Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hope KC proves a lot of people wrong
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think there are going to be growing pains with Cousins as he learns the new offense. But his head coach is now the man behind the Xs and Os in his playbook. He's also his biggest advocate. That's going to make a big difference. 
I think my bigger concern for the offensive side of the ball will be the play calling.   IIRC KOC hasnt called plays in his career and suddenly being the man on the hot mic might result in a bigger learning curve than what a 10 year pro will see.  I think Kirk might struggle with certain aspects like the receivers being allowed to free lance at times,  but for the most part I expect that we see pretty much the same QB we have seen the last few years.

I think there’s a lot of unknowns and inexperience in the
offensive coaching staff, but we’re one of the more talented offensive rosters.  My gut feeling says we’ll be a top 10 but not
top 5 offensive team, probably pretty similar to last year.  I think if we’re going to be a top overall
team it will be on the back of being an elite offensive team, and I’ll be
tickled pink if they end up elite on offense.

Quote: @medaille said:
I think there’s a lot of unknowns and inexperience in the
offensive coaching staff, but we’re one of the more talented offensive rosters.  My gut feeling says we’ll be a top 10 but not
top 5 offensive team, probably pretty similar to last year.  I think if we’re going to be a top overall
team it will be on the back of being an elite offensive team, and I’ll be
tickled pink if they end up elite on offense.
Best way to get there is to address the OL...which they have tried. If they somehow get a competent center then the running game is really going to take off, thus helping Kirk and the passing game

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
What's actually sad is that it's news that he has a head coach that speaks with him, this time around...!
Not defending Zimmer here,  but who has the better NFL resume,  Zimmer or Spielman?  If zim says the qb ain't gonna work and RS says he will....based on past experience,   who you gonna believe?  Zim was hired based on winning with the D,  he was close but the brain trust decided he needed a high dollar QB and yhat didn't produce and it cost him his D. Again,  not a defense of Zim not being a pro HC,   but at the same time  he was kinda killing it on D until they decided to dump all the cap space and draft picks into  the O.

I think the NFL's focus on offense killed his D.  DBs couldn't press like his D needed and so he had to move to more cover 2 type of D.  Then the CBs he made into stars left for bigger contracts and he was left with rookies and castoffs.  No D is going to do well with what was trotted out to start the last 2 years.

Quote: @SDCAVIKESFAN said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
What's actually sad is that it's news that he has a head coach that speaks with him, this time around...!
Not defending Zimmer here,  but who has the better NFL resume,  Zimmer or Spielman?  If zim says the qb ain't gonna work and RS says he will....based on past experience,   who you gonna believe?  Zim was hired based on winning with the D,  he was close but the brain trust decided he needed a high dollar QB and yhat didn't produce and it cost him his D. Again,  not a defense of Zim not being a pro HC,   but at the same time  he was kinda killing it on D until they decided to dump all the cap space and draft picks into  the O.

One could also say his D was figured out.  Just look at the Philly NFCCG, his defense was in tact the next year but Philly showed how to play Zim and he did not learn to adjust.  The QB was an easy excuse for him.  Remember this is a guy that threw everyone under the bus saying they need to play better never taking the blame for not having the team prepared for big games.  Just look at his record against winning teams. I am in no way a Kirkistanian but I am more than willing to give Kirk a year with KOC and see if he can put it together.  I
I don't see it that Philly figured it out.  We went in with the game plan to limit the RPO short passes of Foles.  It worked, they went 3 and out and we were up 7-0.  Then the horseshoe fell out and the pick6 turned the momentum.  And then we fumbled after a long drive that we really needed as an answer.  Philly had us then.  Our offense died, the Minneapolis Miracle emotion left our team exhauseted and momentum was for the home team.  Philly got aggressive and took some shots on double moves, something they hadn't done with Foles.  Kudos to that coaching staff, they took a negative and turned it into a positive.  Not much film on Foles in that offense was out, so they used that to their advantage.

Remember, they pulled it out even more and beat NE in the superbowl.  It was a magical run.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

I think the NFL's focus on offense killed his D.  DBs couldn't press like his D needed and so he had to move to more cover 2 type of D.  Then the CBs he made into stars left for bigger contracts and he was left with rookies and castoffs.  No D is going to do well with what was trotted out to start the last 2 years.
Agreed. There was a huge chance in offensive schemes and playcalling during his time. I mentioned this a while back, but it was like Thibs when he was in Chicago and then when he came to the T'Wolves. The game changed and what he was good at as a coach was no longer realistic in the NBA. I do think Zimmer was better at his role than Thibs, but Zimmer trusted his guys too long and in the NFL you can't really have loyalty...especially when they're linebackers or defensive lineman not named Aaron Donald.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

he moved to more zone when his studs ceased to be studs.  if he had CBs that could still run with receivers he would have been fine, if he could have stopped the run with the front 4 and not have had to commit Harry into the run stop scheme all the time,  that would have left more bodies in throwing lanes on the back side that would have helped those inferior corners.  yes more emphasis on PI made a difference, but Rhodes decline and Waynes never really becoming a good man defender...well that was an issue, but IMO it all started with the decline of LJ and not being able to stop the run.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

he moved to more zone when his studs ceased to be studs.  if he had CBs that could still run with receivers he would have been fine, if he could have stopped the run with the front 4 and not have had to commit Harry into the run stop scheme all the time,  that would have left more bodies in throwing lanes on the back side that would have helped those inferior corners.  yes more emphasis on PI made a difference, but Rhodes decline and Waynes never really becoming a good man defender...well that was an issue, but IMO it all started with the decline of LJ and not being able to stop the run.
Rhodes decline started when he became a PI magnet and then his planet Xe personality kicked in.  Waynes was much better than he ever got credit for here (see the huge contract).  

But yes, he decline of LJ was the crack in the foundation.  Then Pierce opted out.  

@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

Rhodes decline started when he became a PI magnet and then his planet Xe personality kicked in.  Waynes was much better than he ever got credit for here (see the huge contract).  

But yes, he decline of LJ was the crack in the foundation.  Then Pierce opted out.  
Waynes never learned to find the ball,  he was a sticky defender but he got exposed when good QBs threw at him.

Quote: @JR44 said:
How many NFL QBs would make headlines by sitting in the front for a team meeting?  That is pretty sad that it is even a topic of discussion. 
How many QBs have a group of fans who are mentally ill enough to scour the interwebs for ridiculous reasons to obsessively shit on them? I'm sure other teams fans critiqued their players dodge ball skills at the Pro Bowl as much as the mental midgets critiqued KC's.