to move forward with. But I suspect if Bradford continues to have a good year, they will extend him during the season. 

I agree with much of what you say.  It's too early to look into my crystal ball, after just one game.  If Slingin' Sam sucks next week in Pittsburgh, then this is all moot.  I do think that the assembled team, scheme, and coaching is better than it has been in years, for a variety of reasons.  But you need a competent driver of the bus, and last week, Sam was it.  

He's always had the pedigree, but with a questionable supporting cast.  

This year, in a best case scenario, Sam takes us down the field, the supporting cast doesn't throw games away, and he earns himself a BIG contract.  Teddy, (love the kid), becomes a valuable asset (whatever that is) for a trade to someone who needs a healthy, smart, young, mobile QB.  If that scenario plays out, Teddy will be gone before the draft, and RS will be sitting with the asset that he was forced to give up to get Bradford.

If Joe Montana and Steve Young could co-exist on the same team for 5 seasons, why can't Sam and Teddy both be with the Vikes for a couple seasons?  Why is it one or the other? Teddy isn't going to make 20 mil a year after that injury, so sign them both and let the best QB get the nod.  One of the two could get traded down the road, if the right offer comes along.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
If Joe Montana and Steve Young could co-exist on the same team for 5 seasons, why can't Sam and Teddy both be with the Vikes for a couple seasons?  Why is it one or the other? Teddy isn't going to make 20 mil a year after that injury, so sign them both and let the best QB get the nod.  One of the two could get traded down the road, if the right offer comes along.
Because you can't tie up over 20% of the cap on one position.  No one does.  Young was signed on the cheap in SF after breaking the bank in the USFL with guaranteed money.  When he pushed Montana, the 49ers picked the younger Young and shipped Montana to KC.  Same reason Brad Johnson had to be traded when Randall Cunningham lit it up for one year in 1998.  Cunningham had to be paid. And after 1998, almost all fans wanted Randall.  He stunk in 1999.

Quote: @Tom Moore said:

Because you can't tie up over 20% of the cap on one position.  No one does.  Young was signed on the cheap in SF after breaking the bank in the USFL with guaranteed money.  When he pushed Montana, the 49ers picked the younger Young and shipped Montana to KC.  Same reason Brad Johnson had to be traded when Randall Cunningham lit it up for one year in 1998.  Cunningham had to be paid. And after 1998, almost all fans wanted Randall.  He stunk in 1999.
Couldn't Teddy be paid a backup QB salary if they throw a big pay day contract at Sam?  Montana wasn't exactly "shipped" to KC.  He played for four years as the starter before leaving the team after getting hurt.  Actually, the last season in SF for Montana, he was Young's backup, I do believe.

My only hope is that they don't ditch Sam or Teddy until the time is right.  What if they sign Sam and let Teddy walk, and then Sam gets injured?  It'd be nice to have a proven starter waiting there.

@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@dukes said:

Lol, thats the worst thing that could happen.  If Teddy lights it up for 2 games at the end it would make the decision on who to keep even more cloudy.  I love Teddy but Sam is our future.  I don't think we'll get anything for Teddy.  He'll be the #2 next year and leave via FA in 2019.  Sam is going to get paid this year.  $20M a season for 5ish yrs

Quote: @Montana Tom said:

This year, in a best case scenario, Sam takes us down the field, the supporting cast doesn't throw games away, and he earns himself a BIG contract.  Teddy, (love the kid), becomes a valuable asset (whatever that is) for a trade to someone who needs a healthy, smart, young, mobile QB.  If that scenario plays out, Teddy will be gone before the draft, and RS will be sitting with the asset that he was forced to give up to get Bradford.
The "asset that he was forced to give up to get Bradford" would be a #1 and #4 pick. I'm doubtful we can recoup that completely: it would require some team who liked Bridgewater coming out of college (but weren't willing to draft him with any of the first 31 picks) to feel his past 4 years (2 14-TD seasons and a devastating injury) have at least maintained or increased his value.

Many of us often forget that Spielman also acquired $11 Million from the Eagles last year - they paid that much of Bradford's 2016 salary because we were at the cap limit. There is no denying the money increased what we had to pay in draft picks, but uncertain how much.