Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Peterson is back
Good move to get old man Peterson back in the DB room and locker room too. I have a feeling the Vikings are going to add 2 more db's to the roster this draft. 

These kids need to see how to go about becoming a pro. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Good move to get old man Peterson back in the DB room and locker room too. I have a feeling the Vikings are going to add 2 more db's to the roster this draft. 

I think all position rooms should have that aging stud hanging around to keep the kids in check and show them that it takes hard work to have longevity in this league.   The talent alone gets many to the league,  but only those that learn the study and work side of the game end up making a career out of it.  Only the rarest of rare have enough talent alone to get past their first 4 to 5 years or so.

PP on a team friendly deal is an ideal guy,  hes got the pedigree and experience that these youngsters will recognize and appears to be the type of professional we want our young players to try and emulate.

I agree. I think our 1st pick is still mostly likely going to be a corner. We also need better depth behind Harry I think. And I think both of those positions should be in the first three rounds. 

I agree with consensus it seems. Good, affordable deal at a position of extreme need for us. Even if PP can be league average that’s easily a starter on this defense, no doubt. We are THIN, folks. 

Also agree with those saying the defensive roster looks different, but whether the players are “upgrades” or not very much remains to be seen. I think it’s obvious that on both sides of the ball the biggest difference maker for better or worse is going to be coaching.

I will add that aside from Kirk’s new deal which I understand but am not a fan of, I do like a lot of the deals KAM has made. He seems to be spending thriftily but wisely. Give the Wilfs their “competitive team” this season but don’t bootstrap yourself to guys longterm if you don’t have to. Z. Smith contract especially is smart because if he plays well then we can keep him, if not it’s easy to move on. RS tried a similar approach last year with the one-year deals and it didn’t work. But where some of his moves felt desperate, KAM’s to me do feel smarter. Maybe that’s just me starting to take a tiny sip of the kool-aid, we’ll see.

Last thought- I still think CB is the target at 12. If Stingley is there the tea leaves are telling me it will be him. This signing does nothing to change my mind and in fact reinforces it. If he’s not there then my best guess is Garrett Wilson. I definitely think MIN will go WR on day 1 or 2.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

I think all position rooms should have that aging stud hanging around to keep the kids in check and show them that it takes hard work to have longevity in this league.   The talent alone gets many to the league,  but only those that learn the study and work side of the game end up making a career out of it.  Only the rarest of rare have enough talent alone to get past their first 4 to 5 years or so.

PP on a team friendly deal is an ideal guy,  hes got the pedigree and experience that these youngsters will recognize and appears to be the type of professional we want our young players to try and emulate.
Think about our OL the last few years too (if you can stomach it)...Level of talent aside, there was little to no veteran leadership amongst em.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
meh

I expect they'll include void years.

Looks like a re-run of the same team last year that missed the playoffs.

I can only pray now.
What are you talking about? How many new defensive starters did you want? It’s a one year deal by the way.

The defense now has a new starting DE, a new starting DT, a new starting LB, two new CBs for depth, a new starting G (likely), and a new lineman for depth. 

We will enter the season with Irv Smith currently healthy, same goes for Hunter. We also seemed prepared to enter with a new starting safety in Bynum. It’s not a re-run at all
The new DE is had back surgery last year and only played 18 snaps in week 1 and 19 snaps in the playoff loss to the 49ers.
The starting DT is replacing a starting DT. That move is a push with Phillips being 20 to 30 lbs lighter and 3 years younger.
The starting LB is replacing a starting LB (Barr). Hicks is a few months younger and they are about equal but Hicks might be a better fit on the inside.
Sullivan is an slight upgrade over Alexander who had his worst year last year. Funny that many blame coaching for last year but Mac is still a bum.
Tye Smith may not even make the team.
Jesse Davis played badly at tackle but was kind of meh at right guard in 2018 (or 2019) and for a few games in 2020.
Bynum is worse than Woods and has yet to play 16 games.
Peterson is aight but I think he is heading downhill in his career.

It does not feel like too many upgrades at all.  I look forward to the draft as always but have no expectations from any of the draftees.  Not in the first year.

So, yes, I am praying now.

But I see you.

[Image: 200.gif]

[Image: Zoloft-Addiction-and-Withdrawal-North-Je...517974.jpg]

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
meh

I can only pray now.

How do you add void years to a one year deal?
https://overthecap.com/player/jesse-davis/4512/

[Image: ae2fvx99pdh4.png]
I cant keep up with how shit is reported these days. 75% of the time the numbers posted are shock factor numbers that the player will never sniff. The rest of the time they leave out things like the above mentioned. Thanks for the info. 

PP is a fine CB and a good voice for young CBs.  Having a LSU tandem on the outside could be special, Sullivan playing the slot, Dantzler being a borderline starter at CB4.  I would love to see more of Harrison Hand, much less of Kris Boyd, and Tye Smith has nice physical abilities.  Regardless of the potential of this group, I still believe we are grabbing another corner in the draft (3rd round).

PP - Stingley - Dantzler - Sullivan - 3rd Round Rookie - Winner of Hand, Smith, Boyd as the group

It has potential, especially if we can get after the QB with Smith and Hunter, some pressure from the front 3.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Think about our OL the last few years too (if you can stomach it)...Level of talent aside, there was little to no veteran leadership amongst em.

Somebody might have bought that up in the past.  

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
@"MarkSP18" said:
meh

I can only pray now.
What are you talking about? How many new defensive starters did you want? It’s a one year deal by the way.

The defense now has a new starting DE, a new starting DT, a new starting LB, two new CBs for depth, a new starting G (likely), and a new lineman for depth. 

We will enter the season with Irv Smith currently healthy, same goes for Hunter. We also seemed prepared to enter with a new starting safety in Bynum. It’s not a re-run at all
The new DE is had back surgery last year and only played 18 snaps in week 1 and 19 snaps in the playoff loss to the 49ers.
The starting DT is replacing a starting DT. That move is a push with Phillips being 20 to 30 lbs lighter and 3 years younger.
The starting LB is replacing a starting LB (Barr). Hicks is a few months younger and they are about equal but Hicks might be a better fit on the inside.
Sullivan is an slight upgrade over Alexander who had his worst year last year. Funny that many blame coaching for last year but Mac is still a bum.
Tye Smith may not even make the team.
Jesse Davis played badly at tackle but was kind of meh at right guard in 2018 (or 2019) and for a few games in 2020.
Bynum is worse than Woods and has yet to play 16 games.
Peterson is aight but I think he is heading downhill in his career.

It does not feel like too many upgrades at all.  I look forward to the draft as always but have no expectations from any of the draftees.  Not in the first year.

So, yes, I am praying now.

But I see you.

[Image: 200.gif]
Saying you dont think guys are an upgrade is way different than saying it’s a re-run of the same team. On paper, this defenseis better than the last two seasons. Just need guys to stay healthy
32 year old CB's don't  stay healthy.