Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Trade?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@supafreak84 said:
Just my guess, but Kwesi's going to want to build this thing for the long term with he and OConnell's own vision, and that's a long term vision...not just this year. I don't think they will want to drag this on with Cousins or keep revisiting this same issue every offseason. I'm guessing they will try to get him to sign an extension but if the numbers don't work they will trade him. Right now Kirk's let it be known he won't take a reduction in salary. So if that's true, I'd expect him to be traded and for the Vikings to get off the Cousins salary carousel. I think that's the best option but that's also banking on Kwesi and OConnell bringing in their own guy at quarterback and getting it right in the next couple years. That's a big gamble, but its also a gamble shuffling Cousins salary while trying to sign our own free agents and upgrade the overall roster talent. 

Food for thought; Mike Zimmer had a 39-25 record with two division titles before Kirk Cousins got to Minnesota. Did that with Bridgewater, Bradford, and Case Keenum. Zimmers record in four seasons with Cousins...33-31 with zero division titles. We have not been a better team with Kirk Cousins as our quarterback. 
have you seen anything to support that claim?  I saw that on another site,  but there was no linked support so I didnt share it here,  it claimed that we wants a 40 mill per year average if he is going to play ball with the Vikings on an extension to create cap space this year... again NO SUPPORTING EVIDENCE that this was actually said.

I'm basing that statement on that same report and Geoff's commentary that Cousins has no reason to take a reduction in salary. It just makes sense based on all his prior contract negotiations that he wouldn't

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Let me throw a possible trade scenario out there. It's been widely reported the Redskins...err, Commando's will trade "anybody and everybody" to secure a upper level quarterback this offseason. Nobody is off limits. With that in mind, and the fact that they have 32 million dollars in cap space..what about this:

Commanders acquire:

- QB Kirk Cousins
- DE Danielle Hunter

Vikings acquire:

- DE/OLB Chase Young
- 1st round pick in 2022 (11th)
- Conditional 2nd round pick in 2023 that could bump up to a 1st depending on Cousins performance/playing time 

I think this is a move that would be hugely beneficial to both teams. 
Ugh, that would be dreamy.  I would hope we could swing in Heincke for a potential gap QB or maybe thee guy.  

Quote: @Skodin said:
@supafreak84 said:
Let me throw a possible trade scenario out there. It's been widely reported the Redskins...err, Commando's will trade "anybody and everybody" to secure a upper level quarterback this offseason. Nobody is off limits. With that in mind, and the fact that they have 32 million dollars in cap space..what about this:

Commanders acquire:

- QB Kirk Cousins
- DE Danielle Hunter

Vikings acquire:

- DE/OLB Chase Young
- Conditional 2nd round pick in 2023 that could bump up to a 1st depending on Cousins performance/playing time 

Ugh, that would be dreamy.  I would hope we could swing in Heincke for a potential gap QB or maybe thee guy.  

I considered that, but would almost rather give those reps to Mond or a rookie draft pick and sink or swim with them. We know what Heinicke is at this point 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:

Commanders acquire:

- QB Kirk Cousins
- DE Danielle Hunter

Vikings acquire:

- DE/OLB Chase Young

We going to have Mond as our QB? 

It's beneficial if we want to insure a top 2 pick.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:

Commanders acquire:

- QB Kirk Cousins
- DE Danielle Hunter

Vikings acquire:

- DE/OLB Chase Young

I'd probably be okay with that if we didn't draft Kenny Pickett this year, then you start him. At the very least we'd get to see what Mond can do and if he's awful, it probably puts us in the top 5 next year where the QB talent is much better as you know. I just have a hard time believing the Wilfs would hit the reset button on the entire organization without them understanding that this could be a real possibility and we might have to take a step backwards before we could step forward again and move beyond mediocrity. 

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
@supafreak84 said:

Commanders acquire:

- QB Kirk Cousins
- DE Danielle Hunter

Vikings acquire:

- DE/OLB Chase Young

better than the mannion plan they opted for last year if KC had gone down,  and with our OL that was definitely a legit possibility.  Maybe we will be much better than I think,  as somebody pointed out the schedule should be easier.  If Mond can get the reps he needs to be a #1 or @2 then IMO that shouldnt be as much of a concern,  IMO we really learned nothing about him this year as its become very apparent that Zimmer was a petty bitch and sandbagged the shit out of players he didnt want.

Will be interesting to know if KC will have a full option of plays at the LOS to switch to in case our called play is defended pre snap.  Was that a zimmer thing as well?

I'm in agreement with @supafreak84 about Kirk and I do think trading him gives our new coach/GM so much more flexibility to build this team in their own vision. I'd like to see that.
That said, there is no way Washington is shipping out Chase Young in order to bring back Kirk Cousins. Young is the face of their franchise.
I still unfortunately do not buy into this idea that the Vikings are going to get some huge haul for Kirk. Half of our own fans want him gone! Plus, he only has one year left on his deal-- unlike Stafford, Wentz, Darnold, and other recent QBs who were dealt. He's also older than them.
If the Vikings can get a first round pick+ then I will be happy. The fans waffling or outright saying 'no' to hypothetical scenarios involving multiple firsts are in my opinion delusional as to Kirk's value. If he had 3 years left at a good price (like Diggs did) then sure, he'd bring a ransom. But on his current deal? When team's know Merc Kirk can bounce via free agency after just one year? Idk.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
I'm in agreement with @supafreak84 about Kirk and I do think trading him gives our new coach/GM so much more flexibility to build this team in their own vision. I'd like to see that.
That said, there is no way Washington is shipping out Chase Young in order to bring back Kirk Cousins. Young is the face of their franchise.
I still unfortunately do not buy into this idea that the Vikings are going to get some huge haul for Kirk. Half of our own fans want him gone! Plus, he only has one year left on his deal-- unlike Stafford, Wentz, Darnold, and other recent QBs who were dealt. He's also older than them.
If the Vikings can get a first round pick+ then I will be happy. The fans waffling or outright saying 'no' to hypothetical scenarios involving multiple firsts are in my opinion delusional as to Kirk's value. If he had 3 years left at a good price (like Diggs did) then sure, he'd bring a ransom. But on his current deal? When team's know Merc Kirk can bounce via free agency after just one year? Idk.
you eat 10 of this years salary cap for kirk to add value to the deal,  then you make next years pick variable in order to maximize the value.   if you tell a team its 1 this year and they get Kirk for 25 million,  and another 1-3 next year based on his performance, then its a lot easier to get buyers than a straight deal IMO,  also the deal will depend on where this years first is at,  obviously a #6 wont carry as much additional return as a #21 would 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Half the fans want him gone because a good amount think QB wins are a stat, or think we should have rolled with Teddy/Case again, or just didn't want him in general because he's a weird dude who didnt win at Washington. That being said, I think if he's traded it's a sign and trade situation where it's a 3-4 year deal and his 2022 cap hit is reduced. I have no idea what we get in return as it all depends on if it's a QB and picks in return, a different position and picks, or just picks. I think there are a lot of different scenarios that could happen so we will see what the outcome is.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@pattersaur said:
Half the fans want him gone because a good amount think QB wins are a stat, or think we should have rolled with Teddy/Case again, or just didn't want him in general because he's a weird dude who didnt win at Washington. That being said, I think if he's traded it's a sign and trade situation where it's a 3-4 year deal and his 2022 cap hit is reduced. I have no idea what we get in return as it all depends on if it's a QB and picks in return, a different position and picks, or just picks. I think there are a lot of different scenarios that could happen so we will see what the outcome is.
no way its a sign and trade deal IMO.  IIRC arent those really hard to do in the NFL with the way the prorated parts of the contract ( the signing bonus typically) all get rolled into the current year if the player is traded or cut prior to June 1st.  And why would Kirk make it any easier for the Vikings if they are going to flush him anyway, its in his best interest at the point to play hardball, get his 45 million and choosing his own destination to negotiate with.