Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flowers to visit???
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Davis posted a respectable grade back in2018 when he played full time at right guard.  In 2020, he played right guard for 8 games and was average at pass blocking.  Vikings OL coach Chirs Kuper was the asst OL coach in 2017 and 2018 which were Davis' first two seasons.  I'm guessing familiarity is the reasoning here.

But whatevs.  It likely is around the minimum.  I cannot imagine it would be for more than a couple of mil but he does have experience even if it is bad.

We're desperate here people.
Or $3M... 

The value in Davis is that he can play across the line and projects as a starting RG for the time being. If they improve on him during the draft he's basically in the Mason Cole role of last year. 

This has been a very Spielman-esque offseason thus far put together by Kwesi:

- Sign Cousins to a short term, big dollar extension...check
- Re-sign Mannion...check
- Bring in your Mike Remmers, Mason Cole's and Josh Klines in Schlottman and Jesse Davis...check
- Attempt to plug the hole in the middle of the defense this time with relative unknown Harrison Phillips...check
- Zadarius Smith is the one "big" signing on defense ala Tomlinson...check
- Sullivan is your Mac Alexander...check

Analytics be damned, it really is like trader Rick is still running the show. 
Apparently Spelly knows how to play chess as well Smile

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Davis posted a respectable grade back in2018 when he played full time at right guard.  In 2020, he played right guard for 8 games and was average at pass blocking.  Vikings OL coach Chirs Kuper was the asst OL coach in 2017 and 2018 which were Davis' first two seasons.  I'm guessing familiarity is the reasoning here.

But whatevs.  It likely is around the minimum.  I cannot imagine it would be for more than a couple of mil but he does have experience even if it is bad.

Or $3M... 

The value in Davis is that he can play across the line and projects as a starting RG for the time being. If they improve on him during the draft he's basically in the Mason Cole role of last year. 

- Bring in your Mike Remmers, Mason Cole's and Josh Klines in Schlottman and Jesse Davis...check
- Attempt to plug the hole in the middle of the defense this time with relative unknown Harrison Phillips...check

I get the point, I don't 100% disagree. But I do think there are some key differences. 

1. Kirk's extension is team friendlier than most believe. People just don't take it that way since its Kirk Cousins. 

2. I am not going to write-off the O-line until they get through the draft. This isn't the same O-line where they were signing multiple low-tier players. We can circle back after the draft but I would bet Davis becomes the multi-versatile chess piece who can fill in across the line if there were an injury. 

3. Zadarius Smith is a big defensive signing, but they're spending money on premium positions which is more ideal. 

4. Chandon Sullivan is better than Alexander and you can't blame them for signing any DB at this point. 

This is all to say that they have chosen the path of competing now while keep flexibility for the future. The #1 thing Kwesi has done this off-season is preserved long-term roster flexibility while hoping the coaching staff can get more out of the current roster. Not sure if you follow other MN sports, but I relate this FOs approach to Guerin and the Wild. There is no rush to tear the doors off, but get to know this roster. Then come next off-season move out the pieces that need to be moved and bring in fresh blood. Its more effective in my mind than trading everyone and regretting who you moved. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Or $3M... 

I get the point, I don't 100% disagree. But I do think there are some key differences. 

1. Kirk's extension is team friendlier than most believe. People just don't take it that way since its Kirk Cousins. 

2. I am not going to write-off the O-line until they get through the draft. This isn't the same O-line where they were signing multiple low-tier players. We can circle back after the draft but I would bet Davis becomes the multi-versatile chess piece who can fill in across the line if there were an injury. 

3. Zadarius Smith is a big defensive signing, but they're spending money on premium positions which is more ideal. 

4. Chandon Sullivan is better than Alexander and you can't blame them for signing any DB at this point. 

This is all to say that they have chosen the path of competing now while keep flexibility for the future. The #1 thing Kwesi has done this off-season is preserved long-term roster flexibility while hoping the coaching staff can get more out of the current roster. Not sure if you follow other MN sports, but I relate this FOs approach to Guerin and the Wild. There is no rush to tear the doors off, but get to know this roster. Then come next off-season move out the pieces that need to be moved and bring in fresh blood. Its more effective in my mind than trading everyone and regretting who you moved. 

1. Maybe so, but we only have him for two seasons and he goes into next offseason with a no trade clause. If we don't sign him to yet another extension...was it worth holding onto him and squandering any trade value we would have received for essentially a "looksie" season in the new offense? I'm not convinced it was the right move to make after rebooting the entire front office and coaching staff in an attempt to move bryond mediocrity. I hope it works, but anything other then the playoffs in these next two seasons in a weak NFC would be a complete failure in this decision to hold on to Cousins. The Wilfs are "all in" on Cousins and this roster, so go win us some football games and show the fanbase that you actually know what you're doing this time. 

2. Hopefully that's not at tackle being that Davis was the lowest rated tackle in pass protection last season. He's just another bandaid in case of injury and very reminiscent of past Spielman bandaids on the offensive line without actually fixing the problem. But I'm with you, let's see how the draft plays out...

3. I'm on board with the Smith signing and hope he can stay free from injury.

4.  I honestly don't know a lot about Sullivan. I see he is a 4.6/40 guy who's PFF grade has dropped steadily over the last three seasons to a paltry 55.0 in 2021. Is he better then Alexander? We'll see but I won't hold my breath. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Or $3M... 

1. Maybe so, but we only have him for two seasons and he goes into next offseason with a no trade clause. If we don't sign him to yet another extension...was it worth holding onto him and squandering any trade value we would have received for essentially a "looksie" season in the new offense? I'm not convinced it was the right move to make after rebooting the entire front office and coaching staff in an attempt to move bryond mediocrity. I hope it works, but anything other then the playoffs in these next two seasons in a weak NFC would be a complete failure in this decision to hold on to Cousins. The Wilfs are "all in" on Cousins and this roster, so go win us some football games and show the fanbase that you actually know what you're doing this time. 

2. Hopefully that's not at tackle being that Davis was the lowest rated tackle in pass protection last season. He's just another bandaid in case of injury and very reminiscent of past Spielman bandaids on the offensive line without actually fixing the problem. But I'm with you, let's see how the draft plays out...

4.  I honestly don't know a lot about Sullivan. I see he is a 4.6/40 guy who's PFF grade has dropped steadily over the last three seasons to a paltry 55.0 in 2021. Is he better then Alexander? We'll see but I won't hold my breath. 

1.  You're only kidding yourself if you think when the hiring of KOC and KAM went down that Kirk wasn't discussed and the decision was made with ownership on how to move forward with him.  Furthermore, who's to say there was "trade value" with Cousins?  We've got to have a QB and Cousins isn't the worst choice out there.
2.  We've got 3 of the 5 spots secure.  We need to find a guard and possibly a center on the OL.  I'd guess Bradbary gets another year meaning we've got one starters spot to fill.  Unless you're playing Madden on playstation, I'd guess every team needs at least one new/better starter on their OL.
3.  Gosh I hope so, we've got a TON of money into Smith and Hunter.  If those to gambles don't pan out the season probably doesn't either.
4.  Warm bodies are welcomed right now in the corner back room.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Or $3M... 

This is all to say that they have chosen the path of competing now while keep flexibility for the future. The #1 thing Kwesi has done this off-season is preserved long-term roster flexibility while hoping the coaching staff can get more out of the current roster. Not sure if you follow other MN sports, but I relate this FOs approach to Guerin and the Wild. There is no rush to tear the doors off, but get to know this roster. Then come next off-season move out the pieces that need to be moved and bring in fresh blood. Its more effective in my mind than trading
 everyone and regretting who you moved. 

1.  You're only kidding yourself if you think when the hiring of KOC and KAM went down that Kirk wasn't discussed and the decision was made with ownership on how to move forward with him.  Furthermore, who's to say there was "trade value" with Cousins?  We've got to have a QB and Cousins isn't the worst choice out there.

1. I think there was definitely some initial discussion but it was all dependant on Cousins accepting a contract extension and even up until the combine KAM was saying "Kirk is going to do what's best for Kirk, and we're going to do what's best for the team." There was a report that KAM took a Cousins trade proposal to the Wilfs for approval and they nixed the deal. It was reportedly from the Browns prior to the Watson deal for a package of picks including two second round picks. The Wilfs nixed it because there wasn't a backup quarterback plan in place and they believed they could compete this year with Cousins. So we have Cousins for two seasons with a no trade clause kicking in next offseason. That's why I say that anything other then a playoff run these next two seasons with Cousins, then this extension we signed him to is a complete bust. I think we are going to have some struggles this season adjusting to a new coaching staff and new schemes so we'd essentially have the 2023 season to make a deep run and I hope we have a QB heir apparent in place at some point if we don't extend Cousins yet again. It's just a continual merry go round that I'd just assune not deal with for an above average quarterback. 

@"Geoff Nichols" What are the chances if the Vikes trade down into the 20s and pick up another second rounder that they take Linderbaum? In this scenario I'm assuming their top 3 corners are gone. We have talked a lot about their first pick being DE, DL or CB, but curious if you have heard anything different.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" What are the chances if the Vikes trade down into the 20s and pick up another second rounder that they take Linderbaum? In this scenario I'm assuming their top 3 corners are gone. We have talked a lot about their first pick being DE, DL or CB, but curious if you have heard anything different.
I don't think they'll take Linderbaum even if they trade back. The new coaching staff thinks they can get more out of Bradbury with a few schematic adjustments. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Or $3M... 

The no trade clause is taken out of context. It isn't to say that Kirk wouldn't accept being traded, its the fact he could control where he goes. The way the contract is written with the $20M roster bonus is a mutual option in a way. Vikings are forced to decide his future early in the off-season while Kirk on the other-hand has the control to veto any trade. If they decide to part ways I don't foresee Kirk holding the hammer and not accepting a move. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Or $3M... 

The no trade clause is taken out of context. It isn't to say that Kirk wouldn't accept being traded, its the fact he could control where he goes. The way the contract is written with the $20M roster bonus is a mutual option in a way. Vikings are forced to decide his future early in the off-season while Kirk on the other-hand has the control to veto any trade. If they decide to part ways I don't foresee Kirk holding the hammer and not accepting a move. 

I just don't see it as good practice to give the player the ability to dictate where he wants to go, because where he wants to go might not be in our best interest in trade compensation. It's just Cousins and his agent bending us over a barrel again and limiting our options. It seems like Kirk and his agent are always one step ahead of the front offices he's played for. Bill Polian absolutely ripped the Vikings and Texans on NFL radio for granting "no trade clauses" into player contracts because such clauses were never included in the collective bargaining agreement and sets s terrible precident.

Why did Kirk want that language on the extension, and why did the Vikings grant it on an only 1 year extension? 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@supafreak84 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MarkSP18 said:

Or $3M... 

I just don't see it as good practice to give the player the ability to dictate where he wants to go, because where he wants to go might not be in our best interest in trade compensation. It's just Cousins and his agent bending us over a barrel again and limiting our options. It seems like Kirk and his agent are always one step ahead of the front offices he's played for. Bill Polian absolutely ripped the Vikings and Texans on NFL radio for granting "no trade clauses" into player contracts because such clauses were never included in the collective bargaining agreement and sets s terrible precident.

Why did Kirk want that language on the extension, and why did the Vikings grant it on an only 1 year extension? 
Think of it this way. If the Vikings didn't extend Kirk and retained him he would have been on a $45M cap number with no relief. They drop that by $10M this year and he took a discount and allowed the Vikings some favorable terms in return for a $35M cap number or so in 2023. In-trade Kirk gets to dictate where he is or isn't traded to if they proceed down that path. 

The media is painting the picture Kirk bent the Vikings over another barrel. He did well but did give the Vikings what they were looking for. 

Truth is, trading Kirk this off-season on a $45M cap number was going to take paying a considerable amount of his salary. By the time you did that, paid for the draft picks, and ultimate signed a bridge QB it was going to cost $30-40M. So keeping Kirk was equally the cheapest alternative for superior play. 

The expense of that is they likely won't be able to move him for as much in return if the trade him. Ultimately that is probably ok since you aren't trading him to rebuild at that point. You're trading him to move on.