Commercials
Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Riphawkins" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
The worst part was the gagfest with The Rock opening the game. 
That was embarrassing and I am not sure if the Rock knows it so can you tell him for me Smile

I actually put it on mute and fast forwarded and was shocked how long he went on for.

I liked the talking baby commercial in the beginning/maybe before the game.  Of course, I have no idea what product it was promoting.

Oh and all the electric car commercials...if anyone still thinks electric cars are not the future you are over 85 years old and don't have much time/future remaining anyway.  
They are the future, but only because they are being forced upon us. I’m not necessarily opposed, but it won’t be by choice.
If I lived in a metro area and didnt travel as much for work, they would be fine,  but out in rural America I think we are a ways off yet.  The battery and charging technology needs to be vastly improved before I think we really see the EV revolution take hold in rural America.
Yea EV is not for everyone right now but probably for about 75% of drivers.  The commercials were for high end sports sedans (BMW) but the trucks and SUV's will be out in the market very shortly.

The technology is so far advanced from 15 years ago that almost all the misnomers have all become misinformation.  

The market decides and nothing is being forced upon anyone.  If you don't want one don't buy one and not everything has to have a political slant, like I said the market will ultimately determine with or without gov't support or non support.

Drive one and your mind will change.

Nope, nothing being forced on anyone and choices are good...

As has been said, infra-structure needs to catch-up, protocols across brands provided, batteries and charging systems need to get better/faster/cheaper and a lot of homes are going to need access to level 2 charging overnight. 

EV adoption will absolutely accelerate, but its got a long ways to go still. Solid state batteries are going to be key. 

The EV adoption needs to start paying its way when it comes to highway upkeep.  Roads don't plow themselves, potholes don't fill themselves.  Bridges don't maintain themselves. 
In Indiana you have to pay extra for license plates each year for electric and hybrid vehicles. You don’t pay taxes at the pump, so they make you pay for infrastructure through taxes for plating your vehicles that aren’t gas/diesel.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
its not a political slant at all,  I have been looking at them for a while now,  they just arent there for me due to the miles I drive and the lack of charging options in much of rural America.  I was really interested in the ford f150 EV,  but again the lack of range is concerning,  lots of places I drive that I know I wont have a charging station available and I dont want to be forced to design my sales trips or vacations around hotels with charging stations.  Some of the places I see them popping up just dont make sense to me.  Hy-vee has a bunch,   who shops for groceries long enough to charge their vehicle?

Yes they have come a long way,  and if I drove 60 miles a day,  was in my garage every night so I could have it on a 220v charger,  it would be doable,  but spending time away from a 220v charging system they just arent feasible since they take about a week or 2 on a 110v system to charge back up.

I think one of the biggest drivers for Musk to get into space is new metals and materials to expand the battery tech side of his operations.   we need lighter batteries with long run times and shorter charging periods IMO,  otherwise we need to see a new direction in that we have a small generator in the vehicles to create the power from some other fuel as we drive.
Oh yeah I know it is not a political slant I was directed that at RIP because he used EV was being forced on us.  I'm pretty sure we have had this discussion before and like I said they are not for everyone now.  

I drive a 2014 Tesla Model S for a sales job that covers most of PA and upstate NY out to Buffalo.  I bought the car for several reasons but the main one is that I get paid gas mileage and pay for no gas.  So, I am getting paid to drive an awesome car.  There are Supercharger stations about an hour in every direction from any location and that will be improving down to about within every 40 minutes then 30 and then 20 and it will be in sync with the market shift.  My Model S only gets a full charge of about 250 miles which is not great but that is 2014.  Now, I think the new ones (tesla's at least) get around 400 miles which is usually more than you would get with a tank of gas.  Also, the time it takes to fully charge keeps improving as well.  It was about an hour to get from 0-250 a few years ago and now it is under 45 minutes.  I have become much more productive "administratively" while I wait for charge.  Make phone calls, do my call reporting, expense reports, eat lunch.  It has forced me to become more efficient which was a surprising perk for me because once my sales day is done, I hate coming home to do paperwork.  

I live in a fairly rural area in NE PA and I was one of the first people around here to have the full EV.  The guy who came to put the charger in at my house said he was looking forward to doing it because he had been reading up on them and wanted to install.  A that time, to have the charger installed at my house in the driveway it cost me $550 for the Tesla Charger and another $500 install charge.  I just plug it in every time I get home and then use the app to charge.  I have my charging set vis the app for when the electrical charge is at it's lowest, so it probably charges from like 3-6 in the morning to get back up to the 250....which is over 400 on the new vehicles.  

Everything is improving rapidly in the EV market and now all the biggies are catching up (all those commercials) and that will result in even faster improvement in charging time, location, distance you name it.

You might pay more for an EV up front, but I spend almost nothing on this car.  No engine to maintain, no oil, no exhaust issue, and WOW is this thing fast and fun to drive.  The only thing I really spend money on are tires but they are the same tires I put on my Infiniti, so it is not more.  One big difference, other than gas, that I have saved a lot of money on vs my Infiniti is brakes.  The regenerative braking system in the Tesla is great.  I have 120,000 miles on the Tesla and have not needed to replace the brakes.  I have about 170,000 on the Infinity and I have probably had to put on all new brakes/pads etc at least 7 or 8 times.  I do like to drive these sports sedans hard.  I would conservatively estimate that I have put at least $1800 dollars a year on average into the Infinity over the 10 years I have had it so about $18,000 (tires, brakes, oil, maintenance - not including gas).  My Tesla, in the 5 years I have owned (I bought both a year or two old) I have had 2 sets of Michelin tires so around $1800 total and I did have to pay for one of my doors mechanisms not opening $400....so total about $2200 for 5 years of driving on the Tesla and $9000 every 5 years on the Infinity...not including gas expense.  EV's are not going to have the maintenance cost of gas cars over time.  

That all said, they are currently not for everyone and those that are resistant to change, or new technology will be driving around gas guzzlers because they make a great engine sound Smile Kidding but obviously and not a monster truck gear head like my neighbor across the street who owns 4 or 5 old corvettes....yes we do hang out.
I need the capacity and towing of the full size truck so thats where I am at.  10 hour charging at home isnt the issue, I had actually planned for my new garage to be "pre wired" for future EV charging ports,  its the amount of days a year I spend in hotels and the lack of charging options at hotels.  Tesla is ahead of the curve for sure on charging options,  thus far Fords decision makers arent seeing the forest  because they are still focusing on lame features instead of the practical side of owning an EV.  Trust me,  I am in need of a different truck,  really wanted to go ford (since they didnt take govt bailout money in 09, ( there I made it political Tongue )  and I liked the idea of being less tied to a constantly fluctuating gas price as well as the $70 oil changes every month or so.  When they introduced the LIghtning I was really excited,  but 300 miles on a charge and then it taking a week or two on a 110V connection to refuel is a deal breaker.   If you think people looked at you funny 30 years ago when you asked if they would take a CC... imagine asking a small hotel owner in the middle of BFE,  if he has 220V EV charging station.

I am hearing from Ford EV owners in our area that they arent up to speed yet with their charging stations.  One guy with an electric mustang has had some pretty crappy experiences but they are all around the range and charging limitations,  he loves the EV tech and the car itself.  ( also apparently the range drops quite a bit when it gets cold out? )

I liked the Arnold commercial, although I'll admit I don't remember what it was for.

Batteries dont like it when its above or below 72 degrees...Lots of energy, tech and weight spent keeping the batteries optimal temp. 

And yes, batteries hate cold and hi-way driving...You can expect a 30% or more reduction in mileage in cold temps like where we live. 

Quote: @"Riphawkins" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Riphawkins" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
The worst part was the gagfest with The Rock opening the game. 
That was embarrassing and I am not sure if the Rock knows it so can you tell him for me Smile

I actually put it on mute and fast forwarded and was shocked how long he went on for.

I liked the talking baby commercial in the beginning/maybe before the game.  Of course, I have no idea what product it was promoting.

Oh and all the electric car commercials...if anyone still thinks electric cars are not the future you are over 85 years old and don't have much time/future remaining anyway.  
They are the future, but only because they are being forced upon us. I’m not necessarily opposed, but it won’t be by choice.
If I lived in a metro area and didnt travel as much for work, they would be fine,  but out in rural America I think we are a ways off yet.  The battery and charging technology needs to be vastly improved before I think we really see the EV revolution take hold in rural America.
Yea EV is not for everyone right now but probably for about 75% of drivers.  The commercials were for high end sports sedans (BMW) but the trucks and SUV's will be out in the market very shortly.

The technology is so far advanced from 15 years ago that almost all the misnomers have all become misinformation.  

The market decides and nothing is being forced upon anyone.  If you don't want one don't buy one and not everything has to have a political slant, like I said the market will ultimately determine with or without gov't support or non support.

Drive one and your mind will change.

Nope, nothing being forced on anyone and choices are good...

As has been said, infra-structure needs to catch-up, protocols across brands provided, batteries and charging systems need to get better/faster/cheaper and a lot of homes are going to need access to level 2 charging overnight. 

EV adoption will absolutely accelerate, but its got a long ways to go still. Solid state batteries are going to be key. 

The EV adoption needs to start paying its way when it comes to highway upkeep.  Roads don't plow themselves, potholes don't fill themselves.  Bridges don't maintain themselves. 
In Indiana you have to pay extra for license plates each year for electric and hybrid vehicles. You don’t pay taxes at the pump, so they make you pay for infrastructure through taxes for plating your vehicles that aren’t gas/diesel.
depending on how hard they pop a person that might end up being a big hurdle in some states for people that want an EV,  but dont put a lot of miles on it.  The other thing I am kind of curios to see learn more on is the disposal costs, or depreciation.  you get to the end of life on a normal vehicle, you dump the fluids throw it on a trailer and sell it at a scrap yard.  what do you do with an EV that has some massive battery pack hidden in it?

From a first responder standpoint,  I would like to see some standardized way to cut the power to these things.  in the olden days you just disconnected the 12v battery and proceeded to extricate,  then the era of air bags and safety glass came into being and that changed the game a bit,  but with the EVs and the makers using different places to route their power cables,  cutting into a vehicle to get the occupants out isnt nearly as simple as it once was,  and with the push to make everything lighter,  we dont see vehicles being nearly as robust as they once were.

EDIT:  Rabbit hole:  Since I was looking again there is more pricing information out on the F150 now,  however this is a real buzz kill,  while the costs for the base EV F150 is pretty competitive,  the range is only about 230 miles,   they offer an extended battery that would get you to about 300 miles,  of course the upcharge for that option is about 20K... thats gonna keep that thing priced out of most peoples range IMO.

XLT – Starting at $52,974Personal-use buyers will start to pay attention at the XLT trim level. This adds liveability features, including an 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and keyless entry. It also includes a 360-degree camera and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. A 2.4-kilowatt version of the ProPower Onboard system that lets the truck function as a mobile power source for tools is standard equipment.
It features the same powertrain as the Pro. It’s possible to order one with the extended-range battery getting up to 300 miles of range. But that requires an eye-popping $19,500 upcharge – nearly the cost of an entire Ford Maverick.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Batteries dont like it when its above or below 72 degrees...Lots of energy, tech and weight spent keeping the batteries optimal temp. 

And yes, batteries hate cold and hi-way driving...You can expect a 30% or more reduction in mileage in cold temps like where we live. 
I live in the Pocono Mountain area which has a high elevation, cold, windy and I drive fast on the highways - all things that batteries do not like.  The rating on the EV's (or Tesla at least are based on perfect conditions) That all said I don't see a 30% reduction even now with single digits the last two weeks. I would say around 20% on a single digit, teens day up here in the mountains.  So, my 265 charge will only get me in the 215 range.  Those are extreme conditions of elevation, speed, temp.  So, if I am driving through the mountains of PA on a 50-degree day I see very little difference but once it starts dipping down into the 30's yes, the miles go fast.  But I am sure they market will help drive that improvement as well.  Again, mine is a 2014 so a drop from 265 to 215 is a bigger deal than if I had the newer model that gets 400 miles that drops down 320 which is still a full tank of gas. 

Overall, in my 5 years of ownership, the benefits of my car far far outweigh any of the issues that have been raised but to each his own.  If you are resistant to change or new technology I completely understand.  These are not for everybody right now, no doubt.  I did not buy this for any earthy crunchy reason at all - I like the speed, the ride, low maintenance, and I get paid gas mileage ($$$) I feel like I am being paid to drive the best car I have ever driven after 30 years of about 40+ vehicles (company cars every year and have usually owned 2 or more personal vehicles).  As far as the gov't mandates, politics and all the other BS - ya know we still give oil companies subsidies so it all the same crap with everyone one with their hand out to be rewarded by who they know.  I ignore all that and let capitalism do its magic and let the consumer market decided.  

I can only speak to my experience with my EV I don't really follow what the other companies EV issues are vs Tesla's.  Actually, I don't really follow Tesla technology because I am just hoping this car might be the last car I ever own.  My driving 25K+ miles a year are over so driving this car now is just pure enjoyment.  

Minny what is the cost per charge--or are you calculating fuel cost/charging as a push and there fore omitting that cost.
Up here in Ak. I can't wrap my mind around owning one due to distances and extended periods of single to double digits below zero.  And I'm curious how much a charge-up costs at these recharge stations hits someone

Quote: @"Akvike" said:
Minny what is the cost per charge--or are you calculating fuel cost/charging as a push and there fore omitting that cost.
Up here in Ak. I can't wrap my mind around owning one due to distances and extended periods of single to double digits below zero.  And I'm curious how much a charge-up costs at these recharge stations hits someone
I did the math on the F150 I was considering.  assuming about a 3-5% battery recharge point,  to completely full (131kw was my starting size)  it worked out to be about $15 per charge at .11 per KW that we pay.  Now if my REA wasnt paying attention,  I could wire that load onto the electric heat side of my system and then it would be about half that since that rate is about .06 per kwh.  figuring that gas is around $3.25 here currently it is a pretty significant savings over gas... as long as you can get back to a charger before you run out and need to call a tow truck.

I am curious on the battery packs,  I have seen Teslas estimate that they can go 300,000K miles,  but I have also seen reports that harsh driving conidiations and climates can reduce that significantly and it can cost over 25K to have the batteries replaced,  I know it is currently about $7500 to get a new engine put in my truck so ?  plus and minuses to both.

Oh I am not change resistant at all...I'm all for EV expansion, but realize its not for everyone. The German automaker I work for is placing big $$ bets on EV and so I gotta know these back/forward as our roll-out commences. 

As far as charging goes, rate can and will vary by municipality. Smart charger systems (and owners) will take advantage of potential lower rates charging at 3 am (vs 5 pm) etc.

There is a lot for people to learn as they get into ownership in this space - changes in behavior. I suspect a lot them will go into it blind. 

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
I liked the Arnold commercial, although I'll admit I don't remember what it was for.
It was an electric car, kia I think.