Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed, Edward, Eddie, It's Donatell
I know Kendricks didn't have a great year this past year, but I would be bummed if we traded him. He's so dang tough in coverage. Then again, do what you gotta do to be competitive on both sides of the ball

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
[Image: dBD2A6j6_bigger.jpg]
With Ed Donatell hired as the Vikings' new DC, Minnesota will almost certainly be running a 3-4 defense for the first time in a long time. It's going to be very interesting to see what that means for their roster construction this offseason.
Thats good news - Everything I was reading the past week said he was hired by the Seahawks as their DC / DB coach or some "senior" coaching roll - In fact some sites said he was hired! LOL! Sorry Seattle! 

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
I know Kendricks didn't have a great year this past year, but I would be bummed if we traded him. He's so dang tough in coverage. Then again, do what you gotta do to be competitive on both sides of the ball
Kendricks is a badass and I predict he will be a stud in a 3-4, especially if he gets to play the weakside spot.  That said he wasnt dominant last year and early 30’s may catch up to him. 

I have confidence that Pierce, Tomlinson, Watts and Lynch will keep him clean enough to do what he does. 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Kendricks is a badass and I predict he will be a stud in a 3-4, especially if he gets to play the weakside spot.  That said he wasnt dominant last year and early 30’s may catch up to him. 

I have confidence that Pierce, Tomlinson, Watts and Lynch will keep him clean enough to do what he does. 

They couldn't keep him clean last year and we were awful against the run. We could walk away from Pierces contract a d save some against the cap. Unfortunately we are stuck with Tomlinson. As has been mentioned in other posts, moving to a 34 could put Jordan Davis and Travis Jones in play for us on draft day 

Should be fun watching the Vikings try to run a 3-4 when they don't even have 4 linebackers  :p

Quote: @supafreak84 said:

Interesting article, but it does kind of confirm gurus comments the other day about Kendricks not being a great scheme fit and the interior linebacker positions not being as important in this scheme and you can get by with average players. Money is spent on the back end and the edges. You might as well try to move him for draft picks and save the 9 million on his salary. 

Also wondering if changing to a 3-4 brings the possibility of Anthony Barr staying as he seems like a perfect fit. If the choice is between retaining Barr or Kendricks then it's Anthony Barr every time in a 3-4 defense 
Bummer, Kendricks has been one of our best D players for last several years...  Hate to see him leave...  Change is in the air!

Vikings hiring former Bears and Texans, University of Texas, Florida and Tennessee defensive line coach Chris Rumph as their defensive line coach, according to league sources
@PFN365

Bring Hicks with you.

Reported Vikings coaching hires so far:

HC: Kevin O'Connell
OC:
QBs:
RBs/RGC: Curtis Modkins
WRs:
TEs:
OL: Chris Kuper
DC: Ed Donatell
DL: Chris Rumph
LBs:
DBs:
STC:

Keeping Keenan McCardell is an option at WRs. Wes Phillips is a rumored option at OC.

Mark Schereth said building relationships has made #Vikings new DC Ed Donatell "successful." "It's really about that connectivity and what makes guys go, and that's what I've always appreciated about Ed... It's about building relationships... Guys play exceptionally hard for him"

Mark confirmed with me that each of his 18 knee surgeries did indeed hurt.

This hiring is surprising to me...My $ was on the guy from the Lions. 

Still not buying they'll switch to 3/4. Maybe as Guru said, some 3/4 looks now and then.