Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raise a glass for Zimmer
Yup, sounds like an asshole.  Give the guy a break, he just got fired.  

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...8247882757

The two long-time leaders of the franchise handled the news differently. Spielman stuck around the facility because he wanted to speak with the players, all of whom he signed. He wished them luck and thanked them for their hard work. He was emotional in his address to the team. After that, he released a lengthy statement, writing, among other things, “While today is emotional, I wish the Minnesota Vikings and Vikings fans nothing but future success.”
Zimmer didn’t speak with the players after the news came down but did release a statement.
Zimmer’s relationship with some of the team’s key players had become strained. Even some of the ones he knew best and worked with the most became disenchanted with his leadership. Linebacker Eric Kendricks, who was a fixture of Zimmer’s defenses, didn’t mince words when discussing his former coach.
When asked about his relationship with Zimmer, which had been perceived as positive before Monday, Kendricks said: “I feel like there were some things left out there, as far as our relationship was concerned. That’s something you have to ask him.” Later during Kendricks’ press conference, he responded to a question about what culture he wants under the next Vikings coach by saying he wants everyone’s voice to be heard. Then he added, “I don’t think a fear-based organization is the way to go.”

Rick was classy
Zim was 100% pure asshole.

A few ex long time Vikings may disagree about Rick being classy.  Of course EK has always been the voice of reason.  Nothing sez mature like a bitter shot at the coach that drafted you and helped make you a star.

Quote: @JustinTime18™ said:
The two long-time leaders of the franchise handled the news differently. Spielman stuck around the facility because he wanted to speak with the players, all of whom he signed. He wished them luck and thanked them for their hard work. He was emotional in his address to the team. After that, he released a lengthy statement, writing, among other things, “While today is emotional, I wish the Minnesota Vikings and Vikings fans nothing but future success.”
Zimmer didn’t speak with the players after the news came down but did release a statement.
Zimmer’s relationship with some of the team’s key players had become strained. Even some of the ones he knew best and worked with the most became disenchanted with his leadership. Linebacker Eric Kendricks, who was a fixture of Zimmer’s defenses, didn’t mince words when discussing his former coach.
When asked about his relationship with Zimmer, which had been perceived as positive before Monday, Kendricks said: “I feel like there were some things left out there, as far as our relationship was concerned. That’s something you have to ask him.” Later during Kendricks’ press conference, he responded to a question about what culture he wants under the next Vikings coach by saying he wants everyone’s voice to be heard. Then he added, “I don’t think a fear-based organization is the way to go.”

Rick was classy
100 percent?  That's kinda harsh.  Let us be reasonable and say 99 and 44/100 percent.   :p

Quote: @comet52 said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

Rick was classy
100 percent?  That's kinda harsh.  Let us be reasonable and say 99 and 44/100 percent.   :p
I can agree to that.

Quote: @greediron said:
A few ex long time Vikings may disagree about Rick being classy.  Of course EK has always been the voice of reason.  Nothing sez mature like a bitter shot at the coach that drafted you and helped make you a star.
I think Kendricks is a tremendous football player and team leader that played his heart for this team.  We don't know what was said in team meetings or on the practice fields.  I trust Eric's judgement and evaluation of the coach.  And I agree, a fear based coaching style is not the way to go...

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@greediron said:
I think Kendricks is a tremendous football player and team leader that played his heart for this team.  We don't know what was said in team meetings or on the practice fields.  I trust Eric's judgement and evaluation of the coach.  And I agree, a fear based coaching style is not the way to go...
Fear based coaching is probably why the Vikings went through so many kickers, and why Cousins checked the ball down a lot. Even though Zimmer said, he needed to open up more, did he really mean it? If you live in fear of making mistakes, you can’t perform at your best.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
@greediron said:
EK is a tremendous football player, but I don't recall him wearing the green dot even as the Mike who was always on the field.  Was he ever a team captain?  I don't recall.  I don't trust many players evaluation of coaches.  And like I said, taking a bitter parting shot sez plenty about him.

@IDVikingfan said:
@greediron said:
EK is a tremendous football player, but I don't recall him wearing the green dot even as the Mike who was always on the field.  Was he ever a team captain?  I don't recall.  I don't trust many players evaluation of coaches.  And like I said, taking a bitter parting shot sez plenty about him.
I love Kendricks but his play this year had regressed significantly.  I would imagine like any good coach that Zimmer called him out on it and apparently he couldn't handle it.

I like Zimmer, I think he got dealt a few bad cards here otherwise things could have been different.  Everyone has their own communication style, he is old school and maybe did not want to break down in front of the team or maybe he had already addressed the team last night, certainly no one here knows for sure. 

In regards to the classless poster who chose to use profanity on Zimmer, I would say that it certainly seems like a classic case of an accurate self projection. 

@IDVikingfan said:
@greediron said:
Only a team leader if wear the green dot (coaches decision) or team captain?  (shrug) still believe he is respected by his teammates and clearly leads by example.  We don't know the back story behind his comments.  We can have differing opinions as to whether his comments say negative things about Zimmer or Kendricks or both, no problem.