Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam vs Teddy Revisited
I was listening to Chicago sports radio this afternoon and they were talking about teams around the NFL and who had a good weekend and who didn't. Some of the teams they mentioned have bad QB's and have had for a few years now. 
It got me to thinking about this whole Sam/Teddy debate that goes back and forth between some of the fans on this and other boards. No matter who you like in this debate, you have to admit it's good to have guys that are at the very least, decent QB's.
You may not like Sam, but he by no means will ever be a Christian Ponder, Tarvaris Jackson, or any of the 3rd rate QB's the Vikings had actually starting games for them. You may not like Teddy, but he's at the very least a guy you can get behind and have to love his upside if he can overcome the knee injury. 
Look what Houston has gone through over the years with a great defense and nobody to play QB for them. The 49ers signed not one, but two guys that the Bears didnt want anymore. The Bears for God's sake! 
I know everyone wants a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, or even Aaron Rodgers, but those guys are really few and far between. Be glad we have a guy who given time to throw can light up defenses, and a guy who with a little more time could be a guy who plays for a very long time.
I for one would rather be in this position than where this team used to be, searching for a half way decent QB every season and coming up short.

Also, the line played very well last night. It was good to see that progress has been made in that area.

I just want whats best for the Vikings...It's up to Sam if he gets that extension or not, not fan sentiment.

And I know thats not what you were saying Rip Wink

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
I just want whats best for the Vikings...It's up to Sam if he gets that extension or not, not fan sentiment.

And I know thats not what you were saying Rip Wink
I agree, I want what is best for this team. I have always been a Vikings fan, not just a players fan. That's why I had no problem with them cutting Peterson loose. It was a move to make the Vikings better.

People are too emotional about Teddy.  Great guy,beloved by players and fans.  It clouds their evaluation process.

Teddy is younger than Sam, but that may or may not mean he has more upside.  Teddy too was a dink and dunk passer.  People forget that.  Sam has plenty of good years left.  We don't know if Teddy will even fully recover.

Give it a few weeks.  Sam will have a pedestrian game against a top 5 defenses and people will say he's awful - even if the line is the problem.

ill take the one who is consistent, and more than a game manager

I just want to go to the Super Bowl and Sam brings us the best chance right now. Not sure why it is still a debate.

Quote: @"Canthony" said:
 Not sure why it is still a debate.
It's really not...Last I looked, next-up is a guy named Keenum. Now 5 weeks from now? It will be an interesting discussion again Wink

It's not a debate. It's a good problem to have. I think people have short memories when  it comes to the Tarvaris Jackson, Christian Ponder, Matt Cassel, etc., etc. years. That's what the OP was pointing out and is a great point. Those years sucked and now there is some hope at the position the Vikings couldn't seem to solve; QB. They even have a developmental guy with potential. They won this week so I guess Spielman is starting to get it right, lol!

While I think there's room to debate once we've seen more of Bradford and seen Bridgewater at full strength, I don't think there's much debate at all that they both are worthy starters in the league if healthy.  Any debate between the two is really minor given the QBs that many teams are rolling out there.

Wish we could find a way to keep them both happy

The brutal truth is we've never seen a game from Teddy like we did from Sam on MNF. I don't think he has that kind of passing ability. Bradford is just a more talented passer.