Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O'Neill comments
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Fans here have been saying this for a while now...

- Eagan doesn't look like a very happy place to be 
 - The truth will come out when the regime changes

Both are proving to be true.

Kendricks and O'Neill are both smart and savvy guys. They dont air their grievances over social media or during Festivus. So when they speak I'll listen (and believe). 

You don't need to give atta boys to adult professionals,   but at least acknowledge that they are there and may have some insight as professionals.
Yeah, actually you do. I do it all the time to my sales team and others that I manage. 'Adult professionals' regardless of what they do still like to be supported and encouraged. Its human nature. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Kendricks and O'Neill are both smart and savvy guys. They dont air their grievances over social media or during Festivus. So when they speak I'll listen (and believe). 

You don't need to give atta boys to adult professionals,   but at least acknowledge that they are there and may have some insight as professionals.
Yeah, actually you do. I do it all the time to my sales team and others that I manage. 'Adult professionals' regardless of what they do still like to be supported and encouraged. Its human nature. 
Ive been in sales my whole life,  closing a sale is my atta boy,  if my company wants to say something... do it at bonus time,  other than that its just lip service.

ever heard the saying I asked for a raise,  they gave me a title/promotion instead?  maybe some people need that verbal positive reinforcement,  mine comes in the form of compensation.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Ive been in sales my whole life,  closing a sale is my atta boy,  if my company wants to say something... do it at bonus time,  other than that its just lip service.

ever heard the saying I asked for a raise,  they gave me a title/promotion instead?  maybe some people need that verbal positive reinforcement,  mine comes in the form of compensation.
Been in sales/management my whole life as well and what I learned is everyone is different in terms of motivation.

I have dealt with many A-hole managers/directors and salespeople and while some of them may excel using a non-stop type A motor if they are dicks (like Zimmer is said to have been) they run their course.  The very best Managers I have worked for were business focused and were/are so skilled they seem to do everything effortlessly including motivating a sales force.  I have to say out of around 20+ managers I have ever had I would say around 4 or 5 were top notch.  Just like everything else there is a Bell-curve of skill set and competence at every level.  You see the Peter Principle a lot which is where guys like Zimmer end up when they try to be a HC and not just stick with DC.  

A sincere thank you from above can go a long ways.  

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

"Give George a headline and he's good for another 100 miles." --General Marshall on General Patton

But yeah, attaboys are huge. Probably as important for adults as they are for kids. Especially in our current environment, where burnout is epidemic.  For me personally, I prefer casual kudos to cop outs like gift cards or pre-formatted recognition slips. 

One thing though...it has to be genuine. Better no attaboy than a dishonest one. 

And since I'm on a rant, on a somewhat related note, I hate Chick-fil-a for a lot of reasons, but number one is "my pleasure." What, you don't have anything genuine to say? Something you mean? I guess not. Like a fucking robot, you roll with the "my pleasure" because that's what your boss told you to say. 

Not one size fits all in terms of motivating people who report to you.  And the % of younger folks who need or appreciate positive feedback is probably larger than baby boomers.  I think a good example of reading a room and acting accordingly is what Saban did yesterday after the game.   https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nick...18441.html. The best managers are able to use many different buttons to motivate his players/employees.  Not one size fits all.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Not one size fits all in terms of motivating people who report to you.  And the % of younger folks who need or appreciate positive feedback is probably larger than baby boomers.  I think a good example of reading a room and acting accordingly is what Saban did yesterday after the game.   https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nick...18441.html. The best managers are able to use many different buttons to motivate his players/employees.  Not one size fits all.
so many in management dont realize this.  they think because they read a book,  got a degree by regurgitating from that book,  and somebody gave them a title that they got it figured out.

I should have said that daily or frequent confirmation is unnecessary, imo that is just as bad as the opposite in that if somebody never says good job,  maybe they are just unappreciative or not the complimentary type, but if they are always saying it then they are ingenuine.  its nice to hear once in a while that you are appreciated,  but I still say the best way is at profit sharing time... If I have gone above and beyond for you,  say it with dollar bills.

Lets break it down to its simplest form. Inspired leadership consists of a lot of qualites. Sounds like Zim didnt have the interpersonal and trust element down

A great leader doesnt let the clowns direct the circus, but making them feel valued will inspire. 

From all i perceive, Zimmer was not accountable for his shortcomings and that was likely his weakness with his players. 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Not one size fits all in terms of motivating people who report to you.  And the % of younger folks who need or appreciate positive feedback is probably larger than baby boomers.  I think a good example of reading a room and acting accordingly is what Saban did yesterday after the game.   https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nick-saban-interrupts-press-conference-174518441.html. The best managers are able to use many different buttons to motivate his players/employees.  Not one size fits all.
Nobody is saying that one size fits all or that your turn people into praise junkies. What I'm saying is jimmy says adult professionals don't need 'atta boys' and I'm telling you they do. Everyone wants to be acknowledged they are doing well if they are on some level, some more than others. But all regardless. It isn't a maturity thing, its a human nature thing. Everyone wants to be valued. 

Quote: @"Still Hurtn" said:
Got a chance to spend a day with a former NFL kicker a few years back. I asked him about Zim. He said that guy is a A-hole. The guy didn't play for Zim. 
Mess with one kicker, you mess with them all.