Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings open to trading Mattison
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Solid point by Braun. But if this is the case, just keep him. Also, I can't help but wonder if Mattison isn't partly pushing this. He wants to be a RB1 and he knows the Vikings might be very tempted to use Chandler, at least in part, as Cook's relief, diminishing his value in a contract year. 

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...60960?s=20&t=3HxB5O1eJJ2CPaH-IGg0Qg
Agreed. If they can get a 3rd or even 4th then sure, move him, but I doubt those offers are out there. And anything less it’s kind of like eh, just keep him then part ways. By far the most likely scenario I think.

I’m extremely skeptical that a dozen teams have shown interest, at any price. We’ll see what happens but my guess is he plays out the year here. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
Solid point by Braun. But if this is the case, just keep him. Also, I can't help but wonder if Mattison isn't partly pushing this. He wants to be a RB1 and he knows the Vikings might be very tempted to use Chandler, at least in part, as Cook's relief, diminishing his value in a contract year. 

Agreed. If they can get a 3rd or even 4th then sure, move him, but I doubt those offers are out there. And anything less it’s kind of like eh, just keep him then part ways. By far the most likely scenario I think.

I’m extremely skeptical that a dozen teams have shown interest, at any price. We’ll see what happens but my guess is he plays out the year here. 
12 teams if you include those that called to say, "Well if you are going to throw it away..."

Ha, yep. Mattison is a solid player but the trade value of even elite RBs just doesn’t exist in 2022… and Mattison averaged 3.7 ypc last year.

No one’s comparing the two but for ref, Dalvin was at 4.7. There’s a few teams Mattison could be appealing to but would they rather save the pick and sign Kenyan Drake? Spend a little more and get Kareem Hunt? I just can’t see Mattison’s market being that big. More value to keep him around IMO. 

Sony Michel was just released so the market isn't getting better for a trade.

When is trading deadline?

I'd hold onto Mattison until a few starting RBs go down with major injuries in the first 4 weeks.  Someone will get desperate for him.  Where's Rick Spielman when you need him!  

At the same time,  he is a proven commodity with low miles.  Teams can spend a mid round pick and know they are going to get rewarded now  vs using that pick on a mid round question mark for next year.   And if he walks for a bigger payday somewhere else they can still recoup that mid round compensatory pick themselves.  Losing one round of compensation on a mid to later  day 2 pick for a cheap 1 year rental doesn't seem to bad to me.  For the right team that is.

https://twitter.com/VikeFans/status/1564...94373?s=20&t=_2jNZMOCAUj3NJmUzmyhMQ
Its all about the comp pick. It would be stupid to trade him for less then what we’re likely to get as w comp pick when he exits at the end of this year. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Its all about the comp pick. It would be stupid to trade him for less then what we’re likely to get as w comp pick when he exits at the end of this year. 
I will add a couple more thoughts to that: (a) The comp pick is not in the 2023 draft but the 2024 draft.  For value calculation, a year is equal to one round.  So a 2024 4th round pick is currently seen as worth a 5th round pick in 2023.  (b)  Additionally, the comp pick is at the end of the round.  © Finally, the acquiring team is also taking the risk that he will be injured -- sinking his value.  If you are truly digging in, you might also value the 2023 draft more than the 2024 draft (or vice versa).  You may also think that you want more draft capital in 2023 in order to move up to draft that QB you want.  Lots of factors to consider.

So, it is not quite equating his value as what his current comp value is viewed unless you also take into account the year's delay in getting the comp pick and the risk of injury.  Moreover, you have to take into account that Mattison may sink on the depth chart this season which also could hurt his comp pick.

Thus, this may be a case of one (draft pick) in the hand is better than two in the bush (especially if you think highly of the two birds sitting behind him on the roster.

Unless some unfortunate starting RB blows a knee, I don't see a market that would match the comp pick.  He's more valuable to us as a backup than what we'd get in a trade.

@comet52 said:
Well the comp pick would slot at the end of the 4th so even a 4th from some team is a higher pick.   A team would have to want a backup rb bad to give up a 3rd, doesn't seem likely.   
If a team is going to trade for Mattison at all, it would be for him to at least compete for the starting job. And there are several teams out there who need an upgrade at starting RB.
Sure, but from a negotiating standpoint the other team would approach it as trading for a guy who is a backup, not a starter.   If Kwesi can get someone to give up a 3rd I'd say that his best work so far as g.m., but I don't see it happening.